PDA

View Full Version : 1250 DE for doubles tourney (1250x2)

VVar
29-09-2008, 16:51
Need help creating a list for an upcoming doubles tourney at my local game shop...the only things I'm really worried about are VC and Daemons, both of which have magic that just eats me up. Hardest two are Tzeentch and a 3 vamp list...my partner will be VC

Anyways, here's the list:

Master
+pendant of khaeleth
+great weapon
+BSB
+blood armor

Black Guard x14
+musician
+standard bearer
+standard of hag graef
+tower master
+ring of hotek

Dark Riders x5
+musician
+repeater crossbows

Dark Riders x5
+musician
+repeater crossbows

Dark Riders x5
+musician
+repeater crossbows

Hydra

Cold One Knights x5

Cold One Chariot

Harpies x5

Stategy is relatively simple and dark elf-ish....black guard hammer unit moves up center with master (ring of hotek will provide some magic protection for the unit and anything in that 12" bubble. I will just have to make sure my partner does not try to cast into it :)). Dark Riders and Cold One Knights go up the flanks and set up for charges and shooting. Harpies are war machine and caster hunters as usual.

The army's weakness is obviously very little magic defense...I had a very hard time making a list that had strong magic defense, even a simple scroll caddy would cost me 150 pts...and I'm not sure that would be worth it. I was also thinking of a list with three level 2's and no black guard, but I really hate to lose such a powerful unit.

Anyways...any advice is helpful. Remember that it's for a tournament so I would like it to be as competitive as possible.

Grom Wronghand
29-09-2008, 17:33
I'm no expert but it looks like a decent enough list by itself. More importantly, can you tell us what your partner's army will be?

VVar
29-09-2008, 18:09
I'm no expert but it looks like a decent enough list by itself. More importantly, can you tell us what your partner's army will be?

My partner will be VC (only mentioned that once in my post, so it's easy to miss :P)

VVar
29-09-2008, 18:12
Here is my second list that I'm considering....it's extremely top heavy with magic and not any infantry or holding units whatsoever....if I went this path my partner would probably load up on ghouls etc and provide a base while my army would be flanking support, shooting, and magic offense.

Sorceress-100
+dark steed
+level 2 wizard
+tome of furion
Total-182

Sorceress
+dark steed
+level 2 wizard
+darkstar cloak
Total-172

Sorceress
+dark steed
+level 2 wizard
+seal of ghrond
Total-162

Dark Riders x5
+musician
+repeater crossbows

Dark Riders x5
+musician
+repeater crossbows

Dark Riders x5
+musician
+repeater crossbows

Cold One Knights x5

Hydra

Harpies x7

Gokamok
29-09-2008, 20:09
I think the 2nd list could be rather strong if your VC buddy goes heavy on ghouls and combat-caster vamps:D

Something like:

Vampire (General)
-Dread Knight, Walking Death
-Walach's Bloody Hauberk
195 points

Vampire
-Dark Acolyte, Avatar of Death
-Power Stone, Sword of Might
185 points

Vampire
-Dark Acolyte, Avatar of Death
-Power Stone, Sword of Battle
185 points

3x19 Ghouls w/ Ghast
480 points

2x Corpse Cart w/ Balefire
200 points

1245 points

That should provide you with enough offensive/defensive magic power to give most Tzeentch lists a run for their money, and would still make for a quite heavy battleline:)

Mannfred
30-09-2008, 09:30
Well i mean when it comes to playing double tournaments there are two ways to play; either compliment each other weaknesses; so VC no shooting so u do like 2 bolt throwers and crossbowsmen...or u go full out on ur strengths; so both VC and Dark Elves are magic so u max out on it....

From ur friends VC list it seems he's playing full agreesive with three unit of ghouls; so u can do like a fully cav list or keep going with like a 3 sorceress list with lots of warriors and bulk out on heaps of magic....

I played a doubles tournament recently with my tag team partner being a tzeentch player...i did like a full shooting army and like yeah fully power gamed....rewarding but boring....

Corum Jhaelen Irsei
30-09-2008, 11:38
Sounds good but be careful of enemy missile fire, it will eat quickly through your army due to the low model count

VVar
30-09-2008, 15:22
As far as missile fire is concerned, I should be able to use his ghouls as screens; the only large model in my list is the hydra. And the VC list posted above isn't mine, it's just a recommendation from a fellow poster here.

Anyways, I wanted to use only models that I currently own or can create quickly. This means no block infantry whatsoever other than the black guard...I hate blocks, much prefer the fast movement and tactical differences of a glass cannon-ish cav army.

dude.sweet101@yahoo.co.uk
01-10-2008, 08:42
That fast cav army is a pig to play against as all 3 wizards redeploy so quickly and then blast the bejeezus out of something until it dies from it (IE "to death")

Beware the Jabbawo...sorry, magic missile army though, its casting on 2 dice at ya and the consequences of a couple of d6 s4 mm would be catastrophic. Your mate needs to take scrolls.

Hydras are outstanding for their pts cost/scare the crap out of your opponent ratio.

I always find with cold ones that they fail their Ld test in small games, and always by 1, just at the critical time.

You are 100% correct about the executioners with the asf banner- they are a top unit in the game now, hatred is nuts and the cauldron just makes them unbelievably killy unless you are fighting knights- even then they have to pass a crap load of saves.

Cheers

Defender of Ulthuan
01-10-2008, 13:57
Considering that combat is your partner's strength and magic is his lifeblood, I would do one of two things:

1.Play magic strong (2 casters should do it) with loads of shooting (as many xbows and RBTs as you can fit) and a unit or two of DR for interference.

OR

2. Take only one mage and focus on unit-breakers like chariots and Hydras to bring the hammer to his anvil. The rest of your points should be in DR and harpies. If you want to run this list and have input into his army's composition, tell him to go zombie/rez heavy.

You two are in the unique position of having armies which complement each other perfectly, so use both armies' strengths to make sure you have no weaknesses.

Defender

VVar
01-10-2008, 15:22
Thanks so far for the responses guys, very helpful. I'll go create a couple more lists...I built a 4th unit of DR's so I may even try to fit them in, they ALWAYS make their points up