PDA

View Full Version : : Da Bleedin Eye Boyz

Felworth
08-10-2008, 21:18
Orcs & Goblins vs. Random: 2,250pts Concept: Da Bleedin Eye Boyz

Orc Warboss, light armor, boar mount, Ulag’s Akrit Axe, Enchanted Shield, Warboss Umm’s Best Boss At, Bigged’s Kickin Boots
Total… 247pts

Generally this fellow should be a Blorc with heavy armor but I’m trying something different. The Akrit Axe and Kickin Boots help the boss do what he’s good at, smashing enemy RnF into red mist. If someone brings a character decked out to kill my lord (or gasp, an assassin!) then he’s going to die rather quickly even with a 1+/5+ save. A regular Orc warboss can still dish out the RnF murdery for about 30pts cheaper. The boss here will lead the Orc infantry and Gork (or is it Mork?) willing the unit won’t fail that many animosity tests. Worst comes to worse he can call the WAAAGH so I’ll have at least one turn of animosity free movement.

Black Orc Big Boss, heavy armor, battle standard bearer, Mork’s Spirit Totem
Total… 139pts

The classic Blorc bsb armed with the Spirit Totem, his position is a tough one. Lacking armor he’s an easy target for enemy RnF troopers that get the charge in while conversely I’m loath to mount him on a boar for added armor as an extra choppa/great axe add to his unit’s combat resolution. To solve this I’m going to place him in the Night Goblin infantry (An Orc, nah, a Black Orc leading weedy grots? MADNESS!) where the nets should make killing him in one go a tad difficult. That and the fanatics... you want the Blorc you’ll need to eat through a pair of ball and chain wielding nutters first and that’s rarely pleasant.

(Forest) Goblin Big Boss, Gigantic Spider, Amulet of Protectyness, Sneaky Skewerer
Total… 110pts

This fellow was more of an impulse buy then a particularly well thought out idea. With so many Spider Riders in the army it only seemed natural that there should be a boss Spider Gob. More often then not I find Gobbo fast cav can hold up enemy skirmishers or fast cav but will lose sooner than later… thus allowing said enemy units access to the OnG army back field which is generally a problem. Hopefully spider boss here can sort out those issues with poisoned attacks and the skewerer for knights. Amulet of Protectyness incase said enemy knights come backed up with a fighty hero.

Night Goblin Shaman, Sneaky Staff of Stealin
Total… 100pts

The shaman is for purely defensive purposes only. He’s to sit quietly in the front of the Night Goblin infantry unit alongside the Blorc bsb and concentrate very hard on making sure skeletons stay immobile on the ground, fireballs don’t just spontaneously generate for no good reason and comets remain in the sky where they belong. He is NOT to attempt spell casting of any sort. I’m very tired of him blowing up and taking portions of the army with him.

29 Orcs, shields, full command
Total… 204pts

29 Night Goblins, nets, full command, 2 Fanatics
Total… 192pts

The Orc infantry and the Gob infantry form the center of the Bleedin-Eye battle line, each unit housing Orc heroes capable of adding kills to their units nearly guaranteed 5 combat resolution.

5 Forest Goblin Spider Riders, musician
Total… 71pts

Total… 71pts

Total… 71pts

The quick and the expendable. As is the fate of all my Gobbo fast cav these boys will attempt to keep the board edges clear of enemy flankers, attack artillery if possible and (Mork protect them) charge a flank if the situation is desperate enough. Basically interfere with the enemy player’s plans as long as possible before having to take terror/panic tests that will invariably see them off the board.

20 Black Orcs, shields, full command, Nogg’s Banner of Butchery
Total… 343pts

5 Squig Herder Teams
Total… 150pts

Despite lacking fighty characters both of these units should be able to out fight anything that comes their way through sheer numbers of high weapon skill strength 5 attacks. On the way in things might get dicey as Squigs have low toughness and Blorcs are just as vulnerable to bolt throwers as anything else. In going for a 20/25 strong units the Blorcs/Squigs should still have a rank or two when they hit the enemy lines to keep them combat capable. Plus Squigs are Immune to Panic so despite their low toughness and mere 5+ Goblin handler armor save they’re less likely to be a high priority target.

Orc Boar Chariot
Total… 80pts

Orc Boar Chariot
Total… 80pts

As fighty as the four main combat units are they can always use back up and this comes in a pair of Boar Chariots. That and cannonball attractants. I’m tired of character sniping.

4 Trolls
Total… 160pts

Expensive I know but Trolls do have pretty decent combat potential and survivability. Provided they don’t go stupid on me (ha…) they can beat up knights or anything weaker then they are. Provided they don’t go stupid…

Giant
Total... 205pts

Yes, the Giant. His job is to protect whatever flank hes on while the Spider Rider boss guards the either. It’s really nice having something more then capable of smashing down a Dragon/Hydra/etc when needed.

Army Total… 2,223ish

In general I find two big problems with the average OnG army that dovetail into each other that make battles rather difficult.

The dangerous stuff getting wiped out on the way into the enemy battle line and the remaining units being unable to win combat in a decisive (IE breaking them) manner.

Theres little point bringing an economical Blorc unit, a chariot and a giant if they can all be wiped out in two shooting/magic phases. Sure, the Night Goblins and regular Orc boys make it through (provided the panic tests were passed) with nary a scratch but now they have to tackle enemy elites and fighty characters on their lonesome. It’s a hard fight even with outnumbering on your side.

To that end my army can hopefully counter that by having four main combat blocks, each of which can hold its own in a fight. The chariots and trolls operate between or on the side of the four main blocks, adding CR support and trying to seem scarier then they actually are. Lastly the Spider Riders with attendant Spider boss and Giant sweep the far flanks of the army and make runs at the enemy rear.

In buffing up the army in the movement and combat phases I’ve left myself no shooting. That and no magic but I’ve 6-7 DD every turn so that should put the enemy player in the same boat. Anywho, what do you lot say? Decent plans, indecent plans, learn to play noob, etc…

Thanks for your time.

Kalec
09-10-2008, 05:17
The trolls just won't work. Your army hinges upon keeping large infantry blocks within your generals ld bubble, and trolls do not help mitigate that. Plus, one failed test and they force your entire core to stop and wait for them next turn, or to leave them behind and abandon them entirely. Not a good set of options.

Vam2tic
09-10-2008, 07:06
i agree with the comment above. Trolls really need to be in the generals leadership bubble but so do some of your other units so it will be a pretty cramp deployment zone. Also i don't think that the enemy will try an engage your night goblin unit any way because a good opponenet will have decided that unit probably will have fanatics in it so they will shot it and magic it to death. i would probably drop the trolls and get another unit of night goblins

Just my 2 cents

Vam2tic

Felworth
10-10-2008, 02:13
The trolls just won't work. Your army hinges upon keeping large infantry blocks within your generals ld bubble, and trolls do not help mitigate that. Plus, one failed test and they force your entire core to stop and wait for them next turn, or to leave them behind and abandon them entirely. Not a good set of options.

I'm not sure.

If the Trolls fail stupidity they still move about 3 inches or so where as the general's unit can at best move 8 inches. Five inches difference, give or take forward will still leave the Trolls within the LD bubble. Two failed stupidity tests and the main line will need to slow an inch or two to keep the Trolls in the bubble. Three failed tests and I'm probably losing anyway.

Plus, I'm more afraid of failed animosity tests where whole units don't move at all as compared to the Trolls who are still able to stagger in the right direction if at least slowly.

i agree with the comment above. Trolls really need to be in the generals leadership bubble but so do some of your other units so it will be a pretty cramp deployment zone. Also i don't think that the enemy will try an engage your night goblin unit any way because a good opponenet will have decided that unit probably will have fanatics in it so they will shot it and magic it to death. i would probably drop the trolls and get another unit of night goblins

Just my 2 cents

Vam2tic

Again, I'm not too worried just yet. The Squig team can operate more or less out of the general's command bubble as they don't have to test for panic and what not which leaves enough room to keep the Trolls within the bubble. Plus, another unit of Night Gobs would still need to remain in the general's bubble (what with their crummy 5LD) and just as likely to slow down thanks to animosity as stupidity. Except unlike the Trolls the NGs won't be able to hold their own in a fight, hoping that a 5 CR can see them through.

As for the comment about smart opponents keeping away from the first unit of NG and instead shooting them. Good. The more NG the enemy bangs shots off at the more Orcs, Blorcs, chariots and monsters survive to attack their main line.

Heck though, maybe Ogre Ironguts could serve the same purpose as the Trolls but without needing to stick so close to the general?

Please, more advice. I had to rethink the Trolls for awhile and recalculating things is always good.

Felworth
11-10-2008, 14:58
1st bump.

perhaps of many I fear.

w3rm
24-10-2008, 19:36
i like it alot its pretty balanced

Felworth
28-10-2008, 02:53
i like it alot its pretty balanced

Thank you for the compliment w3rm.

So far the army wiped out a moderately upgunned Skaven army for few Orc casualties. Lost plenty of Squigs and Gobs but they hardly matter anyway.

Anyone else have any concerns, comments, critiques or the like? Hopefully...