PDA

View Full Version : two very basic questions

untimention
05-10-2008, 09:35
1. How does march work? i know a goblin movement is 4" and to charge is 8" but can't you in the movement phase march 8"?

2. If i was charging for example archers and they decided to stand and shoot at me. I was using grimgor and his black orcs. The rule states they always strike first however to get in combat they are going to have arrows fired at them. So my question is. If they kill 4 black orcs before they get in combat does that mean only grimgor himself could fight that round of combat?

Bloodknight
05-10-2008, 09:41
1. Marching means that models can move up to double their M stat in the movement phase if no enemy unit is within 8 inches. They cannot shoot if they marched, and they cannot perform all manoeuvers.

2. No, all BO strike. S&S does not kill the front rank unless that is the last rank left ;) Its main use is dropping rank bonus and provoking a panic test.

narrativium
05-10-2008, 12:07
Shooting casualties are removed in the normal fashion, from the rear ranks. Since the unit is not in combat when being shot at (and taking any necessary Panic tests for being shot at), the front-rank models are not the automatic casualties.

Chariot Impact hits do prevent front-rank (or, near-rank if charging a flank or rear) rank-and-file from attacking - but the hits are distributed as per the rules for shooting.

untimention
05-10-2008, 16:18
am i correct in thinking you can only march at full unit strength? so when you have lost a model you can only move?

Bloodknight
05-10-2008, 16:25
No, where did you get that?

untimention
05-10-2008, 16:32
i guess i imagined it.

So you can march any time you want as long as your over 8" away and going in a straight line?

Bloodknight
05-10-2008, 16:37
You don't even have to go in a straight line (they can pivot normally), you just can't change the number of ranks or frontage, or do the 90 or 180 manoeuvers while marching. Difficult terrain might also prohibit it, but I'd have to look that up - simply because it happens so rarely that I don't remember. Usually you just avoid DT entirely ^^.

Braad
05-10-2008, 18:16
Difficult terrain prohibits Marching.
It also halves movement
That's why we ignore the first one with our group. When you move 2" through a forest it can take more than 6 turns to get out, and that's no fun at all.

Lord Dan
05-10-2008, 18:33
You also cannot march if there is an enemy unit within 8" of the unit attempting to march.

w3rm
06-10-2008, 23:34
marchin is pretty simple u can only march if there is no enemy models within 8" within the start or your turn(unless your dwarfs who may march under all circumstances) and u may wheel, turn and change formation as normal:D

WLBjork
07-10-2008, 03:59
Ah, that old misconception again.

The only time Relentless comes into play is against enemies too close.

In any other case where a unit cannot march, Dwarfs are also affected.

Atrahasis
07-10-2008, 07:58
(unless your dwarfs who may march under all circumstances)Nope.

turn and change formation as normal:DNope.

Bob the Butcher
07-10-2008, 21:37
Also Dwarves march all the time even within 8"s of enemies.

narrativium
07-10-2008, 22:32
No. Dwarfs can march within 8" of enemies - other conditions which prevent marching still stop Dwarfs from marching.