PDA

View Full Version : Table sizes

Citizen
05-10-2008, 09:54
Does anybody know if there are any rules about specific table sizes for specific point games? I'm aware that atleast 4' x 4' is a good idea, but as me and a friend play Warband games, with him using a shooty Empire army, and me a Chaos one, neither of us thought this would make for a particularly entertaining game.

We tend to use wooden boards, or the parts used to make tables longer etc, that are lying about just so we both know exactly where table edges are, but I'd say in general we play on a 2 1/2' x 2' board, using 400pt warbands.

So, what are the general rules regarding board sizes?

Tarax
05-10-2008, 10:43
There is no ruling on table sizes. The only thing given is a rule of thumb where you play on a 4'x4' table for games upto 1500 pts, 6'x4' upto 2500 pts and larger size for larger games.

You could make a formula of it: (points : 500) x 12", with a minimum of 4'. This comes close, but is not that accurate.

NecronBob
05-10-2008, 11:15
Tarax has it right. My group prefers to have more space, so we play 4 X 6 up to 1500 and 4 x 8 above that. The only time we play 4 x 4 is when there are too many players for the space we have.

Gazak Blacktoof
05-10-2008, 11:29
4'x6' is standard for 2000 point games and I wouldn't want to use any less than that unless I were playing 1000 points or less. Our board at home is actually 5' x 8' though we normally only use 5' x 6' of that for our games with 18" between deployment zones for fantasy.

As Tarax said there aren't any hard and fast rules about table sizes. Table size does affect deployment and movement as well as the types of troops you want to bring enormously.

narrativium
05-10-2008, 12:11
The only rule I've seen in the ruleebook recently is the rule for Pitched Battles - the deployment zones must be at least 24" apart. Which on a 2.5' by 2' board means both players have a 3" (three inch) by 2' deployment zone.

Gazak Blacktoof
05-10-2008, 13:18
Not a good idea to play on 2.5' foot deep board then! Or else decrease the size of no-man's land.

T10
05-10-2008, 13:43
So, what are the general rules regarding board sizes?

As has been pointed out, there are no general rules. Most adhere to the standard scenario that calls for 24" of no-man's-land between deployment zones. This particular limit is practical in larger games: while it is true that crossign no-mans land is a three-turn-trudge for most M 4 infantry, larger armies usually include elements that can counter ranged units or put pressure on the enemy to move forward.

In a warbands game you might find it convenient to reduce that initial distance. As you pointed out, it would probably not be very fun.

Personally, I'd recommend using a board that is at least as wide as it is deep. A wide table allows for more maneuvering making it a challenge to protect your flanks, while a narrow table favours head-to-head confrontations.

-T10

Gazak Blacktoof
05-10-2008, 15:54
Its relatively easy to play on a table measuring 4' x 4'. Two, 2' x 4' boards can be purchased for around 10 and stored under a bed/ sofa or behind a book case and laid out on the floor or placed across a table.