PDA

View Full Version : VC with lots of necromancers, tournament worthy?

testosteronicon
06-10-2008, 19:56
Hi everybody!

I'm hoping for some response to this list; weaknesses, unneccecary troops, Vampire config and whether it'll be a boring list to play against or not....

The fluff: a nechrarc vampire (with necromancer pupils) who joins the battle with his grave guard elite bodyguard together with Strigoi Varghulf/Ghoul allies.

CHARACTERS = 735 pts

Vampire Lord (magic lvl 4) (in GG unit)
Dark Acolyte
Master of the Black Arts
Summon Ghouls
the Flayed Hauberk
Skull Staff
Biting Blade

Necromancer (magic lvl 1, Vanhel's Dance Macabre)
Black Periapt
Staff of Sorcery
Mounted on Corpse cart

Staff of Damnation
Mounted on Corpse cart

Book of Arkhan

CORE UNITS = 504 pts

10 Crypt Ghouls + Ghast = 88 pts

5 Dire Wolves = 40 pts

1 Corpse Cart w Unholy Lodestone

1 Corpse Cart w Balefire

SPECIAL UNITS = 410

15 Grave Guard, w Great Weapons, Command Group,
+ Banner of the Dead Legion = 250 pts

8 Fell Bats = 160 pts

RARE UNITS

1 Varghulf = 175 pts

1 Varghulf = 175 pts

My big concern is that the necromancers don't generate enough PD to fuel my spellcaster Lord. However, they're so cheap that it's possible to buy items with spells and still keep the points spent on characters low(735!).

I like the ability to potentially cast 4 Vanhel's in a turn. That will drain Scrolls and DD pretty fast. Also, The Lord will successfully cast Ghoul Summoning IoN on 3+ with a 5 as a minimum result every time. Not very tempting to dispel.

Mathhammer: Lord can max use 9 PD every turn => 6 successful IoN (ghouls) => Average summoned ghouls with Unholy Lodestone nearby is 4,5 ghouls/cast => on average 27 Ghouls per turn. :D

The reserve sets of Ghouls needed will be staggering though....:cries:

Movement. Ugh => General takes care of the GG and 2 x Ghoul units. The last Ghoul unit follows a Varghulf.

Suggestions?? Weaknesses?

theunwantedbeing
06-10-2008, 20:03
Not enough numbers.

Shamfrit
06-10-2008, 20:10
I am seconding Unwanted. You've such a small army it'll be more than easy to obliterate one or two units from the board each turn by any army who is worth his long ranged salt, and I don't' think the Necromancer approach is going to lend to well to small numbers in terms of re-raising ability.

If you wanted to take this route, then some blocks of Zombies for Tar Pits and/or Corpse Cart carries is essential.

Gokamok
07-10-2008, 09:58
First of all, you can't have Black Periapt and Staff of Sorcery on the same Necro, since they're both arcane.

I'll agree that you need bigger units. I think that dropping the GG and spending the points on more Ghouls would make the army a lot stronger.

I think you should buy an extra spell (IoN) for Necro 2 and 3, since they don't really have anything to spend their PD on for the first few turns. Being able to spend those extra 2 PD on raising troops back can also be a nice option if things get rough:)

What's the plan with the big unit of bats? I'd probably cut them down to 4-5 and spend the points on another unit of 5 wolves and/or more Ghouls.

Gokamok
07-10-2008, 10:00
(...) If you wanted to take this route, then some blocks of Zombies for Tar Pits and/or Corpse Cart carries is essential.

Just felt like pointing out that characters can't join Zombies, so they won't be all too good bunkers for Corpse Carts;)

Time of Madness
07-10-2008, 18:01
Why 1 unit of 8 fell bats? Take 2 units of 4.

CarlostheCraven
07-10-2008, 18:58
Hi

Is it tournament worthy? No

Is it a fun looking list? Sure.

A necro heavy army needs to focus on raising new units and using van hels to being these units into combat under advantagous circumstances. I would want to have two Raise dead and invocations spread out over the necros. You simply do not have the combat punch - no, 2 varghouls are not sufficient - or static combat res to win many combats or even form effective tarpits.

You are assuming too much from your vampire in terms of raising new ghouls. He also happens to be your only possible source of ranged punch - gaze, curse and wind - which I find to be an important component against many foes.

Your grave guard unit simply isn't big enough to be effective or durable. You need full rank bonus, or at least the ability to raise it back to full ranks. There are also a number of armies that are capable of wiping that unit out in a single turn of shooting.

I would drop a corpse cart (with balefire), cut 3-4 bats, add 5 more grave guard, perhaps upgrade to the banner of the barrows, and use whatever points are left for ghouls, building a unit up to roughly 20, then moving onto the next.

Regarding ghoul units - I think that you should deploy them 7 wide and two ranks deep, as this increases their number of attacks significantly. This unit needs wounds more than ranks. If you are looking for static combat res, go skellies or zombies, not ghouls.

Cheers,
Carlos the Craven