PDA

View Full Version : 2000 First Empire Army

Frep
06-10-2008, 23:13
Well after finding a really great deal Ebay I took the plunge and have started an empire army.

So here's my first try at a list, comments, critique and tactic advise all welcome. Everyone feel free to comment please.

General of the Empire- Barded Warhorse, Shield, Dawn armour, Hammer of judgement

164 Points

Wizard-Level 2, Dispel Scroll

125 Points

Wizard-Level 2, Dispel Scroll

125 Points

Warrior Priest- Great weapon, armour of Meterioc Iron

119 points

Core

25- Halberdiers- Full Command
Detachment-10 Free Company
Detachment- 10 Handgunners

275 points

25- Halberdiers- Full Command
Detachment-10 Free Company
Detachment- 10 Handgunners

275 points

20- Swordsmet Full Command
Detachment- 5 Halberdiers

170 points

10-crossbowmen

80 points

10-crossbowmen

80 points

Special

9-Inner Circle Knights full command
274 points

5- Pistoliers with outrider with repeater handgunner
197 Points

Rare- 20-Flagellents
200 points

Total 1994

As you can see I like my infantry though, I am kinda worried about them all fleeing and am considering adding a BSB.

Citizen
07-10-2008, 00:03
I think removing one of those level 2 Wizards and giving the second dispel scroll to the other, and putting in a BSB will be very useful, as they are in any army. Sorry I can't be more help, but I'm not very knowledgeable when it comes to Empire.

Makarion
07-10-2008, 00:17
* Halbardiers, although flavourful, are not as effective as swordsmen. With 25 in a unit you might be ok, but expect them to die in huge droves - giving up quite a bit of CR. Consider replacing at least one of those blocks with another swordsmen block, and making the remaining block 30 strong.
* 20 swordsmen is nice, for as long as no one shoots at them. Even a single casualty will cost a rank, so field them 25 strong.
* Free company are, again, flavourful, but not good. They can attack a flank, for sure, but the strikes back will cost too much CR - likely more than the loss of ranks they inflict on your enemy. Hlaberds or swords are the preferred melee detachment (for me at least), probably in a "brick" (block of 3*3).
* Handgunners are fine detachments, as they need to be fairly close to the front of your deployment zone anyway. A unit of 10 means often two ranks though, which means that 5 of them don't do anything unless you're aiming at something large.
* The crossbows are excellent! 30" means that you have a good chance of taking out enemy war machines or fast cavalry in turn 1.
* Replace the champion with his fancy gun on the pistoliers with a musician. The ability to flee, rally and shoot as fast cavalry is golden, and crucial to their role as baiter / marchblocker.
* Consider dropping the IC knights to 5-6. The priest should be leading them (his hatred is important) and the General should be among the melee troops who need the leadership boost badly.
* You really need at least 1 cannon, and probably a second war machine of some kind. Without that, dragons, treemen, and gretaer daemons will cause no end of trouble. They're bad enough when you're prepared for them.
* Nothing wrong with the flagellants. Note however that they count as a core unit, since you've got a warrior priest.

I'll happily get into gear for your characters once there's a clearer picture of your troops :).

Frep
07-10-2008, 01:28
I know my halberds are not the greatest option but they are all I have. I'd like the swordsmen to be 25 but I'm limited by the models I have. If I cut my free company detachments, I will swap in a great cannon.

I'll cut out the pistoliers champion and instead use a musician and use those points to cut out my inner circle knights and field two 5 man units with standards and and musicians.

Finally I'll replace on wizard with a BSB with war banner, giving the second scroll to my remaining wizard.

I'm including the list of models I have, as I'm not prepared to buy any more models yet except the BSB. Hopefully this will give everyone an idea of my model selection.

-Empire General on horse and foot

-Empire General on Griffon

- 2 Empire Wizards

- Warrior Priest

-30 Halberdiers w/Command

-30 Halberdiers w/Command

-20 Swordsmen w/Command

-20 Free Company

-10 Archers

-10 Handgunners w/Hochland Marksman

-10 Crossbowmen

-10 Crossbowmen

-10 Knights w/Command

- 9 Knights w/Command

- 5 Pistoliers

-20 Flagellants

-2 Great Cannons

-Helblaster Volley Gun

-Steam Tank

Kalec
07-10-2008, 02:06
You could probably get away with using halberdiers and free company to fill in the back rows of swordsmen units. Just mention it to your opponent beforehand and there should be no problem.

Really, without swordsmen, your options are very limited.

Frep
07-10-2008, 02:45
Well I guess using free company in the back ranks would work just fine. And my opponents should be good with it, my only opponents are my brothers so I don't imagine they'll argue too much.

sniperjolly
07-10-2008, 04:10
If there is a BSB involved, give 'im the griffon standard, and if there are 2 lvl2 wizards involved, get the rod of power.

Makarion
07-10-2008, 08:42
The Griffon Standard is a mixed blessing - you cannot pursue, and yor BSB will not be able to take protective gear (and thus likely die in the first fight if you're up against quality melee troops. Still, it may be worthwhile if you coordinate charges very carefully with a unit of cavalry, who should be able to overrun the (hopefully) fleeing enemy.

You could consider ditching one of the halberd units alltogether and stick with:

* a unit of 30 halberds
* a unit of 25 swordsmen (some free company to fill up the back rank
* 20 flagellants
* a unit of 5 knights with a musician (but no standard)
* 2 units of 10 crossbowmen

That's 6 core units - plenty by all accounts. Sure, you'll be low on melee blocks, but you can field an additional 2 units of Inner Circle knights ands a unit of pistoliers, so it's not bad at all.
I'd probably stick to a single unit of IC knights and bring 2 cannon, though.

Kalec
07-10-2008, 22:26
A bsb with the griffon standard can still get a 1+ AS, how much better does he really need?

Makarion
08-10-2008, 01:20
Just a 2+ (Full plate and barded warhorse - no shields or weapon options for Empire BSBs). What he needs is a ward save. I'll agree, though, that it's very yummy against non-hardhitting low-leadership armies, where you can hopefully get some panic chains going.