PDA

View Full Version : Marine backpacks

Napoleon Blownapart
05-10-2008, 18:24
Hey, what's the difference between the loyalist and traitor backpacks? I originally thought the traitor backpacks were just older versions, but pictures of the horus heresy show loyalists (and even pre-traitor) legions with the loyalist backpacks.

Lord_Squinty
05-10-2008, 18:29
I always assumed it was just decorative...

Argastes
05-10-2008, 18:55
Yeah, I don't think there's any rational reason for it in the fluff, it's just a visual design element. Just like the raised trim that CSMs have around their armor plates, and so forth. The sculptors/artists decided that it would look good for Chaos Marines to have a distinct, ornate-looking backpack design that was different from what loyalists had and fit in better with their overall visual theme, so they gave them those backpacks. If you want some explanation for it in the fluff, you're looking for something that doesn't exist.

starlight
05-10-2008, 19:06
They weren't *Loyalist backpacks*, they were simply Marine backpacks. The corrupting influence of The Warp has affected all of their equipment.

Real world explanation - there was a limited range of models in the early days of GW, so it was mostly down to the paint jobs. As the model range expanded, they introduced the designs we now associate with Chaos.

Griefbringer
05-10-2008, 19:18
Real world explanation - there was a limited range of models in the early days of GW, so it was mostly down to the paint jobs. As the model range expanded, they introduced the designs we now associate with Chaos.

However, separate chaos backpacks have been around alsready since 1988 or so:

http://www.solegends.com/citcat88/4103spacemarines-01.jpg
http://www.solegends.com/citcat88/0216rocrenegades.jpg

And fluff-wise, the peculiarities in appearance between chaos marines and loyalists can be largely explained by:

1.) Mutating influence of chaos affecting their equipment
2.) Current fashion trends in the Eye of Terror

MrBigMr
05-10-2008, 19:43
I agree with the theory on GW wanting them to look different and explaining it with corruption.

StormWulfen
05-10-2008, 20:17
also in the haze of war it would make the vents on chaos backpacks look like deamon wings, thus making them scarier

:chrome:

Sebavin
13-10-2008, 20:45
Marine backpacks house a power plant that powers there power armour. marine power armour gets its name because it is powered armour the on the moment of a impact of some sort hardens more in said place that is what give marines a high AS.

Sebavin
13-10-2008, 20:46
Marine backpacks house a power plant that powers there power armour. marine power armour gets its name because it is powered armour the on the moment of a impact of some sort hardens more in said place that is what gives marines a high AS.

Sir_Turalyon
13-10-2008, 20:59
No need to say it twice...

I agree it is done just to distinguish CSM from SM, same function as horns and spikes on the armour. Idoubt there is in-world explanation why all CSM would modify their backpacks to the same design, rather theen individualize them or leave them alone. Perhaps this design is known to but not used by Imperium, for rerasons like it's easier to maintain but has worse power output, or has better power output but is dangerous to user... but personaly I think they are just for gamer's convinience, like colour-coded lightsabers.

DapperAnarchist
13-10-2008, 21:02
I think one of the fluff explanations was less efficient cooling systems, meaning vents must be put further away... not that that makes much sense.

Maidel
13-10-2008, 21:12
I think if GW were doing it all again they would make the chaos back packs look like mark II or III armour which is distinctly different to mark IV+

but im all with the 'rule of cool' on this one.

jimbobodoll
13-10-2008, 21:18
Marine backpacks house a power plant that powers there power armour. marine power armour gets its name because it is powered armour the on the moment of a impact of some sort hardens more in said place that is what gives marines a high AS.

Dude.... This is eldar "mesh armour" not power armour. Power armour is a exo skeleton supporting huge chunks of solid state ceramite/plas-steel. Do your homework.

Sebavin
14-10-2008, 02:16
I was just trying to state the use of the baskpack