PDA

View Full Version : 2250pts of Skaven hordey goodness

General Squeek Squeek
02-10-2008, 13:46
I've been playing with a completely horde army that didn't involve any aspects of shooting baring a scroll caddy and a couple 2 man units of pwg. With the recent army books (especially daemons) I've found that the traditional horde just isn't what it used to be. So after much disgust with myself here it goes a horde army that uses a few of the pesky skyre units.

green=edited stuff, Ok so I've revamped the list and filled in the missing points. I scrapped the rat ogres b/c lets face it there not worth the points. I a unit of plague censor bearers to fill that roll. i increased the size of the plague monks to 28 so I could run them 7 wide so they'd have 21 attacks. I dropped the night runners to units of 5. I gave my mage equipment and the storm daemon for something to do in the magic phase. additionally I might surprise my opponents when the priest use's his pestilence breath. Is this a better list then my original (highlighted in red)???.

Warlord- heavy armor, shield, foul pendant

warlock engineer- 1 scroll, storm daemon, full gear (minus pistol)

Plague Priest- LB (the book that makes him lvl1 mage), Flail

BSB- storm banner

4X30 clanrats- standard, musician

4X21 slaves

4X5 Night runners

2 ratling guns

4X2 poison wind globadiers

1X35 Giant rats

2X3 Gutter runners

1X28 Plague monks- xtra handweapon, banner, musician

Warplightning Cannon

I still have over 300 units so its still a horde, but its far smaller then my 350 that I normally use. Any suggestions???

OLD LIST:
Warlord- great weapon, heavy armor, foul pendant, shield

warlock engineer- 2 scrolls

BSB- storm banner

4X30 clanrats- standard, musician

4X21 slaves

4X6 Night runners

2 ratling guns

4X2 poison wind globadiers

1X35 Giant rats

2X4 Gutter runners

1X2 Rat Ogres

1X20 Plague monks- xtra handweapon, banner, musician

Warplightning Cannon

gerrymander61
02-10-2008, 15:31
1 big unit of giant rats will get you nowhere. They panic way too easily because they have no armor save. Split them up into much smaller units so you can use them as flankers. Even a unit of 1 pack is amazing because they are easily overlooked, dont easily panic other units, but can still negate ranks.

The unit of plague monks should either be bigger or removed becasue they also die easily with no armor save. Also, for me at least, the only point of taking plague monks is to take plague censer bearers which are 10 different kinds of amazing. Make sure you get a unit of those.

If you want rat ogres, you'd be much better off picking ogres from the Ogre Kingdoms list. This does take up a rare slot which would be better spent on censer bearers (imo) but at least those ogres aren't completely worthless.

Rest looks pretty solid.

General Squeek Squeek
02-10-2008, 16:35
Redid list in OP

General Squeek Squeek
03-10-2008, 04:51
Ok I've redone my list. Does this look better then the original???

General Squeek Squeek
04-10-2008, 02:39
.... well you know your list is unpopular when you have three times as many posts in it as everyone else:D:D

gerrymander61
04-10-2008, 20:24
ok, pretty decent. Drop the kit on the engineer, with only one of them, you're not going to get any spells off, so just make him a naked scroll caddy, stick him in the back of a unit, and forget about him. I also don't really like the book on the plague priest. Not only will you never ever get that spell to cast, but he'd be better off equipped as a fighter to help out the monk unit.

The only other thing i'd do is split up that huge unit of giant rats. A unit of that size with no armor save is a liability because they are NOT expendable. Split it up to make some awesome units of flankers. I take single packs of rats and it works beautifully for me, but if you feel more comfortable with bigger units, 2 is a good size. 5 packs though is too big. giant rats are not meant to, and indeed cannot, go toe to toe against infantry. They are great at being the thorn in the enemy's side. So downsize/split up the unit.

Actually, if you drop the kit from the engineer (40 points), cut 1 unit of globadiers (20), and then 2 packs of rats (60), you'll have enough for a unit of 7 censer bearers, which are awesome.

Just a thought