PDA

View Full Version : Dark Elf Combat Infantry 2k

Stihv
07-10-2008, 23:51
I didn't like the High Elves. I did quite well with them, or at least better then I do with other armies, but there were a few things about them I didn't like. First, I don't like magic, and the only way to really get magic defense is to take wizards. With two mages and the Annulian Crystal, the 5 DD and the +1 to dispel did not seem like enough. It probably didn't help that I played against TK and Tzeentch Daemons, but I want to eventually play competitively, and from what I heard, Tzeentch Daemons seem to be rather popular in those tournament things. The Dark Elves have a solution to my problem, and its 25 points! Sure the Ring of Hotek isn't a guarantee that your opponent won't cast into your bubble, but it will make them hesitate, and if they do miscast, its totally awesome. The other thing I didn't like was that most of their Magic Items were pretty lame, but that's just my opinion of course. So I decided to do Dark Elves, and my Army will be pretty much the same, with some changes, mainly the Hydras :).

Dreadlord 252pts
Crimson Death, Pendant of Khaeleth, Heavy Armor, Sea Dragon Cloak

Master 113pts
BSB, Heavy Armor, Sea Dragon Cloak

Death Hag 250pts
Cauldron of Blood, Rune of Khaine, Manbane

Sorceress 150pts
2 Dispel Scrolls

19 Dark Elf Warriors 148pts
Full Command, Shields

19 Dark Elf Warriors 148pts
Full Command, Shields

15 Black Arc Corsairs 175pts
Full Command

5 Harpies 55pts

5 Harpies 55pts

16 Black Guards 303pts
Full Command Standard of Hag Graef, Ring of Hotek

War Hydra 175pts

War Hydra 175pts

Total 1999pts

So yeah. I'm having a few problems with this list right now. First, I don't really know what to take for my infantry blocks. Second, I don't really have anything to take out big stuff, unless Hydras or the Death Hag count. Third, I don't know what to do about my BSB. Fourth, I don't know what to do about the Sorceress, I know I need some backup magic defense, but I don't know if 150pts for an extra DD and 2 scrolls is the way to go. But yeah...

Time of Madness
08-10-2008, 00:07
Infantry dark elves is probally not the best way to go. They have two decent infantry units in my opinion (warriors/black guard) which is not enough to base an army on.

To really make the list successful I think you will need to take advantage of the dirt cheap cold one riders (unit of 5 for 130ish points). This will solve your "big stuff" problem as the cold ones really pack a punch in combat and act as good screens (2+ save).

The biggest problem with your list is the expensive cauldron. It really takes up a big chunk of points and doesn't add a whole lot to the list.

For your bsb equipment look at taking the armour of darkness (+1 save) and the peral (gives unit immunity to pysch). Two very good options for the bsb especially if he joins a warrior unit that has a warbanner.

The sorceress is good as is. The lord is alright, however I prefer to give him the hydra sword/potion of strenght combo over crimson death.

The corsairs are probally your weakess unit and don't add a lot to the list. I think you'd be better off with some crossbows for some range attacks.

Here's a quick look at my 2000pt army (infantry based)

Lord
BSB
Sorceress
20 warriors with warbanner
10 x-bows
10 x-bows
5 harpies
5 shades
5 cold ones
5 cold ones
17 black guard
2 hydras

Time of Madness

Mannfred
08-10-2008, 12:52
Honestly i don't see problems with infantry based lists for Dark Elves - personally i'm very fond of these lists....

Played in a tournament recently..

List was something along the lines of:

2000pts
Lord: 3rd Level Sorceress
Heroes: 2 x 2nd Level Sorceresses
Master - BSB - ring of darkness (Blackguard)
2 x 10 Warriors (No upgrades)
2x 28 Warriors with Warbanner
4x 10 Crossbows with shields
14 Black Guard - asf banner
3 Bolt Throwers...

A Ghrond themed list...

Stihv
09-10-2008, 00:16
Honestly i don't see problems with infantry based lists for Dark Elves - personally i'm very fond of these lists....

Played in a tournament recently..

List was something along the lines of:

2000pts
Lord: 3rd Level Sorceress
Heroes: 2 x 2nd Level Sorceresses
Master - BSB - ring of darkness (Blackguard)
2 x 10 Warriors (No upgrades)
2x 28 Warriors with Warbanner
4x 10 Crossbows with shields
14 Black Guard - asf banner
3 Bolt Throwers...

A Ghrond themed list...

The thing is, your list is much more shooting based, whereas I want to do a combat list, and I also dislike a lot of magic, and I never want to take a Sorceress Lord.

thebladesmaster
09-10-2008, 05:59
G'day
I just totaled up your army list and I have noticed that you have over priced your Dreadlord and that the total of your army comes out to 1946 which leaves you with 54 more points to play with. My suggestion would be either give a magic standard to your battle standard or increase you black guard unit to 19.