PDA

View Full Version : Big Cavalry Units

BigbyWolf
11-10-2008, 14:10
Anyone got any ideas on what would be the best formation for a large unit of cavalry (say 15-20 strong including characters)? Ranks of 5 to get combat res, or a wider frontage to allow more models in B2B?

happy_doctor
11-10-2008, 14:48
I'd say it depends on the unit; if it's a heavy-hitting cavalry unit, then maybe an extra attack or two is worth sacrificing a point of rank bonus.

However, if it's goblin wold riders or tomb kings "heavy" cavalry, then 5-wide is the way to go...

Most people will say that large cavalry units are a waste, but when we're talking about fear-causing cavalry, the extra unit strength will prove to be a great advantage... Same goes for cheap cavalry models who can act as mobile infantry blocks...

Any particular builds that you have in mind?

BigbyWolf
11-10-2008, 16:09
Boar Boyz, possibly in units of 15 for an all cav O&G army, possibly same number of knights for a similar style empire army...

sniperjolly
11-10-2008, 18:01
For empire, you dont even put a champ or banner on core knights, on IC knights, however, running up to 14 (7 wide) is perfectly accepable. Generally knights are hyper-expensive, and doubling their price for just 1 combat res seems pretty stupid to me. Just buy the war banner!

Oberon
11-10-2008, 18:20
Then again, warbanner AND the rank is double CR than only the other ;) Big cav regiments work nicely when they are either cheap or undead IMO. Black knights with a couple of characters=tough.

Helveticus
11-10-2008, 18:30
Yeah, I'd run it 3 wide, and 5 deep ;) Though normally my "large" cav blocks are 3 by 3. 13A at WS5, S6, 6 at WS3 and S3, Plus A duelling combat Lord, MR 1, and ITP is a big enough cavalry block for me.

Your Mum Rang
11-10-2008, 18:36
Malus Darkblade + 11 CoK + Banner of Murder/Hydra Banner. WIN! :P

Braad
12-10-2008, 17:57
Yeah, I'd run it 3 wide, and 5 deep ;) Though normally my "large" cav blocks are 3 by 3. 13A at WS5, S6, 6 at WS3 and S3, Plus A duelling combat Lord, MR 1, and ITP is a big enough cavalry block for me.

But that would only work for bretonnia, and considering the guy has boar boyz, that's not really usefull.

For savage boar boyz, a bit wider would be better, for normal boar boyz, 5 wide.

Though I have to say I plan to field al my boar cavalry 5 wide, and units of 10. More is too much, less seems not orcy enough.

At the moment I just have 7 savage boar boyz though, and they also perform well, as long as you get the charge.