PDA

View Full Version : Chaos Warriors: Khorne or Tzeentch?

Madgear Thundaklutch
04-10-2008, 19:22
I am looking to start warriors of chaos with the release of the new army book. I am torn between going with Khorne or Tzeentch. I will be running a mono-god army. I love that a Khorne Warrior with two hand weapons has 4 attacks, but I also love Tzeentch, Magic, the colors, etc.

So combat or magic? :D

EndlessBug
04-10-2008, 21:53
Hard to say with noone having the book yet. what other armies do you have? If they've magic heavy go Khorne, if not go Tzeentch. Both will be powerful no doubt as gw have given them UBER buffs it seems. Just promise me you wont use the Tzeentch 6th spell of CHEESE. Seriously I don't know what they were thinking (thank god I have ring of hotek).

Citizen
04-10-2008, 22:45
A unit with MoK will be frenzied. So, all it will take your opponent to keep that unit out of the game for a fairly long time is a cheap, small unit with a Musician who choose to flee every time they get charged. Whereas MoT will give you a 6+ Ward Save, giving you a little bit more longetivity.

The whole Frenzied thing will only really be a problem if you're playing a fairly competent general, but there are plenty about and it gives your opponent the advantage of keeping that unit out of the way for atleast one or two turns, and if it goes his way, until he's ready to deal with it.

Madgear Thundaklutch
05-10-2008, 02:10
@Endless - My current army is LM, and I feel with that army I can do an effective magic list without going uber points and using a Slann. I feel I can get a better rounded magic list using WoC, and get better troops while im at it.

Stihv
05-10-2008, 03:00
Well the this about Khorne armies in the new Warriors book, is that MoK does not give dispel dice anymore. There is one gift of chaos, and one magic item that gives magic resistance (2), but that's about it; so against magic heavy armies, or even armies with decent magic, it will hurt. Also the fact that your entire army is frenzied isn't exactly a good thing. But that's just my opinion on Khorne lists in the new book. So unless you plan to take wizards, a Khorne army isn't exactly a very good choice, but that's just me...

Madgear Thundaklutch
05-10-2008, 03:17
I kinda thought it would be hard to bait an entire army ;)

Stihv
05-10-2008, 03:38
I kinda thought it would be hard to bait an entire army ;)

True, but since your entire army is frenzied, they can bait which-ever unit they need to bait, like mainly Chosen, and wherever your Lord is. This is just me, but I don't like my 300pt+ unit with a 300pt+ Character chasing a 60-90pt unit of fast cavalry the entire game. But that's just me...

Lord Dan
05-10-2008, 04:41
I'm a Slaanesh fan myself. Failing that, I'm also a fan of Nurgle.

Since, however, my top two aren't on your list, I suppose I'll have to reccomend you play Dark Elves instead.

riven5
05-10-2008, 05:39
Go with magic. As has been stated, Khorne has been hit pretty hard by the lack of dispel dice or even MR in its stead. Tzeentch might not hit as hard, but is more reliable what with not being baited. I realize you want to go mono-god, but remember that the new WoC armybook, much like the Daemons book, seems to be encouraging god mixing. Heresy, they all cry! :D

But it's simply the way things are right now. If you go mono-god, make sure it's any god but Khorne, really. Otherwise expect any kind of magic and/or baiting to be a quick and decisive end to every battle you are in.

Lordsaradain
05-10-2008, 10:35
I wouldn't play mono-god. I'd say that my army was dedicated to Khorne/tzeentch and paint it that way, but then I'd include units with other marks to represent soldiers with different bleesings from the same god. For example, if you choose tzeenthc, you could give your troops Mark of nurgle and then say that they have been granted with foresight by tzeenthc allowing them to anticipate and dodge blows better than others.

Schattenmord
06-10-2008, 12:31
Play khorne, is fun, and you can killl the fast cavalry with your fast cavalry and a lot of cavalry and dogs everywere, if you dont buy wizards and dispell, you can have realy hard hitters with that points, and mr 2 and mr 1 of the daemonic mount in each of your heros, could be enought.

Play Tzeencht in 3000 o more point and is nasty! xD. but if possible to have a fun khorne army of pain and destrucción!!!

bork da basher
06-10-2008, 15:52
personnally i shy away from all khorne lists because of frenzy, a decent general can have you running all over the place and rip you apart. i dont like having little control over my own troops. you end up spending points on pack after pack of hounds to screen you. chaos warriors are hard enough without the frenzy IMO.

tzeentch is the way im going with my mortal list. i wont be painting them garish colours though. you dont have to spam magic with them either but it gives you something to do in the magic phase other than dispelling.

akgaroth
06-10-2008, 20:01
Khorne. Miniatures with this mark are absolutly reliable when it comes to chop heads and as long they suffer frenzy they're Itp, and with popular armies like VC and DoC where all miniatures causes fear or terror that comes quite handful. Be only sure to take some units to block your khornate units to charge against worthless-annoying units (like zombies) or to fell in a trap made by a wood elf player. Ah yes, and the Lord of Khorne on Juggernaut is awersome too!

kramplarv
07-10-2008, 09:25
and anyway, whatever mark you choose, don't go with additional handweapon. :)

A2 with greatweapon will kill more than A3 with Additional handweapon. :)
(2S6 attacks > 3S4, or for that matter, 3S6> 4S4)

Soul of Iron
07-10-2008, 17:13
Khorne does not really provide any magical defense. I don't think you get any extra dispell dice anymore per mark.

I could be wrong though.

Steeleheart
12-10-2008, 14:58
I'm buliding a slaanesh army thats all conceptual and crap like that but i did watch a store employee playing with a 2000 point tzeench army last week, the ward save is very very useful, plus the magic allows you to utterly dominate. Tzeench have the best speeLs in the new book as well, its a no brainer really. Khorne are pretty boring chaos army really, everyone jumps on the khorne bandwagon. Of course if you only play to win or are a tournament player go for knorne but if not - be fresh, its time for CHANGE.

W0lf
12-10-2008, 20:43
Khorne is by far the best mark.

Magic in a chaos army realy isnt worht the points you pay for it. Oh and your wizards have to accept and decline challanges. Which means you wont want them in fighting blocks and chaos armies are already rather small.

dreamforge
14-10-2008, 06:13
Khorne would make unit frenzy ... and unit would usually be baited
If u wana build a khorne army , u would need a lot of doggy to "block" ur hammer khorne units ... plus ... mark of khorne do not give MR anymore ...
sound bad to me ...

Latro
14-10-2008, 07:09
I wonder if it's possible to take an army with "light" magical defence and still have a decent chance at winning against the new generation of armybooks. Looking at the amount of powerdice they can throw around and the things their spells can do I have a feeling that armies without enough magical defence will be on their knees pretty fast.

I'm considering doing a Nurgle infantry horde myself and I will probably have to go magic heavy if I don't want my army to stand around doing nothing or zapped to bits or turn against themselves or simply disappear etc etc etc.

... but I like the Hellcannon as well, which might become a bit painful if the dice turn against me.

:cool:

OldMaster
14-10-2008, 07:09
Khorne, BUT.

Khorne is not a mark for ineperienced players (like those who whine about being baited all the time). Yes, you will need hounds, but in the end the sheer momentum behind your frenzied units will be effective.
Their lack of magic, though, means that playing with a pure mono-Khorne army will be a hard thing to do.

Tzeentch, is a good mark, too. You can make combat Lords/Heroes putting them on a Disc of Tzeentch and/or giving them the Armour of Morrslieb (3+ save aganst non-magical attacks). Tzeentchian magic is sweet, too.
I don't think I will make it with a mono-Khorne army, I will eventually succumb to the other 75% of the book =P

Latro
14-10-2008, 07:12
Khorne is not a mark for ineperienced players (like those who whine about being baited all the time). Yes, you will need hounds, but in the end the sheer momentum behind your frenzied units will be effective.

Ah! Finally someone who knows what he's talking about.

:evilgrin:

reign beaux
14-10-2008, 10:01
i would do both but because you said mono i'd go tzeentch solely because khorne no longer generates dispell dice and with tzeentch you can rule the magic phase against most but daemons of tzeentch

Lord Khabal
14-10-2008, 14:07
personally I'm a tzeentch fanboy... Be either a dragonlord or magelord on disc, I think that tzeentch is the way to go for protection. On the magelord on disc I give him gEye for a 3+wsv VS shooting. On the dragonlord version I give him colllar of khorne (how fluffy!!!) for a 5+Wsv and MR + crown for regen. both usually take sword of might and enchanted shield. yey!
By the way, do try to put festus on a block of CHwarriors of Tz with blasted standart. 3+AS/4+Wsv/5+regen goodness VS shooting??? yes please.