PDA

View Full Version : Quick question on Magic

jospoon
12-10-2008, 13:58
I think I'm having problem understanding this so need you guys to help give me a good smack on the head and get this right.

Lets say I have a spell A that needs 4+ to cast.
I have an ability that says +1 to cast. I rolled 2D6 and got a total of 6.
When my opponent wants to dispell, which number he needs to dispell? 6 or 7?

Sames goes for VC's corpse cart which says -1 to cast and assuming I don't have the +1 to cast ability. If I rolled 2D6 and got a total of 6 also, is it 5 or 6 for my opponent to dispell?

Can you guys help? Thanks.

Atrahasis
12-10-2008, 14:09
The modifier is applied to the casting roll, so in your examples 7 and 5 would be needed to dispel, in that order.

Tarax
13-10-2008, 06:59
Atrahasis has it correct.

Only a double 1 or 6 does not need any modifiers. If you roll double 1 and have +1 to cast, you didn't NOT roll a miscast.
There are however some magic items which will let you re-roll or alter the dice you've rolled, even if you roll double 1 or 6.

Gazak Blacktoof
13-10-2008, 09:04
Also you need to roll a minimum of 3 to cast any spell. So the value on the dice must be equal to or greater than 3 before any modifiers are applied in order that you can cast any spell.

Condottiere
14-10-2008, 12:43
True - even with one dice, rolling a two and having a +1 casting bonus, a spell with a casting minimum of 3+ is unsuccessful.

theunwantedbeing
14-10-2008, 14:00
Atrahasis has it correct.

Only a double 1 or 6 does not need any modifiers. If you roll double 1 and have +1 to cast, you didn't NOT roll a miscast.
There are however some magic items which will let you re-roll or alter the dice you've rolled, even if you roll double 1 or 6.

Double negatives in an example?
Oh dear....

If you roll a double 1 and have +1 to cast you dont avoid the miscast.
You still rolled double 1 and so miscast as the modifier doesnt alter the dice roll.

Tarax
15-10-2008, 07:18
Double negatives in an example?
Oh dear....

If you roll a double 1 and have +1 to cast you dont avoid the miscast.
You still rolled double 1 and so miscast as the modifier doesnt alter the dice roll.

Double negative cancel each other. So my quote would be: "If you roll double 1 and have +1 to cast, you did roll a miscast."