PDA

View Full Version : Bsb on cauldron?

Badbones777
06-10-2008, 20:29
Hi guys.

Gonna be starting Dark Elves as my third army soon, but I was just looking through my Army book and I might be missing something but I've read the Death Hag entry several times and I can't see anything (ignoring common sense/beardiness atc) that in a purely rules legal sense prevents you from taking a Death Hag as BSB and giving her the cauldron of blood upgrade as well. Is this actually the case?

Cheers.

Von Wibble
06-10-2008, 21:59
Completely legal afaik. But it makes the cauldron an even more juicy target for the enemy...

Conotor
06-10-2008, 22:45
Completely legal afaik. But it makes the cauldron an even more juicy target for the enemy...

A death hag and 2 elves, all with ASF, is not a juicy target.

Makaber
06-10-2008, 23:26
Plus, it gives you a sort of "almost-unit" protection for the BSB; she's not as exposed as she'd be in a Witch Elves unit, but she's not a lone character, either. I think a Cauldron is as good a place to put her as any.

Badbones777
07-10-2008, 13:48
Cool, thanks guys! Just wanted to be sure I wasn't missing something. Might give it a go when the army is put together-but thats a little way off as I need to finish off a few skaven before I can in all good conscience even think of buying more minis!

Von Wibble
07-10-2008, 17:09
A death hag and 2 elves, all with ASF, is not a juicy target.

Only if you take the banner of hag graef. Otherwise its 3 T3 models with no armour for 300 vps. That's pretty much my definition of a juicy taget.

And if you do take Hag Graef, your black guard don't have it - and it benefits them far far more. With cauldron as well and champ with crimson death a unit of 14 is a match for almost anything (4 S6, 18 S4 all reroll to hit), and doesn't cost the earth either!

Nurgling Chieftain
07-10-2008, 18:47
Otherwise its 3 T3 models with no armour for 300 vps. That's pretty much my definition of a juicy taget.While they don't have armor, against shooting attacks and magic missiles, 2/3 bounce harmlessly off the cauldron, and they've got a 4+ ward save after that. It ends up being no better a target than a normal unit of Wych Elves, point for point - of course, Wych Elves are already a pretty good shooting target!

Cognitave
08-10-2008, 07:04
Hi,

To fully answer the question (you were all right by the way), Yes you may have your Battle Standard on a Cauldron. The Cauldron upgrade is considered adding the Death Hag as a crew member to the warmachine and counts her as merely being in the squad.

For the Blood God,
Cognitave.

MonkeyLord
08-10-2008, 18:47
Yup. And it can be pretty handy to have the BSB on your Cauldron if you surround yourself with Khainite units like Witch Elves, Executioners, Assassins, or any other infantry units led by a Death Hag on foot: If a unit is within range of the Stubborn benefit for khainites, they are, ipso facto, within range of the Battle Standard; therefore always re-rolling those stubborn break tests. That's almost as good as being unbreakable. :)