PDA

View Full Version : TK Tournament Army - Suggestions

adatopoulos
04-10-2008, 17:15
Hi everyone, i'm going to participate a local tourney with TK after playing with Orcs for a long time. What do you think about this army list?

Characters

Tomb King (Chariot, Flail of Skulls, Collar of Shapesh, Vambraces of the Sun) 300
Tomb Prince (Chariot, Flail, Brooch of the Great Desert) 172
Tomb Prince (Chariot, Flail, Icon of Rulership) 167
Lich Priest (Cloak of Dunes, Hierartic Jar) 160

Core

5 Skeleton Chariots (Standard, Champion, Icon of the Sacred Eye) 290
3 Skeleton Chariots (Standard) 140
3 Skeleton Chariots (Standard) 140

Special

3 Ushabti 195
Tomb Scorpion 85
Tomb Scorpion 85
Tomb Scorpion 85

Rare

Screaming Skull Catapult 90
Screaming Skull Catapult 90

My justifications for some units/builds:

1) 2 SSC? I found that the biggest difficulty with TK is S7 characters on flying mounts namely Star Dragon, Bloodthrister, Dark Elf Lord on Dragon (Pot of Str) etc. Having no rank/file units to tie them up (and even if i include rank/file, they can just ignore it with their flying movement and kill chariots), the only solution i found is to focus casting Smiting incantation to catapults and/or charge with King and hoping to kill the monster with flail of skulls, and/or hoping that he fails his Ld test after killing King/Prince.

2) No Skulls of Foe? Many armies in WH are immune to it, and the reason we include catapults is to shoot large targets.

3) No unit champions in small chariot units? Champions are expensive, and doesn't prevent a charging S7 hero character to destroy the unit. The only solution i found is to have 3 chariots in front rank, with prince in middle, so he can challenge and besides, that character build is rare in tournement envinronment.

4) Icon of Rulership lawl n00b!!?? When i build this army the first time, i had Light Armor for all characters, and shield for princes. That left me 10 pts, which i took a musician for 1 of small chariot units (i can't take it for main chariot unit, because sometimes i want 3 chariots in front rank, and it's not possible with Std, Musician, Champ + character) But i found that everytime i'm in combat, people always try to hit prince/king's chariot instead of the character itself. So it wasn't useful. So i removed shields and LA's, that left me with 20 pts, which is why i took this item... I didn't playtested it yet so i'm not sure if it's viable or not...

Any suggestions?

Ymir
05-10-2008, 00:28
Well, Skulls of the Foe isn't -that- great, I only take it when I have points left. You'll do fine without it.

Maybe a War Banner could be useful? Chariots need all the help they can get with combat resolution.

Or Chariot of Fire?

I haven't really got any experience with tournaments, but it seems to me like an army with only one liche priest will have so few dispel dice it'll get a major headache each and every magic phase. You got the brooch though, that'll help of course...

I would swap one prince for another priest, for sure. A mounted one.

Also, I've always liked the idea with an Icon Bearer in a chariot. Yeah, I know he sucks, but give him a good banner, and the chariot unit he is with a War Banner, and you'll have +2 Combat Resolution every time, and -1 to damage from losing, plus additional benefits from the Icon Bearer's banner. I'd like to try that some day.

LION
05-10-2008, 06:49
:)I would also swap one Prince for a LichePriest and strengthen the Chariot units / amalgamate into two. Two biger units with M Standards and the added chances of being moved at vital timers by the 2nd LPriest would seem prudent LION

march10k
06-10-2008, 15:32
If you're basically just throwing the magic phase to the wind, you might as well just drop the last priest and take Settra...