PDA

View Full Version : Crash Course in Orcy Tactics

Xarius
11-10-2008, 20:43
i have been playing orcs for a very long while now but never bothered with tactics. so what does eeryone do in their competitive lists?

Bob the Butcher
12-10-2008, 01:06
Not sure about Orc lists but I have fought against a nice Goblin list at 2250pts.

2 X 5 Wolf riders on flanks.
2 Squig herds
1 giant
1 unit 20 Black Orcs full command
2 Chariots
2 Pump Wagons
4 X 30 Goblins with netters, 2 fanatics each
2 Goblin Shamen
Skarsnik

A fun list to play against and not overpowered but very competitive.

Obviously static Combat resolution of 5 is important for goblins especially (nets reduce damage a bit).
Leadership keep the gobbos near the general
harrass the flanks with doggies
Fanatics do central damage
Squigs, Chariots, Giant & Orcs are the Hammer units

Braad
12-10-2008, 19:01
CHAAAARGE!!!

That's about it, right?

No, I'm not kidding. Often my tactics mainly consist of getting my big blocks of gobs, boyz, or BO's into CC ASAP, supperted by artillery fire (usually chukka's, sometimes Doom diver, and working on 2 lobbers) and strong and fast flanks, like savage boar boyz, chariots, giants and trolls to provide a hammer for my anvil.
In the meanwhile, wolf riders are harassing the enemy lines, taking out the odd wizard/warmachine.

w3rm
16-10-2008, 00:55
hah for 2000 points just take 1 night goblin big boss and take 655 night gobbos and swamp em with numbers lolzer. seriosly i just swamp em with about 120 gobbos in 1000 points and i take 2 shammys and a battle standard bearer

StormCrow
16-10-2008, 06:51
a slightly sneaky tactic i use with fanatics is to take a unit of 20 goblins for each unit of night goblins with fanatics. That way i can ensure they hit the enemy by making them bounce through my goblins first. Basically you just move the goblin unit to an inch away from the enemy, then the night goblins behind them, so even if you roll dismally for fanatic movement they still make it.
Here's a dodgy diagram (E=enemy, G=goblins, F=Fanatic, N= Night goblin)

EEEEE GGGGG F<---- NNNN
EEEEE GGGGG F<---- NNNN
EEEEE GGGGG F<---- NNNN

It's about the orciest tactic i've ever come up with and in most games it's worked...although animosity can be a bitch. Can also work using orc's as the bouncing unit though i dont think they'd appreciate runty gobbo's zoggin their mates.

The main thing to remember with orc's is to charge...it doesn't matter if you lose, just get stuck in!

Bob the Butcher
16-10-2008, 07:10
Yes moving fanatics through your own units can be nasty as my Yhetees found out..

Xarius
16-10-2008, 22:54
cool stuff guys but do you rate shamans or spider riders.

Malorian
16-10-2008, 23:04
I basically use this as a bible: http://folk.ntnu.no/tarjeia/avian/subpage.php?s=index_greenskin_tactics

nasty_little_hobbit
17-10-2008, 17:41
When ever I play against my mates orcs&goblins with my dwarves the unit I fear most are his spider riders . He uses two units of 5 and one unit of ten and they always are the most valuable units in his entire army, I really do hope he doesnt buy another ten. Tthe spiders themselves normally do most of the killing as poison works very well against my dwarves; I reconmend atleast 3 units, they have the typical functions calvary of that nature utilise( warmachine hunting, march blocking) but can also pack a fair bit of punch on the charge if attacking in conjunction with other units.

Malorian
17-10-2008, 17:45
Your dwarfs shouldn't be fearing the spider riders (unless you are a slayer army) you should be fearing the spear chukkas and rock lobbas : )

Harwammer
17-10-2008, 23:42
The spiders themselves normally do most of the killing as poison works very well against my dwarves; I reconmend atleast 3 units, they have the typical functions calvary of that nature utilise( warmachine hunting, march blocking) but can also pack a fair bit of punch on the charge if attacking in conjunction with other units.

Just checking, but you do know you can use armour saves against poison? and forest goblins don't get hatred on dwarfs; only night goblins do. I fail to see how spiders cause you so much worry. You should be worried about his rock lobbers and spear chukkas. They have decent chances of wounding your dwarves AND allow now armour saves.

Zaphkiel
20-10-2008, 03:16
I basically use this as a bible: http://folk.ntnu.no/tarjeia/avian/subpage.php?s=index_greenskin_tactics

This thing has totally helped me out with my O&G army. Avian is a green god :D

nasty_little_hobbit
20-10-2008, 18:46
Yup indeed I am aware that I get armour saves and that they dont have hatred it just seems that he always has amazing luck with his rolls whereas I always seem to fluff my saves, atleast Its the other way around when it comes to his infantry units. Even if he doesnt get that many kills he often has got enough combat resolution from flank/rear attacks and removing my rank bonus.
I agree with you on the rock lobba just forgot to mention it in my first post, very nasty piece of work and amazingly ive only seen it misfire once or twice. Cant make a comment on spear chuka but they look dangerous on paper.
One question which isnt directly linked with the initial question, but is a mounted army viable + a few warmachines eg lots of spider riders, wolves, chariots, warmachines?

w3rm
24-10-2008, 23:17
I luv shamans! my armies no matter what im playing (except skaven gotta love grey seer:P) is a fighty charchter, 2 lvl 2 wizzards and a BSB. spider riders are nasty i can see why your worried nasty-liitle-hobbit. Wallcrawlers special rule is deady to sield walls that make use of teerain so they don't get flanked. i run em in small units 5-10. i play a very night goblin heavy army and i like wolf chariots, squigs and goblin cavalry (IMHO) is better than orc cavalry. and yes a mounted goblin force is something to be reconed with. i use spiders as a flanking force, and wolves in units of 15+ with all the fixins cept bows. 2 shammies on wolves warboss on a giant spider and a bsb on a wolf and your ready to go :p