PDA

View Full Version : How to make Necrons -fun-?

Fenris Regimental Command
09-10-2008, 19:53
Well, As some of you may remember, I'm taking a short break from my Guard in lieu of the new Codex coming out. That, and I've been playing them solid for about four weeks now, averaging one game per day.

However, instead of picking up some Speedy Eldar, or Dark Eldar...I think I might dust off the old Monolith and give my Necrons a spin. My question, do any of you have a proposed way (That doesn't include physically destroying the models, or putting them on/in a shelf/closet) to make playing Necrons a little less static, and a lot more fun?

More often than not, when I have played them, it felt like I was one of those poor Necrontyr, with my will and individuality sapped away by sticking my soul into one of those bodies. I know the new codex is supposed to add some life and flavor to the little (life)farmer-bots...but until then, is there anything you can do that just makes them 'a blast' to play?

Captain Micha
09-10-2008, 20:01
Play Mobility Madness Necrons.

Veil, flayed ones, with some wraith, or destroyers. (have scarabs either way) and a monolith or two.

Necrons are really fun when you play them as being a mobile strike and destroy force.

The question is how much experience do you have with the Crons? What units do you have? What are you aiming to do with your list?

Instead of Monos if you're crazy (read needing a rubber room) play using Heavy Destroyers.

09-10-2008, 20:17
The question is how much experience do you have with the Crons?

I've played with my necrons perhaps...5, maybe 6 times. I bought them about 2/3 years ago, painted them metallic red with white and gold highlights (my monolith isn't black and green! OMG!!) and then shelved them because playing them felt way too much like an assembly line

What units do you have?

I've got a lord w/orb, about 50 warriors, a monolith, 6 destroyers, 3 heavy destroyers, 10 pariahs, and 3 wraiths. Oh, and some scarabs...

What are you aiming to do with your list?

I have no clue, thus - the thread. :D

Captain Micha
09-10-2008, 20:24
ditch the pariah. (they're all but worthless at least they were in 4th.)

What is your typical list like? That you can remember? (Assuming you've not written it down somewhere)

Yeah you should have plenty of scarabs with that many warriors. I'd see about picking up a second squad of wraith maybe (so that they can support the first squad if you're using wraith) and have the third unit either be scarabs, or Destroyers (full squad of five)

(I'm assuming you still get three fast attack in 5e? Don't have the rules yet)

Heavy support, I'd go with a mono

Keep the Orb (do you have veil of darkness usually on him?) or ditch it.. but keep the Veil if you're short on points.

Fill the rest of your points out with warriors.
Ideally I'd say three squads of 10 should be more than enough.

If you still have extra points after that putting a couple of heavy destroyers in wouldn't be a bad idea.

You end up with a stupidly mobile army after that. You have two squads there abouts a turn that if you play your cards right can teleport. (and do the old double tap into assaulting unit's faces assuming that trick still works as well) and what isn't teleporting is about the mobility.

Mix in with your favorite terrain (strangely enough the more the better) and you've got Madness inducing fun on your hands.

Radium
09-10-2008, 20:26
Use pariahs! I have NEVER seen those guys on a gaming table...

I guess an army that uses wraiths, flayed ones CC lords and destroyers will be a lot more fun to play.
You'll just have to live with the fact you phase out by turn 3 or 4.... Maybe drop 20 warriors with a tomb spyder on the table to prevent this from happening (too soon)?

Captain Micha
09-10-2008, 20:28
Pariah traditionally have the big issue of having zip for durability given their utter pants for mobility. The run rule might address some of this, but I've not tried it. (too many bad experiences with pariah and have heard of too many others)

Don't worry about phase out too much.

Out of all the games I've lost with the Crons it's never been due to a phase out. And I've run with just 20 warriors before.

09-10-2008, 20:33
Ugh...phase out...if it were something more sensible, like 10%, or 15% then It would be a lot easier to be flexible with a list.

These are my former 500pt (skirmishes with the wife) and 1000pt lists;

500pt
Lord, Orb - 140(sometimes I would take a scythe+shifter, instead of Orb)
10 Warriors - 180
10 Warriors - 180

Phase out - 5 models.

1000pt
HQ:
Necron Lord, Res Orb, Phylactery - 155

Troops:
12 Warriors - 216
12 Warriors - 216
12 Warriors - 216

Heavy Support:
3 Heavy Destroyer - 195

Phase out - 10 models.

Captain Micha
09-10-2008, 20:41
Lord Veil Orb
11 Warriors
11 Warriors (feel free to bring down to 10 each)

Fast attack
3 Wraith
3 Wraith
3 Destroyers

total 956 points.

Lord Veil Orb
5 Immortals
10 Warriors
10 Warriors

6 Scarabs
Monolith
Tomb Spyder with staff of light. (though in hind sight I should have ditched this bugger and the orb for more scarabs) You could also ditch him and the Orb for 3 Wraiths if I'm doing my math right.
Total 962

Hq
Lord Veil Orb
Elites
-
Troops
10 Warriors
10 Warriors

Fast attack
4 Scarabs
3 Destroyers

Heavy Support
Monolith
(I was trying something with this one... failed miserably effin monolith is a point sinker.. should have ditched it for two more Destroyers and some Wraith, and ditched my orb ((noticing a trend here?)) for more scarabs.)

Total 993 points.

My remainder points would often change depending on what I was dealing with for 1500 point games.

Ps a new coat of paint never hurt either. My first crons were hideous and dull looking.. two paint schemes later I settled on one I really liked. I try to highlight my edges of the shoulders and the like (and the tips of the vertebrae of the spines) with gold or copper paint, along with the sides of the skull in thin lines.

Of course the glow in the dark paint on the hose parts of the bodies helped *evil laugh*

10-10-2008, 00:20
Well I might just end up painting them a different color, and trying out a mobile list. But is there nothing else to bring out the spark of life that once rested within these soulless machines?

Håkan
10-10-2008, 00:38
But is there nothing else to bring out the spark of life that once rested within these soulless machines?
Hah. No. Sorry. It's just what they are, a good stat line, hard to kill and immensly boring. Both their strength and their weakness being no specialization of any kind except for the lords.

But if you want fun I'd go for something a bit avant garde, hell, use those Pariahs just for the hell of it. Take a Lord with veil of darkness and go to town. Wraiths, scarabs, sure. Avoid destroyers because they are the obvious choice. Oh, for survivability, if you take the heavy destroyers, use them as three separate units.

Ubermensch Commander
10-10-2008, 01:15
..... and then shelved them because playing them felt way too much like an assembly line

I have no clue, thus - the thread. :D

Ding! We have a Winner! With such limited options and almost no unit upgrades for the Necron Units that is pretty much how they are gonna play every time.
Going destroyer heavy might be your best bet to try and get some life into the undead in space.

Bunnahabhain
10-10-2008, 02:08
Beer?

<<text inserted as filler to create a 10 character minimum post>>

10-10-2008, 02:20
Beer?

<<text inserted as filler to create a 10 character minimum post>>

:rolleyes: But that makes everything more fun! Though I suppose an all-encompassing answer is better than none. :D

I'll have to give that one a try, though I think I'd have just as much fun gluing sticks to quarters, and using those as minis! It's not like I'll be able to tell the difference, or care..really.

Sekhmet
10-10-2008, 02:49
Don't play crons at anything less than 1500 pts unless you have to, it's extremely boring.

But at 1k I use:
Lord with Veil
10 Immortals
20 Warriors
3 Heavy Destroyers

At 1.5k I use
Deceiver
20 Warriors
10 Destroyers
9 Scarabs with disruption fields
3 Heavy Destroyers

In general, my list is very "competitive" and mobile. Nothing static about it really.

Brucopeloso
10-10-2008, 08:40
I played necrons at 1500 with 24 (10 + 14) warriors, 1 lord with veil and orb, one lord with destroyer body, phylactery warschyte and phase shifter, 2 heavy destroyers (again units of 1), 10 scarab bases in two groups of 5, flayed ones and a tomb spyder and I had bags of fun with them.

The scarabs are hugely mobile and are the scourge of T3 troops and the perfect anti assault screen when playing CC opponents.

The destroyer lord is the ultimate in leman russ tank hunting (strength 5 + 2D6 armour penetration on a jet bike).

The warriors are rock solid and having them veiling around is just fun plus keeping the lord with the 14 strong unit and the spyder with the 10 strong means that if the 10 strong unit gets wiped out the warriors in that squad get to join the lord's unit courtesy of the tomb spyder.

The destroyers (light and heavy) are the ultimate in mobile firepower.

Necrons are boring only if you play them as a phalanx.

:chrome:

Pika_power
10-10-2008, 10:26
Take the minimum of normal men, then stock up on assault units. Flayed ones, Pariahs, Wraiths, especially scarabs. A c'tan too.

The reason pariahs suck is because the enemy shoots them. But what if the enemy had a c'tan to deal with? What if all their shooty units were in assault with scarabs? What if they were all busy fighting off the deepstriking Flayed ones?

Admittedly this is a very "For fun" list. But imagine your opponent's face as he gets slaughtered* by Close Combat Necrons!

*Results may vary

Lord Damocles
10-10-2008, 10:57
is there anything you can do that just makes them 'a blast' to play?
Dynamite!

BA DA DUM!

Seriously though, just write a list which isn't Warrior spam. If you take almost nothing but Ork Boyz, Orks will be boring to play. if you take almost nothing but Warriors, Necrons will be boring to play (and I should know - I used to run 51 Warriors at 1500 pts...).

If you have some other units in there, you can afford to play more aggressively as well. In a recent game against tyranids, my Warriors actually advanced and charged!

At the moment I'm using:

1000 pts
Lord - Warscythe, Res Orb, Gaze of Flame
11 Warriors
10 warriors
4 Destroyers
4 Destroyers
Tomb Spyder

1500 pts
Lord - Warscythe, Res Orb, Gaze of Flame, Phase Shifter, Phylactery
10 Warriors
10 Warriors
10 Warriors
4 Destroyers
4 Destroyers
Heavy Destroyer
Heavy Destroyer
10 Scarabs - Disruption Fields

Brucopeloso
10-10-2008, 11:43
Take the minimum of normal men, then stock up on assault units. Flayed ones, Pariahs, Wraiths, especially scarabs. A c'tan too.

Actually an assault group of wraiths, scarabs and a tooled up destroyer lord is pretty hard. :skull:

Pariahs and c'tan, not so sure. Slow moving, expensive (point wise) and easy to kill/dodge :(

Captain Micha
10-10-2008, 14:23
Well I might just end up painting them a different color, and trying out a mobile list. But is there nothing else to bring out the spark of life that once rested within these soulless machines?

I find that really being mobile is the only real interesting thing about 40k hehe.

I'd also play them at the 1500 level. at 1k we have so few viable options or builds. I just treat my 1ks (as you've seen) as cores so that I have a backbone to work with. At 1.5 k I actually have an army with a variety of options that work depending on the base build.

SPYDER68
10-10-2008, 14:40
When i did necrons if i remember right,, 15x Destroyers was always very very fun, 45 Str 6 Ap 4 shots, 36" Range with 12" movement..

Then toss in a monolith and warriors spam, and if enough points, a lord with veil and himself a squad of T5 Immortals to teleport around.

Waywatcher-
10-10-2008, 14:46
'How to make Necrons fun!'

Yeah, I find winning fun, and playing with them is fun, cus your winning......mabye you should change tatics rather than buy a 'fun' army. Cus there not supposed to have individuallity, thats there thing........

Waywatcher

Goq Gar
10-10-2008, 14:48
I'd try deleting them altogether and starting from scratch.

Sekhmet
10-10-2008, 14:49
Dynamite!
1500 pts
Lord - Warscythe, Res Orb, Gaze of Flame, Phase Shifter, Phylactery
10 Warriors
10 Warriors
10 Warriors
4 Destroyers
4 Destroyers
Heavy Destroyer
Heavy Destroyer
12 Scarabs - Disruption Fields
Hate to ruin your party, but you have 4 fast attack slots.

Captain Micha
10-10-2008, 15:24
Where is his fourth?

I see two squads of destroyers and a scarab swarm. *tilts head*

knightwire
10-10-2008, 15:46

Looks like 3 to me. Care to elaborate?

elusiveintrovert
10-10-2008, 16:09
Scarabs have a max unit size of ten. So twelve scarabs would have to be split into two units. So that would make two units of scarabs and two units of destroyers for a total of four fast attack choices.

Somerandomidiot
10-10-2008, 17:48
Scarabs have a max unit size of ten. So twelve scarabs would have to be split into two units. So that would make two units of scarabs and two units of destroyers for a total of four fast attack choices.

And obviously, it was his lack of understanding of fast attack slots that did him in, instead of something rare like a typo or a slightly confused number? =P

BTW, that looks very close to the lists I primarily play with my necrons, and I've never felt "bored" with them. Sure, they're boring to write a list for (but then again, which army isn't when you know it well?) but once you get in the field, you have more options than any other army in the game. Between all the teleporting options, half of your stuff moving like jetbikes, and the ability to hurt pretty much anything with even your basic troops, you've got more choices in one turn than most players will get in a game.

Usually, your units are limited to ~6" movement, and their roles are predefined based on what weapons they're carrying. That Devastator Squad in the back? Pretty sure they're gonna stay in one place the entire game, probably hiding in terrain. Your equivalent (Heavy Destroyers)? 12" move while still being able to fire means you can negate cover saves, contest objectives, or even jump into close combat like mine did last night (won me the game too... sent the 5 combat-squadded marines running, pushing them off the objective).

Then you've got your basic troops- they may come with something as complicated as a transport, but that's about it. 6" move, do you shoot or run? Necrons can move, or they can join with an equipped lord and teleport to any point on the map to rapid fire the hell out of something, or they can jump through a monolith, re-roll failed WBB saves (and still move 6" if they haven't yet this turn) to fire on something else entirely! Now that's what I call options.

I think people's complaint about Necrons isn't that they're boring to play- it's that they're limited. I've got Lords, Warriors, Wraiths, Destroyers, Heavy Destroyers, Scarabs, and Monoliths that I run regularly, compared to numerous options other codexes. On top of this, our options pretty much come standard except for the Lord- sure you can add Disruption Fields, but that's pretty pathetic for squad "customizability". The best I could hope for from a new codex is to add viable options in the list without removing our plethora of options on the field.

Lord Damocles
11-10-2008, 21:00

Where is his fourth?
I see two squads of destroyers and a scarab swarm. *tilts head*

Looks like 3 to me. Care to elaborate?

And obviously, it was his lack of understanding of fast attack slots that did him in, instead of something rare like a typo or a slightly confused number? =P

Yes it was a typo :p

Somerandomidiot gets a cookie for spotting the deliberate mistake. Yes... deliberate...