PDA

View Full Version : Chapter trims

Helsing
03-10-2008, 07:55
So I was looking over the 4th edition SM codex and noticed it looks kind of silly having a sunrise mango trim on a Ultramarines blue armor. It looks gharish and ghastly, so I was thinking, fluff wise, is it okay to just paint the trime in white or black, as these are part of their color scheme already, no matter what company they are from?

Koryphaus
03-10-2008, 09:07
Man, you can do whatever you like with your models.

The Ultramarines have multiple companies - there is no rule that forces you to paint your models as members of the 2nd Company. If you want to paint your guys with white trim, go ahead and maybe say that they are from the veterans (distinguish actual veterans by painting more of the helmet perhaps?). If you want ot paint them black, then they can be from the 5th Co, which has black trim. the 4th Co is green, the 3rd is red.

My Imperial Fists all have red shoulder trim as they are from the 3rd Co, mainly because I like the red/yellow combination. However, to represent casualties and their replacements, one of my Multi-Melta gunners has blue trim to show he is from the 9th Company. One marine has green trim, as he is from the 4th Co. 1 of my sergeants has white trim because he is an actual 1st company veteran.

Cartographer
03-10-2008, 09:08
So I was looking over the 4th edition SM codex and noticed it looks kind of silly having a sunrise mango trim on a Ultramarines blue armor. It looks gharish and ghastly, so I was thinking, fluff wise, is it okay to just paint the trime in white or black, as these are part of their color scheme already, no matter what company they are from?

And yet full body armour of ultramarine blue doesn't look gharish or ghastly?

Fluff-wise, the marines are proud of their company colours and would never consider wearing anything else, with the possible exception of artificer armour (but then anything goes for artificer armour).

Otherwise, they're your models, paint them how you like.

destroyerlord
03-10-2008, 09:19
Is there any particular reason you want your marines to be 4th co.? Why not just use a different company trim and all?

Cartographer
03-10-2008, 09:35
By sunrise mango I assume you mean orange (rather than yellow), in which case the marines would be from the 6th company which is the first of the tactical reserve companies.
(yellow would be 2nd company, and one of the battle companies).
For reference, each company in a codex chapter has a distinct colour.
1st Veteran company - White
2nd Battle company - Yellow
3rd Battle company - Red
4th Battle company - Green
5th Battle company - Black
6th Tactical company - Orange
7th Tactical company - Pink
8th Assault company - Grey
9th Devastator company - Blue
10th Scout company - N/A

Typically, your force would be drawn from one of the battle companies, with some units taken from the Veteran (Terminators, Veterans) and Scout (Scouts) companies. Additionally, the force would draw upon elements from the reserve companies as needed (ie more long range firepower needed - untis from the Devastator company). These additional elements would display their company colours, but the entire army would feature a campaign badge (usually on the knee or leg) linking them together.

The Phazer
03-10-2008, 10:28
I'd agree that the simplest solution here seems to be to make your marines fifth company and paint the trims black.

Phazer

Frankye
03-10-2008, 11:10
if you do not have shoulderpads with a molded omega on you could consider some ultramarines successor chapters, some of them have similar colour schemes, and since there's no details on the trim of the variuos companies you could make that one up.

Leunam
03-10-2008, 12:36
I thought second company was Gold?

PondaNagura
03-10-2008, 14:25
nope, second is yellow traditionally (although i newer dex images they made it gold) and 7th should be purple, not pink (although i can understand why soemone would think that).

Leunam
03-10-2008, 14:45
Yeah, that's what I'm basing my info on. Some of the models have gold trim while others are yellow. I guess it's not too late to re-paint those trims.

Cartographer
03-10-2008, 14:56
I thought second company was Gold?

Nah, they just want you to think that because it makes them look less sissy ;)

Leunam
03-10-2008, 15:15
The Lexicanum confirms Yellow or Gold. It also confirmed White or Silver for the first company, which was something else I was wondering about.

Cartographer
03-10-2008, 15:18
It's all propaganda I tells ya!
The UM were tired of being referred to as "Smurfs" so changed their veteran colours accordingly. The 2nd coy just coppied them...

Messiah
03-10-2008, 15:32
The Lexicanum confirms Yellow or Gold. It also confirmed White or Silver for the first company, which was something else I was wondering about.

Yep, those are the typical interchangeable colours in medieval heraldry.

Hideous Loon
03-10-2008, 15:39
Well, since yellow symbolises gold in heraldry, I guess you could use both.

But I personally prefer the 4th edition, more subtle blue-and-gold Ultras.