PDA

View Full Version : Dreadnoughts?

malika
07-10-2008, 16:36
We all know that Dreadnoughts are a major part of the Space Marine background/armylist. We know that they are machines in which the remains of some mortally wounded and heroic Space Marines are inserted in.

But what other info is there on these machines? I'm basically looking for more info on Dreadnoughts!

ironcurtin117
07-10-2008, 17:01
http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Space_Marine_Dreadnought

From what I gather from the line that says "maimed and crippled beyond recovery - instead of being mercifully killed, the greatest heroes are instead given what is considered an honor of continuing to serve the Emperor past their normal life" I think most if not all marines DO NOT want to become Dreads. An interesting twist could be for dreads to be used as a punishment for fallen but disgraced heroes

PondaNagura
07-10-2008, 17:08
index astartes v.1 has some great info on them.

the lex article pretty much reiterates it
though the 'interred forever is a bad thing' comes under speculation of the actual gamers...
the punishment thing might be more of a chaos or even fanatics views on the matter, ala penintent engines, or chaos dreads.

i can't really see a marine whining about being placed within a dread, as they're sole purpose in life is to serve the Emperor and protect humanity. for men who know only war, not living to serve the Emperor just isn't living!

Warboss Zogslag
08-10-2008, 09:44

From what I gather from the line that says "maimed and crippled beyond recovery - instead of being mercifully killed, the greatest heroes are instead given what is considered an honor of continuing to serve the Emperor past their normal life" I think most if not all marines DO NOT want to become Dreads. An interesting twist could be for dreads to be used as a punishment for fallen but disgraced heroes

actually in "let the galaxy burn" there is a short story involving chaos marines doing that to a "double agent"

Goruax
10-10-2008, 09:49
A Marine is usually interred in a Dreadnought after suffering life endangering (ie, he's toast in 20 minutes) injuries whilst performing a heroic deed, or is a Chapter legend.
More often than that, the reason is that the experience, knowledge, wisdom, etc the Marine has is too vital to lose, perhaps an old Veteran Apothecary, or an aid to the First Company Captain, etc.

MajorWesJanson
10-10-2008, 11:11
Ironically, no matter how new the marine was who was interred, once they become a dreadnought, even Captains and high ranks tend to listen to what the dreadnought wants.

Tonberry
10-10-2008, 12:07
actually in "let the galaxy burn" there is a short story involving chaos marines doing that to a "double agent"
Is that the one with the Astral Claws Librarian, White Scars and Huron Blackheart? I think I read it originally in 'Into the Maelstrom''.

Brother Siccarius
10-10-2008, 18:25
The 40k comic Damnation Crusade has a BT dreadnought in it.

It actually follows the career of a space marine from induction to being interred in a dreadnought, though you don't find out till the end.

olmsted
10-10-2008, 20:11
i could only really see being interned into a dreadnaught as a form of neverending hell. to be kept alive blinkering on the edge in a suit to never feel the wind or the blood of your opponents on your face.

a life extended through any unnatural means is a hell in its own right. (i think thats from diablo 2)

Burnthem
10-10-2008, 20:14
i could only really see being interned into a dreadnaught as a form of neverending hell. to be kept alive blinkering on the edge in a suit to never feel the wind or the blood of your opponents on your face.

a life extended through any unnatural means is a hell in its own right. (i think thats from diablo 2)

Dreads' are quite capable of powering down/sleeping, in fact it's common practice for them to sleep between battles. And to be honest i don't think a Marine would give two ticks about not feeling the wind again, he'd just be extremely honoured and grateful to have been given a place in a Dreadnought.

Captain_Rory
10-10-2008, 20:14
I think they are allowed to sleep all the time, excpet when they are called to war or a council of war. I dont rememeber where I got that from though....

Leman Russ
10-10-2008, 20:20
Most likey the SW codex.

When you've been arround 9,000-10,000 years, Bjorn tends to be a little crabby without his 100 year naps

Templar_Victorious
11-10-2008, 03:19
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

http://tsoalr.com/?p=234

Wolfblade670
11-10-2008, 03:26
God, I love TSOALR.

Warforger
11-10-2008, 03:32
Ummm SM dreads are honoured above all else.... If a dread dies its battle brothers go to get the sarcouphagous back along with the corpse....

kikkoman
11-10-2008, 03:54
Isn't becoming a space marine, compared to being a human, already a never-ending hell of constant battle?

Space marines were made for fightin', with little to no leisure time. They don't fall in love, they don't raise kids, they don't have parents*, they're god-warriors tasked with protecting humanity from all the evils of the galaxy. Their duty is to fight until they die, and sometimes get put in a box and fight s'more until you're blown up.
Being turned into a dread doesn't seem like any change of pace.

*though I think Salamanders or some other chapter has more 'nice guy' aspects. Even so, you're going to outlive any normal human, or die in battle.

DapperAnarchist
11-10-2008, 04:00
The "Dread as a punishment" thing is most the Traitor Legions... the Loyalists are all "dude we get to spend longer fighting for the Emperor, without all that pesky having a body stuff!"

olmsted
11-10-2008, 04:22
i still dont know. i think they are pitied by some of their brothers

Warforger
11-10-2008, 04:39
Well the 4th ed SM codex says there are even battles where SM go just to retrieve a Dreadnought sarcophogaus, and TMK it hasen't been overriden.

tigergosta
11-10-2008, 17:23
it would be an honour for every space marine to be entombed in a dreadnought because then they now that they had for filled they're duty to the emperor and are given a chance too do it more

Maidel
11-10-2008, 17:35
Its been specifically stated that chaos marines HATE being interred in a dread.

Space marines on the other hand, seem to accept it (as in its not the best result, but its better than being dead.)

There are many stories of bjorn being awakened to lead the troops or to be asked to recite the histories to the new wolves.

I think this is due to the nature of both types of space marine.

Normal loyal marines are fairly emotionless (some chapters more or less than others) and they are focused primarily on their goal of fighting for the emperor.

Traitor marines are all about sensations, they kill for pleasure (or spread disease for pleasure or skin people alive for pleasure or love knowedge of others doing these deeds) basically - they have shifted their focus away from being driven towards a 'higher' purpose and are focused on themselves.

Thus, getting more 'dakka-dakka' time is great if you are a loyal marine, but sucks if you are chaos marine who could be in the warp with all the hot demonettes.... ahem.

Victomorga
12-10-2008, 02:27
I've always gotten the impression that the more time a SM spends in a dreadnaught the more distant and withdrawn they become. you can only spend so much time being the living brain of a walking robotic tank before you start to see it effect you behavior.

Born Again
12-10-2008, 04:29

Space Marines spend alot of time in an atmospherically sealed ceramite case as it is, so they're not too familiar with the wind anyway :p

olmsted
12-10-2008, 04:33
this is also seen in warlord titans as well but thats beyond the point. i guess my view point comes from the space wolves (a chapter with a load of character) who would see the loss of their senses as a great tragedy that and the loss of ale

Born Again
12-10-2008, 04:38
Maybe they're fed ale intravenously :p

You raise a good point though, as with a lot of things it probably varies alot by chapter. As far as SW they'd probably be glad they can still fight and serve, just wish they could still drink as well. A chapter like ultramarines probably wouldn't give it a second thought as long as they were fighting.

kikkoman
12-10-2008, 04:47
How do the Iron Hands feel about dreadnoughts?

olmsted
12-10-2008, 05:17
probably cutting thier own body parts off to try and get a place in line.

PondaNagura
12-10-2008, 05:28
heh. with all the bionics they use, they could probably avoid the whole mortally wounded part (feel no pain equivalent)...and even then they could probably build a mechanical body on-par with a dreadnought should they reach up the echelons...might be what they do since some of their HQs are dreads.

uchu no okami
14-10-2008, 09:21
How do the Iron Hands feel about dreadnoughts?

I think dreads run the chapter.
That's not unique to the Iron Hands but they're the only ones who do it on an ongoing basis (that I know of).

How that reconciles with the fluff that they tend to sleep away the centuries in between times of urgency when they're needed ... I don't know.

Given that dreads are very common in space marine armies perhaps only really old, soul-tired dreads want to go off and nap.
The Space Wolves were mastered by a dread in the early days after the Heresy, and that guy is still around, snoring.

Leman Russ
14-10-2008, 10:30
The Space Wolves were mastered by a dread in the early days after the Heresy, and that guy is still around, snoring.
No thats wrong...

In the Early days after the Heresy Leman Russ was still around.

After he vanished, the youngest member of his Wolf Guard, Bjorn the Fell Handed, was left behind and declared Great Wolf.

We was interred in a dreadnought (at some point) and is now the oldest loyal Dread, being about 10,000 years old.

He did at one time lead the Space Wolves in the defence of The Fang after they were attacked by Thousand Sons while most the chapter were off on a Great Hunt.

Col. Dash
16-10-2008, 15:33
As far as punishment goes, that isnt always trueLook at the Violators chaos marine chapter, they are led by a dreadnought.
In original fluff dreads are rare pieces of equipment and take alot of urging to get to wake up. I remember reading at some point that it was lucky for a chapter to have more than a couple awake at any but the most dire of circumstances.

On a personal fluff note, I have a dread in my angels army who was a marine who never wanted to be a marine but out of a sense of duty got himself killed doing something heroic, and then woke up in a dread. Since then he jumps into the thick of the fray to get killed quickly and while taking critical damage, he has become so honored for his "bravery" the tech marines rebuild him over and over. He has gotten to the point where he cajoles scouts to paint bull's eyes on his critical points. He had a banner one time which said "Shoot Me First!" and charged a traitor guard army, they thought it was a trick and didnt fire a shot and instead ran for it.

Born Again
17-10-2008, 09:34
I have a dread in my angels army who was a marine who never wanted to be a marine

BLASPHEMY!!

All marines are honoured and humbled by their selection! Report to the disciplinarian for 50 lashes. :p

jhon
18-10-2008, 04:54
On a personal fluff note, I have a dread in my angels army who was a marine who never wanted to be a marine but out of a sense of duty got himself killed doing something heroic, and then woke up in a dread. Since then he jumps into the thick of the fray to get killed quickly and while taking critical damage, he has become so honored for his "bravery" the tech marines rebuild him over and over. He has gotten to the point where he cajoles scouts to paint bull's eyes on his critical points. He had a banner one time which said "Shoot Me First!" and charged a traitor guard army, they thought it was a trick and didnt fire a shot and instead ran for it.

"marine or servitor your choice . think carefully before you answer ."

Archangel_Ruined
18-10-2008, 19:16
Some marine chapters view it is an immense honour, such as the UM's. Other's don't, the White Scars have very few dreads as they would rather die than continue life in a metal tomb. I'd like to see some information on the earlier marks of Dread, I imagine they've become somewhat more refined (rather an exception when viewed against the imperium as a whole).

Harwammer
18-10-2008, 20:20

Best. Comedy. Fluff. EVAR!