PDA

View Full Version : 2000pts Warriors of Chaos

meermiester
10-10-2008, 23:34
Definately going for a new Chaos army as i love the new models so i thought id write up a list that would do well in games at my local GW. Any advice/critisms would be extremely appreciated!

Exalted Champion - Chaos Steed, Filth Mace - 161
Sorcerer - Chaos Steed, Sword of Striking - 116
Sorcerer - 85

Warriors x 18 - Command - 300
Warriors x 18 - Command - 300
Marauders x 19 - Command, Light Armour, Shields, Nurgle - 164
Hounds x 5 - 30
Hounds x 5 - 30
Hounds x 5 - 30
Hounds x 5 - 30

Knights x 5 - Command - 250
Knights x 5 - Command, Nurgle - 280

Giant - 225

Thanks!

meermiester
11-10-2008, 08:13
Is this list too warrior heavy? Should i drop 6 warriors from each unit and buy a unit of 25 marauders instead? Or will large units of warriors be more useful?

Lordsaradain
11-10-2008, 11:41
Drop both warriors to 15, give them sheilds and get a spawn.

meermiester
11-10-2008, 17:51
Thanks, i was wondering how to put my painted spawn in!

So:

Exalted Champion - Chaos Steed, Filth Mace - 161
Sorcerer - Chaos Steed, Sword of Striking - 116
Sorcerer - 85

Warriors x 15 - Shields, Command - 270
Marauders x 19 - Command, Light Armour, Shields, MoNurgle - 164
Hounds x 5 - 30
Hounds x 5 - 30
Hounds x 5 - 30
Hounds x 5 - 30

Knights x 5 - Command, MoNurgle - 280

Giant - 225
Spawn - 55

=1996

Cognitave
11-10-2008, 18:01
I'd personally drop 2 squads of hounds for MoNurgle on the Warrior Squads. They cost enough, you might want to protect them more. Having a full command on the marauders is a bit of a waste of points. You should use the marauders to go up and down flanks or to screen your warriors. I wouldn't use champions or musicians on the marauders, mainly because the extra points could be used to give your Exalted Champion a shield or a lovely gift. It's a bit of a waste when the champ gets called out on a challenge and killed.

meermiester
12-10-2008, 06:10
Not sure about the marks. The hounds were there to screen the warriors from shooting and (if they survive), help with combat by charging flanks.

Dropping the champion and musician are good ideas though.

Exalted Champion - Chaos Steed, Shield, Filth Mace - 166
Sorcerer - Chaos Steed, Sword of Striking, Lore of Nurgle - 116
Sorcerer - Lore of Nurgle - 85

Marauders x 19 - Standard, Light Armour, Shields, MoNurgle - 152
Hounds x 5 - 30
Hounds x 5 - 30
Hounds x 5 - 30
Hounds x 5 - 30

Knights x 5 - Command, MoNurgle - 280

Giant - 225
Spawn - 55

=1989

Which leaves me with 11 points for items.... any ideas?

SolarHammer
12-10-2008, 07:09
These lists look pathetic to be honest. The infantry blocks will never get near combat. The sorcerors are bizarrely equipped --> to get the Lore of Nurgle they have to take the Mark of Nurgle which is 20 points.

There's nothing here that can hope to do any damage, there's nothing that can fight a big monster, there's nothing that can pin down skirmishers, there's nothing that can take a charge from a Bret lance.

It looks to be a very poor army, and I would not expect to do well with it.

A Chaos army needs a lord either to help in the magic phase or to punch stuff in the face. There is really nothing in the list that can take their place because the WoC book has no viable support units. Infantry, unless you are doing a marauder horde is also totally pants. Those medium sized units have a huge points cost, a cost that will either do nothing or be cashed in once the little fiddly dogs and knights are wiped out. They're too slow to support your Knights, which leaves you with two options, send the knights in as a first wave, in which case you will have 600 points fighting your enemy's entire army, or slow the knights down to attack with the infantry, in which case they get wiped out, leaving the infantry alone to be wiped out.

I would say all the attempts in this thread are light years away from being viable and the best bet is to start from scratch trying to get some kind of synergy going, because there is none here.

akgaroth
12-10-2008, 11:11
I suggest you to quit one sorcerer to make the other one a sorcerer of lev.2 and equip him with some magic items, or at least give him 2 dispell scrolls.
Paying 85 for only 1 more DD, same PD as you were taking a Lev.2 sorcerer and being able use only 2 PD to cast it doesn't help either. Or you had an other role for them?
I think you should also quit a warriors unit for a monster unit, ogres or dragon ogres are preferable; trolls are OK but they need to stay close to the general.
BTW, what miniatures do you have already?

meermiester
12-10-2008, 17:54
Im taking SolarHammer's advice (be it arrogantly put) and starting a new list. Im sorry if my list seems 'pathetic' but im not very experienced with WFB. The reason i posted my list on this site is to ask for advice in the first place. If i was a master tabletop tacticain then i wouldn't be posting!

Anyway, any support from anyone in the making of this new list would be fantastic. The criteria i was aiming for was:

- Magically defensive. My opponents will be High Elves and Vampire Counts so anything that would prepare my army for the magical onslaught would be helpful.

- Warrior based. I hate the troll and dragon ogre models and decided early on to try a list with a warrior/knights base.

The models i currently own are warriors, a nurgle lord/sorcerer, a giant, and spawns. I was planning to do a major shop when the book comes out and once i had my list sorted (with help from you guys).

Again, any help from anyone in the creation of this new list would be fantastic!

P.S. Are you sure sorcerers need to take marks? When i looked at the book in WW i didn't see anything about it.

SolarHammer
12-10-2008, 18:21
There wasn't any arrogance in my post! I am sorry if you thought so. Any malice was purely directed at how difficult it is going to be to make viable mortals list. The lists posted here were pathetic, not the posters! Please don't feel insulted, it was certainly not my intention!

As I see it, the criteria you have laid out will make it more difficult to make a playable army from an already challenging book. What you want will not be easy to play with and will not be point and click by any means.

You have basically highlighted two of the biggest weaknesses of the army book and chosen them as your criteria.

The WoC is terrible for magic defense because they have no way to generate extra dice or bonuses to dispel without taking Sorcerers. Sorcerers are trouble because the new Eye of Gods rule will often force them into challenges against much deadlier opponents.

And a Warrior/Knight base is difficult to utilize for the reasons I outlined above. M4 infantry is very difficult to synchronize with M7 cavalry, particularly when the rest of the army has practically nothing in the way of support units to deal with march blockers (dogs and Marauder cav just can't deal with Pegasus Knights or Chameleon Skinks fast enough) and especially when the army has nothing offensively ranged to get the enemy to advance.

With that in mind, you may want to reconsider at least one of the two criteria you have laid out for us, and possibly clarify whether by "Warrior based" you simply meant "semi-human in Chaos Armour, with or without a horse," and would be willing to develop a Knight based list. It seems sad, and I'm usually against cookie cutter lists, but in all honesty it will be much easier to play than an infantry based list.

P.S. Yes I am sure. Unmarked Sorcerers can only take spells from Death, Fire, Shadow, Heavens. Marked Sorcerers must take their gods lore.

meermiester
12-10-2008, 18:33
Thanks for your response SolarHammer. Hmm the new WoC does seem to be weak compared to other recently updated armies.

A knight-based list does make sense, and i suppose that means 2 units of marauder horsemen to make up my core. Is there any chance of a decent army that does have 2 units of warriors (with the rest mounted or hounds)? I really like the idea of chaos warriors (be it tactically viable or not).

I'm going to spend time making a list now and will post when done shortly.

meermiester
12-10-2008, 19:52
So:

Exalted Champion - Chaos Steed, Shield, Rending Sword (re-roll wounds) - 161
Sorcerer - DS, Lore of Death - 110

Horsemen x 5 - Shields - 70

Knights x 5 - Standard, Musician, Lances - 255
Knights x 5 - Standard, Musician - 230
Knights x 5 - Standard, Musician - 230
Giant - 225

Was thinking put the ExChampion into the knights with lances to create a hard hitting unit capable of breaking a unit when they charge. 2 more units of knight supported by fast horsemen. Scroll caddying, DD creating, sorcerers amongst the warriors. Then the giant thrown in to cause terror to any fast units wanting to charge the warriors.

OR loose a unit of knights and grab:

2 marks of nurgle on the warriors (or knights) - 60
2 units of 5x hounds (to screen warriors or knights from ranged fire) - 60
2x spawn - 110
=230

Whats the consensus?

SolarHammer
12-10-2008, 19:56
That army looks to be much better, and I would seriously consider dropping the Knight unit for the marks on the Knights, the hounds to screen and the spawn to protect the backfield.

I am still hesitant about those warrior blocks, but you seem to want them, and I think you know what you're getting into, so give it a shot and see what happens.

meermiester
12-10-2008, 20:33
Great, final army list sorted (unless anyone else has anything to add)!

Exalted Champion - Chaos Steed, Shield, Rending Sword - 161

Hounds x 5 - 30
Hounds x 5 - 30

Knights x 5 - Standard, Musician, Lances, MoN - 285
Knights x 5 - Standard, Musician, MoN - 260

Giant - 225
Spawn x 2 - 110

Thanks for those who helped!

SolarHammer
12-10-2008, 21:41
Try some games, throw some dice and see how it does.

Good luck!

akgaroth
12-10-2008, 22:09
Tell us after how it went.
Good luck!