PDA

View Full Version : Judge Dredd, whats it like?

ratatosk
13-11-2005, 20:40
Basicaly the title says it all, what do people think of this game?

Griefbringer
13-11-2005, 22:08
Are you referring to the old GW Judge Dredd RPG, Mongoose Publishing new Gangs of Mega-city One game or something else?

GamesmasterZ
13-11-2005, 22:11
I think he's talking about Gangs of Mega City One...

Which...is quite dreadful...

d4m0s4n
13-11-2005, 23:30

Dreadful? I've only read the rules but it seemed like an okay skirmish game to me.

GamesmasterZ
13-11-2005, 23:40
I played two games with it...

Then gave my models and book away.

d4m0s4n
14-11-2005, 10:32
I played two games with it...

Then gave my models and book away.

I can see giving the models away. I have a blister of Judges but the rest of the line is a bit silly (but then so is J.D. in general).

What didn't you like about the game?

GamesmasterZ
14-11-2005, 13:00
If you want to play a game where 'gangs' get exp. and fight against Arbites(I mean judges...), play Necromunda(sp?).

d4m0s4n
14-11-2005, 19:14
If you want to play a game where 'gangs' get exp. and fight against Arbites(I mean judges...), play Necromunda(sp?).

That didn't answer my question. A "play XYZ instead." response doesn't do anyone any good.

Mr Dreadful
14-11-2005, 19:53

See, what he did there was...

Personally I'm steering clear of Mongoose after buying the abortion that was the Dredd D20 game, but if I hear any positive stuff about this I may think about it seeing as how I'm a bit of a Dredd fan.

Balseraph
16-11-2005, 18:45
See, what he did there was...

Personally I'm steering clear of Mongoose after buying the abortion that was the Dredd D20 game, but if I hear any positive stuff about this I may think about it seeing as how I'm a bit of a Dredd fan.

ParanoiXP is quite good though. It's more a D20 issue than anything else. The best I've seen D20 do is OK if a bit bland. Whereas the worse I can't mention as it's too evil to contemplate.

Brother Othorio
16-11-2005, 20:21
so is nobody prepared to actually say what they didnt like about the rules? as this is the first i have heard about them not being any good, all the (admitedly few) mentions i have heard about the rules prior to this is that they arent too bad (i even recall a one or two people prefering it to Necromunda)

d4m0s4n
17-11-2005, 11:53
so is nobody prepared to actually say what they didnt like about the rules? as this is the first i have heard about them not being any good, all the (admitedly few) mentions i have heard about the rules prior to this is that they arent too bad (i even recall a one or two people prefering it to Necromunda)

I have to look over the rulebook again but I'd be glad to writeup a small bit of text on how the game works.

ratatosk
17-11-2005, 22:59
I'd like to see that, also what are the mini's like? i have only seen pictures of them, and i'm not that convinced of the quality of them.

As for JD RPing i still have the GW box set, mint condition :)

d4m0s4n
18-11-2005, 15:09
The plastic ganger minis are pretty bad. Having said that they do kind of match up with the imagery shown in 2000AD (that's the name of the comic correct?).

d4m0s4n
18-11-2005, 15:09
As for JD RPing i still have the GW box set, mint condition :)

I have the hardback and one hardback expansion for those rules.

Balseraph
19-11-2005, 13:53
I have the hardback and one hardback expansion for those rules.

Got the Soft back players guide and GMs guide from EBay (The GW version that is.) Class game, good simple yet effective system.

d4m0s4n
21-11-2005, 11:41
Read over the rules for Gangs of Mega City 1 this weekend and here's the game from 30,000 feet. The box contains the rules book, a paper playmat, a few buildings, dice, and 12 ganger minis.

The minis are comical. But they match up with the graphics in 2000AD and other JD pubs. Big knee/elbow pads, etc. The figs are more realitstically proportioned than most.

The intent is that each person who plays MC1 will buy their own boxed set and have at it. Mongoose is selling their MC1 boxes for around $30US right now (last time I checked-- it may of been a sale).

I would compare it to Necromunda in that the "point of the game" is the same. You get so many credits to create a gang and then you fight battles. If you are to fight a powerful gang you can call in the Judges to lay the pain.

If your gang does well you get more Turfs. Turfs get the gangs rep and cash.

The rules for MC1 are more in-depth than those in Necromunda. MC1 is not a IGO-UGO game. The players alternate activating a figure until all figures have been activated or "passed."

When a figure is activated you perform two actions with that figure: move-shoot, shoot-shoot, move-move, etc.

If a figure is not activated during a turn it goes into overwatch the following turn.

Weapon ranges in MC1 are very short. Most pistol style weapons have a range of 10" while rifle style weapons have a longer range.

Combat in MC1 is close and personal. It has to be as the ranges are so short. :)

In the basic game a model takes a wound it goes down.

In the advanced game you roll for hit location and can get all sorts of results (arm blown off....leg blown off....body hit, etc...).

There is a trait system. After each game roll a 5+ for a surviving fig and that fig gets a trait. In some cases this is 6+. The player selects a trait.

The combat mechanics are straight forward and would appear to play quick enough. Close combat is deadly. Ranged combat can be deadly depending on how well you roll when rolling to hit/wound.

So that's the 30,000 view. If you're a fan of JD then I think you may like the game. The rules have more chrome than Necromunda (but not a whole lot more) which is a good thing if you're into that.