PDA

View Full Version : Geller Fields and Chaos ships?

Old School
08-10-2008, 10:19
Do Chaos ships use Geller fields (or equivalent) when they travel through the warp?

Or do they do without it and... get an exemption from warp predators? What stops their ship/crew/machinery etc warping unnaturally and end up being turned in to... a bowl of petunias?

p.s. edited for correct spelling of Geller.

Born Again
08-10-2008, 10:39
Yes, for the most part. Chaos ships are Imperial tech, so use Gellar fields. I don't have any quote for this, just basic assumption. I don't imagine they'd get any immunity, as Khorne daemons would take any chance to eat up Slaanesh followers. There may be some exceptions, like ships possessed by daemons or such, but for the most part I imagine yes, they would need Gellar fields.

Ikkaan
08-10-2008, 11:48
Do Chaos ships use Gellar fields (or equivalent) when they travel through the warp?

Minor thing: Itīs "Geller", not the Buffy actress :-)

Yes, for the most part. Chaos ships are Imperial tech, so use Gellar fields. I don't have any quote for this, just basic assumption. I don't imagine they'd get any immunity, as Khorne daemons would take any chance to eat up Slaanesh followers. There may be some exceptions, like ships possessed by daemons or such, but for the most part I imagine yes, they would need Gellar fields.

Chaos ships are whatever they were before they became chaos ships...its just that we are always shown the overabundant traitor legion vessels...

Chaos Marines and their minions are corrupted but still biological lifeforms. They would not be able to widthstand raw warp exposure. The ship wonīt be spared from attacks without a gellar field, as daemons of different chaos entities (note that i donīt point to the usual 4 ruinous powers...thereīs still more) would not recognize or accept any pacts. So, chaos marine vessels would still need geller fields for protection, and benefits from their patron deity may apply.

Still, Chaos can be found anywhere....chaos eldar (said to exist), chaos squats, and innumerable other corrupted races may still be in possession of their ships. Which in turn could be protected by every weird way/ritual possible (requiring constant blood flow to function, require the crew to go into a sort of stasis, constant prayers, self-mutilation, chanting foul songs, dancing in strange patterns).

PondaNagura
08-10-2008, 14:50
i'd imagine if the geller fields generators weren't maintained that they would have some magical equivalent of the field for their ships. they are chaos, things do wear down and corrupt over time, bu i agree that they probably couldn't survive raw chaos energies.

DoomedFuture
08-10-2008, 16:30
In the book Dark Apostle, it mentions that the chaos ship needs no Geller field, as the warp creatures recognize the chaos marines as one of their own.

ChaosTicket
08-10-2008, 23:53
Oh, most ships do as otherwise the ships would be ripped asunder and warped into space hulks.

weissengel86
09-10-2008, 01:40
In the book Dark Apostle, it mentions that the chaos ship needs no Geller field, as the warp creatures recognize the chaos marines as one of their own. I dont see how this is true. Chaos is not made up of different factions of creatures/daemons/corrupted who are buddies that share a beer with each other. If Khorne Daemons came across an unprotected slaaneshi ship in the warp would they really hesitate to completely destroy the ship? The same goes for all the other gods and their rivals. Not to mention the many daemons and warp entities who are simply mindless destroyers with no allegiance.

jibbajabbawocky
09-10-2008, 04:58
I dont see how this is true. Chaos is not made up of different factions of creatures/daemons/corrupted who are buddies that share a beer with each other. If Khorne Daemons came across an unprotected slaaneshi ship in the warp would they really hesitate to completely destroy the ship? The same goes for all the other gods and their rivals. Not to mention the many daemons and warp entities who are simply mindless destroyers with no allegiance.

However, the Slaaneshi daemons in the warp might be protecting/hiding/guiding the ship from the Khornate ones.

Faustburg
09-10-2008, 05:56
... but they will not protect you against a purely non-sentient, not anywhere near to being aligned to any type of faction, tsunami of un-reality, so you still need the field (or the sheer bulk of a space hulk) to keep you reasonably intact on your journey.

Born Again
09-10-2008, 10:38
exactly. It's not just daemons in the warp. There's the sheer energy of it, and non-daemonic warp creatures such as enslavers.

Revlid
09-10-2008, 10:55
exactly. It's not just daemons in the warp. There's the sheer energy of it, and non-daemonic warp creatures such as enslavers.

Keep in mind that these are the Word Bearers - there's likely some kind of sorcery going on to shield them from the ambient dangers of the warp.

DapperAnarchist
09-10-2008, 22:04
Even if there were no chaos, and no storms, the Warp is a risky place, full of dangerous native fauna. Astral Hounds and Enslavers are just two examples - there could be many more creatures that do not have the ability to leave the warp, but prey on the other creatures of the Warp.

MrBigMr
09-10-2008, 23:57
I think a mixture of Geller field, sorcery and various wards is probably the best bet. Chaos has good knowledge on Chaos, so certainly some sorcerers could secure the ship from intrusion via spells. Chaos worshipers aren't some hippies. The top dog will always **** on those below him, so what makes people think a daemon is going to respect said mortal any more than he is willing to respect those below him? Chaos isn't some gentlemen's club where everyone is on their honors. Anything goes and you damn well better secure your ass from daemonic penetration... Wait, that didn't sound right. I mean a daemon is going to crew you over no matter how devouted you are. No matter how good the little piggy is, he's bacon sooner or later.

I think it's one of those GW's grey areas. Sort of "how ever you want."

weissengel86
10-10-2008, 05:04
Anything goes and you damn well better secure your ass from daemonic penetration... Wait, that didn't sound right. :p come on you know you spent like ten minutes thinking that up then couldnt resist putting it in there. lol

Born Again
10-10-2008, 09:15
^ we all know he did.

Of more interest to me would be Orks in warp travel. Do the Meks build a Geller field equivalent when constructing ships, or is it one of those "it happens because the orks believe in it" things? They think they can breath and survive in space, so they do. Page 18 of the ork codex makes reference to a daemon, so they're not totally immune.

Clockwork-Knight
10-10-2008, 09:26
Yes, orks have something equivalent to that. They also have trakktor-beams and other powerful force fields that makes Eldar and Human technology look like primitive.

MrBigMr
10-10-2008, 09:44
I don't have to sit and think, it flows right outta me. I'm a walking Freudian slip.

As for Orks ships, BFG seems to say they're mostly ships taken from other races. Their Kroozers are Imperial cruiser pimped out with an Ork II bodykit and interior design that makes them look something completely different. So I would think they have the Geller field still in the ship. Then there's probably Gork'n'Mork picking those little critters off the ships hull and tossing them to the next galaxy.

Minor thing: Itīs "Geller", not the Buffy actress :-)
Right, "Geller" as in Ross and Monica Geller.

See people, that's me sitting and thinking about it. Because it ain't dirty.

weissengel86
11-10-2008, 04:32
I don't have to sit and think, it flows right outta me. I'm a walking Freudian slip.

As for Orks ships, BFG seems to say they're mostly ships taken from other races. Their Kroozers are Imperial cruiser pimped out with an Ork II bodykit and interior design that makes them look something completely different. So I would think they have the Geller field still in the ship. Then there's probably Gork'n'Mork picking those little critters off the ships hull and tossing them to the next galaxy.

Right, "Geller" as in Ross and Monica Geller.

See people, that's me sitting and thinking about it. Because it ain't dirty. Considering your avatar i dont doubt that it just flows from your mouth (or fingers) hehe.

The orks might have some protection from the warp because of the psychic presence from the WAAAAGH!! just like the tyranid's ships and a shadow in the warp.

Somebody mentioned the word bearers and how they would have extra protection from sorcery and the like. This is probably true since word bearers are the most fanatical and are chaos undivided so they might have pacts and sorcerous energies that protect their ships. Im sure its probably not a good idea for a daemon to get on the bad side of some of the chaos legions because of the power they have and the respect they have from the chaos gods. Considering the Daemon primarchs are pretty much the favored servents of the chaos gods it would be a bad idea for a daemon or such to **** them off. Abaddon for example has favour from all four gods and a daemon pissing him off probably wouldnt last very long.

edited for clarity