PDA

View Full Version : Good DE lord combos

Dark Apostle197
01-10-2008, 01:22
For infantry lord. Specifically one leading Black Gaurd.

The BG do not have ASF banner, cause another unit already does.

Lord Dan
01-10-2008, 03:03
I take a rather simple kit, depending on the point values:

In 2,000 point games:
Dreadlord
Armor of Eternal Servitude, Pearl of Infinite Bleakness, Additional hand weapon

In 2,250 point games:
Dreadlord
Armor of Erernal Servitude, Pearl of Infinite Bleakness, Dagger of Hotek, Sea Dragon Cloak

When I get up out of tournament point ranges, say about 2,500-3,000 points, I'll often swap the dagger for the lifetaker to add some fun variety to the list.

Dark Apostle197
01-10-2008, 04:22
For mine I was thinking Hydra blade, 1+ armor, Pendant of Kaeleth.

Pretty expensive though, and keep hearing hydra blade isn't worth it (though in the 3 games I used it, it was nice to have, even against empire knights cause added a lot more saves).

Freenut
01-10-2008, 04:32
Had a lot of luck with, sea dragon cloak, armor of eternal servitude, pendent of khaeleth, crimsom death.

Dark Apostle197
01-10-2008, 04:54
Oh, Crimson death is out of question too, cause I have the Black Gaurd Captain. Thanks for suggestions.

sulla
01-10-2008, 05:56
Pendant of Khaleth, heavy armour, s.d. cloak, great weapon, 2 repeater pistols.

That's bare bones and very good. Anything else is gravy on top.

Vilicate
01-10-2008, 08:21
How about giving him the Potion of Strength in addition to the Hydra Blade. Then when you need him to, he's got 4+d3 S7 attacks, to bust a chariot or just completely murder the front rank of something.

Nomad
01-10-2008, 18:59
Armour of Darkness, Pendant of Khaeleth, whatever weapons you want. I'd rather take Crimson Death on the lord than the Black Guard champion and then give the champion a Null Talisman (or maybe the Ring of Hotek), but it's your choice.

Dark Apostle197
01-10-2008, 22:04
Well, I took Kouran to make the unit ubreakable. He has to have crimson death.

Time of Madness
02-10-2008, 01:03
Kouran is a waste of points and not needed in my opinion. Villicate already mentioned one of the best combos. The hydra blade combined with the potion of strenght and the ASF banenr is gold. Give the unit champ the ring of hotek for the magic protection (one of the best items in the game).
Time of Madness

Dark Apostle197
02-10-2008, 03:42
I think I am going to drop Kouran (been thinking about it cause I wanted Crimson Death on Lord) and buy furies with extra points.

LKHERO
02-10-2008, 06:41
Pendant and Crimson Death is the only way to take him. Everything else is optional.

Pasch
02-10-2008, 09:36
Personally I'd go with the Pendant + Armor of Eternal Servitude + Sea Dragon Cloak + Shield and take whatever weapon you prefer that you have points left over for. Might want to consider throwing him on a Cold One or a Dark Steed also for the added armor bonus. Cold One gives better armor but gives you the risk of stupidity.

While a good armor save + the pendant makes a really hard to kill Lord, adding regeneration to the mix will make him very very unlikely to die against anything without a flaming attack.

gaiaterra
02-10-2008, 12:26
You will have to drop Kouran if you want your Lord to join the BG, as Kouran makes the BG unbreakable, and as your Lord is not unbreakable he would not be able to join them if Kouran is present.

Dark Apostle197
02-10-2008, 13:20
Oh, well that makes the choice very easy haha.

Mannfred
02-10-2008, 13:36
Lol i don't understand why everyone puts there lord with their blackguard. . .i mean like isn't that just like the perfect basket....like i mean yeah sure give them like asf....but like they only got heavy armour so like arrows are gonna hurt...and let along warmachinese....

Now apart from all those other random choices serious guys...if i throw a dreadlord into blackguards i take - Ring of Darkness (Half BS against shooting attacks at himself/unit -- and half WS of attacks directed at lord) - meaning it protects ur unit from shooting and even in combat heroes will mostly hit on 5s....cept some lords will hit on 4s not too sure...and chill blade...now true u have like no armour...like 1+ save...and ward save...but a dread lord will always hit on 3s and with 4 attacks....and re-rolls to hit...so thats probably 3-4 toughness tests for ur opponant - fail one - they can't attack and get no armour save...

Now....for me i throw my dread lord into a unit of warriors...maybe wierd and funny but i feel other units have enough killing power to not need the lords grace.....So i personally throw my lord into a unit of 28 spearmen....7 wide and 4 deep....full command and the standard of muder....now....for my lord i take - Ring of Darkness (yesh i want to protect my spearmen) - Dagger of Hotek - (ASF 5 attacks) and Gem of Nightmares....now....

With a total of 29 models in the unit - if i take a charge - my lord goes first - 5 attacks (ASF - armour piercing) and maybe 10 attacks with armour piecring....all attacks are directed at the unit....don't care bout characters.....now...if it's a unit of really kick **** units with a character - i reveal my gem of nightmares (they probably don't care since yeah kick **** units tend to have ld 9 or 10) but if i win combat it's double ones champ no matter wats in that unit and i simply run it down...if i can't i'll charge it again....and then just make it flee again...and yeah trouble usually occurs...

If u got points to spare throw in an assassin and yeah people will turn white when they need to roll double one from spearmen...

Dark Apostle197
02-10-2008, 14:00
Well he's going in Black Gaurd because the way I want to run the list, the Black Gaurd are the only big block.

gorenut
02-10-2008, 22:00
Pretty much you can't go wrong with Dreadlord as long as you slap on the Pendent of Khaleth.

I personally like my Dreadlord on a Cold One in a unit of infantry. Serves multiple purposes.. giving the unit he's in an extra rank with 1 less model and having an addition str 4 attack. Fear helps too.

Dark Apostle197
02-10-2008, 23:59
I don't really want to risk stupidty and unit has fear from banner, so I think I will go with 1+, CD, Pedant.

Thanks guys.

VVar
03-10-2008, 01:49
Armor of darkness, crimson death, and pendant is by far the way to go in most cases. Glad you chose that one :). Some of the recommendations in this thread are just terrible

Lord Dan
03-10-2008, 03:57
Because they're different? Or is being succeptable to losing at the risk of having a fun, varied game outside of your comfort zone?

There are a lot more decent items in the book than the pendant, armor of darkness, and crimson death. You should check them out when you're ready.

SolarHammer
03-10-2008, 04:29
But why take decent items when you can have the best items?

Lord Dan
03-10-2008, 04:41
Now, let's not start that. ;)

Dark Apostle197
03-10-2008, 05:13
Well... I really wanted to use the draichmaster model as my lord... so...:angel:

Hey I made a list, check it out in Army List forum please.

VVar
03-10-2008, 15:21
Because they're different? Or is being succeptable to losing at the risk of having a fun, varied game outside of your comfort zone?

There are a lot more decent items in the book than the pendant, armor of darkness, and crimson death. You should check them out when you're ready.

I play a large variety of DE builds, but when someone asks for advice on ones that are considered better, that's what they'll get. Other builds require quite a bit of different strategy, but with the generic PoD/CD/AoD you really have a versatile kit. In addition to that, you can still have fun games while playing the "best" combination, provided both players are trying to make their army it's best. I play in a very competitive shop, and everyone still has a ton of fun.

SolarHammer
03-10-2008, 16:46
Shouldn't that be PoK?

VVar
04-10-2008, 01:12
Shouldn't that be PoK?

Oops my bad, yes :)

maze ironheart
04-10-2008, 09:27
Heres one dagger of hoteck potion of strength and that item that makes your enemy's WS go down by half have him sit in a corsair unit with the banner that makes them suffer -1 to armour saves when a cavalry unit hits them the lord will wipe them out.

MonkeyLord
04-10-2008, 16:07
Honestly, Armor of Darkness is ok and all, but a far better build is the Armor of Eternal Servitude, Pendant of Khaeleth, and Crimson Death. Why spend magic item points on a 1+ armor save when you can get that through mundane items? Slap him on a Cold One and give him a Shield and a Sea Dragon Cloak. Sure, he only has a 2+ in close combat, but statistically you're much better off with three layers of saves (armor/ward/regen) rather than only 2.

Dark Apostle197
04-10-2008, 17:09
Well, Cold ones are stupid, which can mess up plans.

Grimmeth
28-10-2008, 14:20
With the Banner of Cold blood (is that right?) you can seriously minimise that effect though, almost ensuring (on LD10) that the unit will be able to charge when it needs to.

Von Wibble
28-10-2008, 14:29
Honestly, Armor of Darkness is ok and all, but a far better build is the Armor of Eternal Servitude, Pendant of Khaeleth, and Crimson Death. Why spend magic item points on a 1+ armor save when you can get that through mundane items? Slap him on a Cold One and give him a Shield and a Sea Dragon Cloak. Sure, he only has a 2+ in close combat, but statistically you're much better off with three layers of saves (armor/ward/regen) rather than only 2.

True, but its also more expensive, and if like me you don't on principle mount characters leading foot units (silly silly rule) not an option. That said, with hatred affecting mounts I am finding the manticore/dragon a better way to go.

Grimmeth
28-10-2008, 15:26
Hatred affects mounts? How did I miss this? :o

That makes Black Dragons quite possibly the most vicious thing on the planet now!

Galatan
28-10-2008, 15:41
If you have the ASF banner in the black guard, why take crimson death and not just a great weapon? Thanks to the banner the great weapon doesn't strike last and you still have S6. It's also saves a bucket load in points.

Mullitron
28-10-2008, 15:54
Hatred affects mounts? How did I miss this? :o

That makes Black Dragons quite possibly the most vicious thing on the planet now!

They are nasty!

Draconian77
31-10-2008, 22:35
Dreadlord, Dark Steed, Sea Dragon Cloak, Shield, Deathpiercer, Pendant of Khaeleth, Armour of Eternal Servitude

Doesn't die and eventually killing blows something big... Slap him into a unit of Black Guard or I suppose you could mount him on a Peg and go Knight hunting.

3 saves is ridiculous and KB shouldn't be underestimated with more Regen then ever flying around.

Grimmeth
01-11-2008, 13:43
Why not try Heartseeker instead of Crimson Death, Not yet done the maths but re-rolling all failed rolls to hit and wound must make the probabilities come fairly close to that of Crimson Death, and as it's single handed can use a shield too? Although less likely to get through armour...

Draconian77
01-11-2008, 20:01
I find both Crimson Death and Heartseeker to be pointless. Heartseeker doesn't get through high toughness or armour which is what your lord needs to be able to deal with. The Crimson Death is just so conservative and still isn't that great against 1+ or better saves. Killing Blow with S6 on the charge is much better, gets through any armour and ignores regen. Added to that its cheaper and different.

W0lf
01-11-2008, 20:11
1. Alwats take pendant of khaleth.
2. Make his high strength if hes in a S4 unit. Id suggest pendant, 1+ and GW.

theunwantedbeing
01-11-2008, 20:21
Lance, Dragon, Heavy armour, Sheild, Sea Dragon cloak.
Done.

Screw the pendant, put it on somebody who isnt going to kill everyone he get's in base contact with. Somebody who will get some use out of it, like a battle standard bearer.

Norngahl
02-11-2008, 13:04
I'd go for 17 BGs, with full command, banner of hag graef, ring of hotek on the camp, and a lord with Pendant, Armor of Darkness, and Soulrender. 4 Attacks, strengh 6 (like with crimson death), but -4 on the enemy armor save and 10 points cheaper.

In my opinion, best option ever. Put this unit into the middle of your army and it grands you magical protection, hard hitting unit, good against infanterie but even against cavallery deadly (special thanks to the lord with -4 armor save), and you can even form a protective line with them because they are stubborn AND will always hit first, even if you are charged by a uber-unit.

Take the Lord and Unit like this and you have (in my opinion) the best dark elf choice you can get.
Of course you can pimp up a CoK unit, but they cost more and are more fragile. The BG+ defensive anti armor lord is the best combination to have a hart hitting allround unit that can deal with every unit, and that fore 316 points of BG and 215 for the Lord. Also remember that the lord can block EVERY enemy character.

I just love this unit. Add a cauldron and they tear the whole enemy army apart on themselves (except for the first turn where you should take the 5+ward save against shooting, always take +1 attack, it`s statistically more effective on this unit).

greetings