PDA

View Full Version : Malus's Raiders Dark Elves 1250

Countblah
11-10-2008, 19:10
After a summer break and a new home. Im trying too pick up warhammer again. For me painting is more important than gaming but occassionaly a friendly game is fine with me. My eyes have fallen on the new dark elves, and after reading the five Malus Darkblade books, I think it would be cool to make him my general. I made up a list which has almost only cavalry in it.

Malus Darkblade 275 points

6x Cold One Knights, musician, banner 186 points (Malus will join this unit)

7x Cold One Knights, musician, banner 213 points

5x Dark Riders , musician, shields, crossbows 122 points

1x War Hydra 175 points

Total 1093 pts so ive got 157 points left. Maybe upscaling the army to 1500 in the future but 1250 is my goal for now.

Is this list playable? Im really fond of the new Cold Ones and want a fast moving force. (already have a TK army and a all night gobbo so a new playing style would be great)

Are Dread Knights worth the points for the +1 attack?

Were should i use the 157 points for?

All gaming tips and comments are welcome.

Thanks for your help.

EndlessBug
11-10-2008, 19:56
do you have 1250 as the general points you play in your gaming club? it seems quite an unusual number, and if it isn't the set points limit I would definately suggest changing your aim to 1000, 1500 or 2000 points. You'll get more games.

For the 157 points I would suggest getting yourself a magic user (Nagiara? :D) on dark horse.

Dread knights certainly are in this instance, the attack is high strength and you want as many as you can get, seeing as this is the knights purpose.

The list definately is playable, and I completely agree with your love for this anti hero, I'm half way through the third book and absolutely love it. Never thought I'd be rooting for a bad guy so much! he is deliciously evil.

For upping to 1500:

perhaps grab some shades and harpies and another noble for the other unit (replacing a cold one knight).

As for 2000 points you could probably add another hydra (though people will curse you, a tag team of these bad boys is NASTY). another 1 unit of dark riders would help. Also either a supreme sorceress (Nagaria powerful/Uriel) or a dread lord (his brother/father/witch lord thingy?).

I've been sorely tempted to do similar for a while! The only special character I'd probably allow myself to use.

Mannfred
12-10-2008, 07:47
Hmm well if u can sort of recreate the army Malus leads in the novel "Lord of Ruin" so you can add in a pair of chariots...u'll need an assassin (forgot the name) maybe throw in some shades...

Dread Knight's are crucial not only for the 1 extra attack but the ability to take an extra magic item up to 25pts...this means for ur army u can take like the ring of hotek or null talismans; to protect urself from magic...u could even think about taking the Pearl of Infinate Bleakness making the unit immune to psychology meaning it over-rides stupidity...

Overall it's a decent army maybe a third unit of Dark Riders would be better i mean u have more Cold Ones then Dark Riders; doesn't make sense if u get my drift...

sideorder_of_chips
12-10-2008, 09:40
From Lord of ruin it would be abit like this:

Malus Darkblade

Two units of spearmen (one with assasin)

One unit of Crossbowmen

Lots of cold one knights

Black guard.

I haven't put on any numbers because they can easily be changed from unit to unit.

Damn...I might aswell start another thread instead of dictating OP's life.

Repsajanus
12-10-2008, 12:30
I like the list a lot! and those cold ones look really cool indeed. It's just a pity that Malus will now have the ugliest cold one whereas in 6th edition he had the nicest one ^^

u could even think about taking the Pearl of Infinate Bleakness making the unit immune to psychology meaning it over-rides stupidity...

uhm, ItP is only against panic, fear and Terror ...
the only way to get rid of stupidity is Spite.

Countblah
12-10-2008, 22:22
Thanks for your comments on my list. Ive made some adjustments. Also explaining my use with each unit. Because of my great speed of the whole army i can pick the fights i want. So i will take my time only softening up the opponent with the hydra and crossbow fire. Until its time to charge in with the knights. I think turn 3 is the best time to charge in.

1x War Hydra 175 points

Spear unit, will be in the center of the battlefield. Trying to get into combat as soon as possible and sacrifice itself. I think loosing the Hydra isnt as bad as losing one of the knight units. (losing a banner etc.)

Will deploy in front of the knights so my opponent cant shoot my knights. They will move to the side to let the knights charge on the next turn. Flank charging, if the knights dont break on the next turn they charge. Harass with crossbows if no charges are made.

Same as the other riders. But with the other knight unit.

Malus Darkblade 275 points General

6x Cold One Knights, musician, banner 186 points (Malus will join this unit)

7x Cold One Knights, musician, banner
1x Dread Knight + Ring of Hotek 254 points

For the extra punch on the charge im adding a Dread Knight with the Ring of Hotek for some magic hesitation on my opponents side.

As for the remaining points ive added shades. Awsome skirmisher unit and i love the models.
7x Shades 112 points

Hope to use the scout rule and harass with the multipe shot. Trying to stay close to the enemy so they can use the bows to their full benefit.

Total points 1246

Im thinking about dropping the crossbows on the Dark Riders to free some points for an extra Dread Knight but i think its to much eggs in one basket. Dont know how to use Malus and his "friend" T'zarkan Maybe leaving the knight unit and charge soft units on the flank.

Im going to use the new Dread lord on coldone model and rebuild him to use as my Malus.

Comment are welcome