PDA

View Full Version : Regiments of Renown

Bac5665
11-10-2008, 21:03
I'm just wondering if a DoW army composed only of RoR units could be competitive. I know that DoW can be solid middle tear in the hands of a good general, but I'm thinking about doing a list with only RoR.

Do people think the "free" character in each unit could make up for the restriction? I don't need a list the will beat abusive daemons, just something that can hold its own against most everything else.

sulla
12-10-2008, 00:20
You'd probably struggle. Most of those heroes have pretty poor armour leaving them vulnerable to being killed on the charge. Also, a lot of the RoR are a bit on the pricey side (probably to discourage armies using them to cover weaknesses too much) meaning you could be compounding the overpricing by taking multiple units.

That said, they are very characterful and fun units and you should be able to fit in 2 or 3 easily without compromising yourself too much.

RossS
12-10-2008, 04:15
RoR are, with a few exceptions, too expensive to form the core of the army. Oh, and the heroes are generally useless (unless we are talking about Voland or Golfag). To use an extreme example, with the Alcantani Fellowship, you get a slight discount on the individual pikemen because they have WS2. The problem is that you have to pay for a hero, so that at the end you end up paying about the same amount of points as you would have for a unit of WS3 models. The hero you payed so much for is basically a useless, poorly-armored dweeb, who will almost never contribute anything to a combat.

The crossbow units are another example. With both the Marksmen of Marigliano and Braganza's Besiegers, you have to pay for heroes and standards. Missile units should be cheap and disposable, these units are just a lot of easy points for the enemy.

Zot Zot
12-10-2008, 13:13
Using an army purely of Regiments of Renown from a "competitive" point of view suffers from "too many chiefs, not enough braves" syndrome. Even though you will typically have more 2 wound named models on the field than the same point total of a "standard" army, they don't really complement each other as well as hand picked characters. In addition, ROR suffers from a dearth of spell casters for magical defense.

RossS makes a very good point about the missile troops. It's all or nothing so you are paying points for a character and full command, making them less cost effective for their MOS. However, I would disagree about any of the characters being "useless."

Regiments of Renown were not created solely to be an army unto themselves without support units. Taking some DOW units to compliment your ROR units will greatly increase their combat effectiveness. Some small units of Duelists to guard flanks and taunt the foe, a unit of halfling archers (one of the most under-rated yet functional DOW units IMHO), and perhaps even a cannon or battlewizard to even out your plan for conquest. My personal favorite is my Valkyries (Mordheim Amazons that count as "Norse Marauders"). 80 points for 10 models with 4+ armour save in HTH, WS-4 and two attacks due to frenzy. But I digress slightly...

However, an army completely of ROR does have some very entertaining avenues. My personal favorite is "I can beat that army with XXXX points." In my squig pit, we take all the ROR units the group owns (say roughly 2000) and each player gets a chance to challenge with a lesser amount, say 1500. The player who challenges with the lowest point total gets first crack at beating them. If he wins, he holds bragging rites. Until someone challenges with a lesser amount (say 1250) and wins, then the title passes on.

I find that an ROR army can very entertaining to play (and that's my main reason for fielding armies anyway.) It does give you an idea of how the ROR units do work on the field and how they can find a way into one or more of your armies. So put out the call, recruit some names and have some fun.

Current ROR for hire in our pit.

The Alcatini Fellowship - 20
Oglah Khan's Wolfboyz - 10
Tichi-Huichi's Raiders - 7
Braganza's Besiegers - 15
Ruglud's Armoured Orcs - 14
The Cursed Company - 20

Chicago Slim
12-10-2008, 14:21
With both the Marksmen of Marigliano and Braganza's Besiegers, you have to pay for heroes and standards. Missile units should be cheap and disposable, these units are just a lot of easy points for the enemy.

Locally, I've seen the Marksmen used to good effect (because, BS4 is worth a few extra points).

I haven't ever seen anyone attempt to pull off Braganza's trick (which is to march the cannon up the sideline to midfield, and set up for enfilading fire on turn 2), but it sounds like it's at least got a shot of working.

RossS
12-10-2008, 21:03
Locally, I've seen the Marksmen used to good effect (because, BS4 is worth a few extra points).

I haven't ever seen anyone attempt to pull off Braganza's trick (which is to march the cannon up the sideline to midfield, and set up for enfilading fire on turn 2), but it sounds like it's at least got a shot of working.

I don't understand what you mean by "the Braganza's trick," could you please elaborate. I have used the Galloper guns to do something similar, if that's what your referencing.

The Marksmen are only worth it (or so I am told), when we are dealing with big battles. The fact that they have light armor, a standard, and a hero (who will only contribute one attack to the fusillade) makes them a poor choice, in my opinion.

These are the ROR that I regularly use:

Voland's Venators (A best buy, by far)
Long Drong's Slayer Pirates
Bronzino's Galloper Guns
Mengil Manhide's Manflayers (expensive, but if used well, can really put the hurt on your opponent)
Ricco's Republican Guard and Pizarro's Lost Legion can be useful. The WS4 and the ability to stand and shoot offers some handy tactical options.

sulla
15-10-2008, 16:20
Leopold's chaps are also useful due to their immunity to psychology.