PDA

View Full Version : Using True Scale marines in a game.

bluebugs
08-10-2008, 01:06
I always like the idea of true scaled marines. But it always seemed such a daunting task to make an entire army of them what with marines slowly getting cheaper.

So I got to thinking, why not just use them as terminators? They are normally made from mostly terminator bits anyway, right?

I've come across a few problems with this;

1) I would only do chaos, deathwing is not an option. So what would I count core marines as? Chaos scouts? Cultists? Daemons?

2) If I decided to true scale a terminator, what do I count it as? A walking daemon prince? Dreadnaught?

Does this seem viable? Could it make for an extremely awesome army?

zoodog
08-10-2008, 02:07
you should have linked this thread (http://warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=163606) so I knew what you were talking about.

bluebugs
08-10-2008, 02:11
I apologize zoodog. I figured it was common lingo here. I guess not.

ehlijen
08-10-2008, 02:12
I don't think they look different enough from regular marines to be classified terminators. Sure, they're a bit bigger, but put them into squads and slightly apart and suddenly the player on the other side of the table will have problems figuring out which ones the terminators are.

Use them as command squads or the like, but terminators need to be visually very different from regular power armour marines as they are and act very differently.

Hicks
08-10-2008, 02:40
Well if I were to make true scale marines, I would certainly not make 50 of them to play a normal game, that would just be too expensive and long to do. A squad is much more manageable, so how about using the movie marines rules (even if slightly toned down)?

sabre4190
08-10-2008, 05:10
I kind of agree with hicks. I think if youre going to give them true scale, give them true strength ratings as well. I mean, you can't really use it as an army, but I think that would be fun.

Bunnahabhain
08-10-2008, 09:05
I'd go with Movie marine rules too. Only requires you to do a squad or so, and much more interesting than a simple counts as..

Kurisu313
08-10-2008, 09:11
With my truescale project I'm up to:

Captain
Command squad
2 10 man Tactical Squads
5 man Grey knight squad
chaplain with jump pack

add in some dreads and vehicles and I'm up to 1500pts. I'm currently planning on mainly using them as allies to my guard in apocalypse though, rather than using a whole army of them. I might datasheet them to make them a bit harder, but I'm okay with the new marine dex. I just us them with the standard rules.

However, I want to do a 10 man assault squad and use them as a skyhammer formation coming in to save the day like the futurustic knights in shining armour they are.

I've played the movie marine list, and it's fun, but overpowered, so it's not for pick-up games.

Hope that helps in some way

Asi the Red
08-10-2008, 14:32
If you're looking to use them in a Chaos army I think I'd go with them counting as Chosen (or if you're nuts and use Fabius Bile, Enhanced Warriors).