PDA

View Full Version : Chaos Spawn Movement

Devon Harmon
11-10-2008, 22:25
After casually re-reading the rules, I believe that I may have been moving Chaos Spawn wrong.

Here's what I have been doing: During the cumpulsory movement phase, I nominate a direction (I usually place a scatter die next to the spawn with the arrow pointing where I want it to go). I then roll the 2D6 (or 3D6 if a Fiend) and move the spawn that distance. I pivit it on the spot, similar to the movement for monsters, chariots, skirmishers, and characters outside of units.

However, shouldn't I have to wheel/turn the spawn if it is moving in a direction different from its facing? I had previously thought spawn were monsters, but the unit strength chart on page 71 would seem to indicate otherwise. So do I pivot spawn, or do they have to wheel/turn?

A secondary question regards spawn charging. THe special movement rules state that if a spawns movement is sufficient to take it into contact with an enemy unit then it counts as charging, "following all of the normal rules." One of the normal rules is that a unit must be in LOS to be charged. So can a spawn charge a unit outside its LOS?

Lastly, just so that I am sure that I am playing correctly I have a question regarding movement of units that consist of a single model (i.e. one Bloodcrusher, Beast of Nurgle, Fiend, Troll, etc...). I have been treating these single man units as monsters (no wheel, turn, just pivot). I believe this is incorrect despite the fact I have played this way for years. If I understand the movement rules correctly, a Doombull can pivot on the spot while moving, however a unit that consists of a single minotaur must wheel/turn if it wants to change its direction? If this is not correct, could someone please point me to the rule(s) that I can't seem to find?

theunwantedbeing
11-10-2008, 22:28
Single models pivot.
Unit's of models wheel.

Page 58 of the Rulebook.
Details how monsters move, then each following sections links you back to using those movement rules to move for single model unit's.

Devon Harmon
11-10-2008, 22:40
That's what I thought, but I couldn't find it in the rules.

Bac5665
11-10-2008, 22:58
Look under single character. All lone infantry follow those movement rules, and a Spawn is an infantry.

Devon Harmon
11-10-2008, 23:18
I looked there. I couldn't find anything in the character section starting on page 72 that indicated that lone infantry followed those movement rules. I also didn't find anything in the "Monster" section that indicated those rules applied to lone infantry. Lastly, the only reference to lone infantry in the basic movement rules was on page 15 under the heading "Individual Models." However this section merely states that individual models can march. I cannot find any support for the proposition that individual rank and file models can pivot, although I have been playing this way for as long as I can remember (14 years or so).

Is this in the rules anywhere, or do we all just play this way? Someone please tell me what I am missing so I can feel like an idiot, kick myself for overlooking it, and then go back to lurking :-)

theunwantedbeing
11-10-2008, 23:21
Look under the rules for chariots.
Chariot movement, chariots move like monsters.

Then you just look for each similar section in each of the other parts of the rulebook and they all send you back to the same place.

Devon Harmon
11-10-2008, 23:37
Yes, I know. Chariots move like monsters. Skirmishers move like individual man-sized characters on foot. Characters with a unit strength more than 1, or that are mounted on a cavalry steed or monster move like mosters. None of these scetion deal with individual Non-Character infantry models (or individual Non-Character cavalry models for that matter).

Where does it say that individual Non-Character infantry models do not need to turn, wheel, etc..? This is the assumption I have made, but I cannot find it in the rules.

EDIT: In the Warhammer Chronicles 2004, on page 117, there is a handy chart detailing how various single models move. According to that chart, my assumption is correct, and spawn move like monsters. So was there a conscious change in 7th edition (which I doubt), or did they just leave this out of the rules? I assume the latter, since we all seem to be playing the same way, even though the RAW of 7th edition has not been shown (at this time) to support the proposition that individual non-character infantry models move like skirmishers/monsters.

Nurgling Chieftain
12-10-2008, 00:20
You require LOS to declare a charge. As spawn do not declare charges before they move, they do not require LOS to charge.

A spawn pivots like a monster, as it is a single model with a unit strength above 1. This is specified in the BRB on page 269. Maybe you're using the little rulebook?

Devon Harmon
12-10-2008, 01:03
Thanks NC!

Yes, I am using the little rule book, as mine has no page 269. Perhaps I should look into purchasing the big rule book. I was under the impression that all the rules I needed were in the little book, and that the big one had fluff and lots of nice pictures, but no extra rules (or clarifications).