PDA

View Full Version : Warband Victory Conditions

EmperorNorton
30-09-2008, 21:29
There's a Warband Campaign coming up at my FLGS, but I'm at odds with the guy who's going to run it about the Victory Conditions.

The problem is one sentence on page 9:
"Note that no VPs are scored for table quarters, slain Commanders, or captured unit or battle standards, unless one of these is an Unknown Objective."

You get 20% of your opponent's starting points value if you achieve your Unknown Objective, which I think the above refers to. But the other guy argues that it means you get the 20% PLUS the 100 points as described in the Warhammer rulebook.

Is there a clarification on this?

Faustburg
30-09-2008, 22:02
All those variations of the main rules are very much depending on the players agreeing on oddities, and not trying to bend it around.

If the "unknown objective" is stuff like hold a piece of terrain in the middle, get into the opponents deployment zone, capture the enemy battle standard or kill their general, it wouldn't make sense that the latter gives 100+20% VP, while the former only gives 20%, would it?

EmperorNorton
30-09-2008, 22:04
If the "unknown objective" is stuff like hold a piece of terrain in the middle, get into the opponents deployment zone, capture the enemy battle standard or kill their general, it wouldn't make sense that the latter gives 100+20% VP, while the former only gives 20%, would it?

Of course it wouldn't, and that's my stance, but I haven't been able to convince the guy who's going to run the campaign of that.

Mercules
02-10-2008, 15:07
The line in question is not saying that you get normal victory points for those it is saying you ONLY get points for those things from Hidden Objectives.

Here is the reasoning for that and use this in your discussion with him.

100 point army

Commander dies and is part of the Hidden Objective: Assassinate. If you got 100+20% then you would get 120 points plus whatever the Commander cost. If you look at the table then you end up with a Massacre.

The idea of 20% is so that the point reward scales with the army size. You don't get it for everything though, just accomplishing your Hidden Objective. This keeps the point values low and that is why the table on the same page is set up with the limits it has.