PDA

View Full Version : HE 750 Point List for Tourney

NecronBob
09-10-2008, 18:53
A local store is running a 750 point tournament, and I have decided to go. I was putting together a list, when I spoke to a friend, who noted that his O&G list would have a giant in it. That was a little unnerving since I have no idea what I'm going to do against a giant if I have to play him. Here's what I came up with. Help me figure out how to make it competitive, especially against a giant:

Level 2 Mage w/ Ring of Fury 175
15 Spearmen 135
5 Dragon Princes 150
Lion Chariot 140
5 Sword Masters 75
5 Sword Masters 75

Total: 750

My thinking was that a level 2 mage by itself wouldn't be worth much, but with a ring of fury, she might be able to get a destructive spell off per round. The spearmen give a decent anvil at low points, and I could use the two swordmaster groups as hammers alongside them. The Dragon Princes and the chariot would go off to hunt targets. I decided to splurge on the chariot because fear is powerful in such low point games.

Anyway, give me some ideas, especially for the giant. I'm a little worried that with the mage offering the only ranged attacks I have that I will be in trouble against demons and artillery lists. Any thoughts?

Malorian
09-10-2008, 20:44
I wouldn't bother with the mage. Just take a hero level combat character. Great weapon and the bolt thrower bow would fit nicely.

The sword masters are pretty small. I'd combine them, or make a unit of 8 and add mroe spearmen.

Don't worry about the giant. You ld is good enough to deal with the terror and all of your units are good for taking him out (ok, I wouldn't use the dragon princes on him other than to counter...)

NecronBob
09-10-2008, 21:33
I don't think I can get the bolt thrower bow on a hero. It's sixty points, so I think it requires a lord.

I was a little afraid of running into a caster who would be able to throw 3 casting dice against my two dispel dice if I had no mage. You think that's unfounded?

gerrymander61
09-10-2008, 22:44
I think you should roll with the mage, particularly when you have a nice bound spell on him as you do. at 750 points you could do some serious damage to smaller units. I wouldn't go with the swordmasters simply becasue you have nothing to draw fire from them. if you want an elite unit, i'd pick phoenix guard or white lions because they're much more resilient than swordmasters are. I like the lion chariot; many armies will haev a tough time dealing with that.

Kalec
09-10-2008, 22:50
A noble with a GW and the 40 point magic bow would work nicely and be much more reliable at shooting elite enemies then a mage.

Additionally, I would combine the swordmasters into a single unit, and try to swap the lion chariot for two tiranocs. Impact hits are devastating in this small a game, and two tiranocs give a lot more impact hits then a lion.

NecronBob
09-10-2008, 23:07
Good point about the bow. The ring of fury is 2d6 str 4 hits that is easy to dispel; the reaver bow is 3 str 5 shots every round. That coupled with the extra fighting power and leadership of a great sword noble is probably the better bet.

So, here's what I'm thinking now. See if you like this any better:

Noble (Heavy Armor, GW, Reaver Bow) 137
14 Spearmen 136
5 Dragon Princes 150
Lion Chariot 140
Tiranoc Chariot 85
7 Swordmasters 105

That's 743. I guess I can add a musician to the spears. That looks a little better to me. What do you think?

w3rm
24-10-2008, 19:40
Nice the second list is alot better. Although i dont see the point in play HE and not having a bolt thower. D3 no armour saving wounds are so nasty.

Abduction
24-10-2008, 20:45
A boltthrower eats a lot of points at this level, but against a giant I think it will be ver useful. I think that you should go with the mage because you porbably won't face a alot of dispel dice.

Kalec
24-10-2008, 22:15
Two dispel dice is enough to give a solo level 2 fits. And everyone has 2 dd or better.