PDA

View Full Version : 'Advanced' Tactics

Citizen
05-10-2008, 00:11
I've been listening to Podhammer for a bit, and have heard a few phrases used that I'm not 100% on. I was wondering if anyone could link me to an up-to-date description of 'advanced' tactics.

Mainly it's things like march blocking (which I assume is having a unit within 8" of the unit that wants to march), speed-humps (which I think is putting a big, cheap unit in the way of an expensive enemy one so they have to take time getting through them) and things along those lines.

Alternatively, if anyone more experienced than myself could explain terms like this in thread I'd find it really useful.

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: Static Res is another I don't fully understand. I'm sure there is plenty more that I could do with learning too.

Manny Xero
05-10-2008, 00:44
Hey there Citizen. I don't have a link for you but I have been hanging around these forums long enough to pick up on some of the terms you are asking about.

Static Combat Resolution - Static CR - is just points a unit has of winning a fight without actually causing any wounds. I block of 20 chaos marauders, 5 wide with a full command, gets a point for it's banner, most likely gets a point from outnumbering and will get 3 points from extra ranks. That means that a unit without this static CR will need to cause 5 more wounds than the marauders just to tie when CR is totalled.

March Blocking is pretty much as you surmised. Placing a unit within 8' of enemy units (in a place where they can not charge you) to prevent the enemy from marching. This allows you more time to position your units or simple shoot the approaching units.

Speed Humps/Tar Pits/Anvils are units geared to take a charge and/or tie-up enemy units. Unbreakable and stubborn units excel in this fashion if they can also avoid being completely decimated. Units that have high static CR and reasonable longevity can also be effective speed humps. Usually speed humps are used in conjunction with another unit. The tar pit takes the charge and then the other unit counter charges to win in the following turn.

Makaber
05-10-2008, 00:45
Well, you got the first two right: Mach blocking is using units (typically fast, mobile ones like light cavalry and flyers) to prevent your opponent from marching, thus limiting his mobility. Speed bumps are units tailor made to stop a unit for typically just a turn or two, so you can get a chance to respond to the threat. Chaos spawn are a good example.

Static Combat Resolution, or Static Res for short, is all Combat Resolution besides what you gain from inflicting casualties. For instance, a regiment of 25 Empire Swordsmen with a Standard would have a Static Res of 4 (3 from the ranks, and one from the Banner). Static Res is generally speaking a very good thing to have.

I can't link you to anything, but I'd be happy to answer any other questions you have about common tactics and phrases.

Ed.: There's a slight distinction between a Speed Bump, a Tar Pit, and an Anvil.

The purpose of the Speed Bump is to slow something down for a short period of time, like a Chaos Spawn or a small unit of Dwarf Slayers, effectivly buying you time to respond to the threat. A Tar Pit is a long-term solution, for instance getting some Heavy Cavalry stuck fighing an insignificant unit of Zombies for the larger part of a game. And whereas the two former roles are often filled by cheap, disposable units, the Anvil is typically a unit tooled up to take a charge without breaking, sporting high Toughness, a good Armour Save, and/or a lot of Static CR.

Of course, sometimes these categories overlap, and nothing's set in stone, but they're not exactly the same thing either.

And even though some units are tailor made for the task (ie. Chaos Spawn), it's not always the case. You seldom sit down and look at the list in front of you, and think "Allright, this unit of Swordmen are my Speed Bump"; more often than not it's something you improvise mid-battle when the need arises, using the best available resources at hand.

Citizen
05-10-2008, 09:39
So, when using a unit to March Block, I assume the enemy will try to charge you at some point. Do you just choose to flee every time?

I'll be listening to more Podhammer today so there'll be plenty more questions later. :D

Storak
05-10-2008, 11:17
So, when using a unit to March Block, I assume the enemy will try to charge you at some point. Do you just choose to flee every time?

I'll be listening to more Podhammer today so there'll be plenty more questions later. :D

well, the best thing to do, is not getting in charge reach. flyers can pick a spot behind enemy units. skirmishers can sneak up in a wood and scouts be placed in a building.

most units are save from a charge, when placed next to the flank of the unit they are blocking.

OldMaster
05-10-2008, 11:55
Yeah, basically, if you got in a situation when your march blocker (great Eagle, Harpies) is charged, flee.
I once got this guy who tried to march block my Khornate army. Poor thing he wasn't too experienced and didn't know about the Overrun rule, so he placed them almost right before my units O_o

Steeleheart
12-10-2008, 23:01
Ive seen a high elf player do this march blocking against a warriors of chaos force. the trick is to circle the unit without gettting too close, get behind it, not too close but not too far, it will have to stop and rotate to attack you.

Most armies will put up with the annoyance to avoid causing discord in their line advance. Threaten them with fast strike cavalry on your front line so they will have to put up with your fliers.