PDA

View Full Version : Annoyance netlings vs. flaming sword rhuin

moonlightpines
10-10-2008, 09:24
If a wood elf character with annoyance of netlings (enemy always hits on a 6) is in a challange with an enemy character who has Flaming sword of Rhuin (hits on a basic 2+) cast on them, what does the flaming sword character need to hit?

Is it a 2 or a 6?

Atrahasis
10-10-2008, 09:37
Roll off every round, the two abilities are equal and opposite.

Milamber
11-10-2008, 21:15
That situation was covered in the FAQ.
http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_CustomProductCatalog/m1540040_Wood_Elves_FAQ_2008-05_Edition.pdf

Personally I think the Annoyance of Netlings ruling is the worst I have ever seen. Any weapon that auto hits, i.e. the Destroyer of Eternities is a perfect example of why they got it wrong. Auto hit - no rolling to hit - overrides needing 6's to hit. Immovable object my ****, it's as plain as day. Makes sense for something that has to roll to hit though.

Nighthawke
11-10-2008, 21:28
thats the problem with most FAQ's they let a specific forum write it for them instead of looking at a variety of forums
and even then it becomes a mess just look at the daemons FAQ

Ganymede
11-10-2008, 22:59
You could also agree with your opponent to allow these two specific powers (needing specific values to hit) cancel out. In other words, you two could agree to allow your model to roll to hit as normal, as opposed to using either concrete value.

ehlijen
11-10-2008, 23:58
My houserule suggestion would be to:

Figure out what the model would need to hit without either effect.
Count how many steps in each direction those effects change the to 'hit' roll (automatic counting as needing 1's to hit).
Apply the difference of those two to the starting value.

Ie:
netlings vs rhiun

Base to hit (Say WS 3 vs 6, average wizard vs elf hero, I think).
Base number needed: 4
Netlings 4->6, ie two bad steps
Sword 4->2, ie two good steps
two minus two is zero
4s to hit.

Note that this is entirely unsupported by the rules but would make each effect sorta work rather than each one only 50% of the time.

SolarHammer
12-10-2008, 04:22
The Netling ruling is wrong because they put "always hit" items in with "hit on X" items. Rolling off works correctly for "hit on X" items, and I fully commend this, but the ruling is TOTALLY wrong for items that don't roll to hit because they automatically hit, as evidenced by the later Daemon FAQ answer about Daemonic Robes (which is another ruling that gets it right).

Yes, I realize one is rolling to hit, and one is rolling to wound, but it should be the same damn procedure. Automatic means you don't need to roll, hell this is laid out in the Killing Blow description.

I wish they would fix it, but they're too lazy/stupid.

narrativium
12-10-2008, 10:35
ehlijen: if you need a 4+ to hit, your ruling makes sense. However, if you need a 5+ to hit, your ruling makes it a 3+, and if you need a 3+, your ruling makes it a 5+! It's a reversal of skill!

No, I'd be content to D6 for it.

Gazak Blacktoof
12-10-2008, 11:13
Just ignore the ruling. If you know how it works you shouldn't even need the FAQ. The FAQs are final judgements for people who can't come to an agreement with their opponent.

The errata are the only parts of pdfs you shouldn't normally ignore- they're replacement rules- but even so you can ignore anything if you can agree to do so with your opponent.

DeathlessDraich
12-10-2008, 11:36
Yes. The FAQ is contradictory of course** but it is the official view and that's the way it should be played if opposing players disagree.

**It contradicts 2 rules:

1) Spites are not magic items - WE FAQ
2) Magic items has priority if there is a contradiction - BRB pg 120.
Therefore magic items that hit on 2+ etc gains primacy against Netlings.

However some players may not classify Flaming sword as a magic item even though it is a magic weapon.

Devil Tree
13-10-2008, 08:51
I'd say it depends on what the annoyance of nettlings is on. If itís on a Treeman it hits on a +2. On anything else roll off.