PDA

View Full Version : WE 1000 Points

Durandal
12-10-2008, 16:54
How's this look for my first Warhammer army? I've tried to have a bit of variety, so I can learn how to use different units, but not too complicated. I may well have made a mistake somewhere. :o

Wood Elf 1000 Point Army

Glade Guard 2 x 10 (1 Standed Bearer) 252pts
Scouts 8 136pts
Glade Riders 8 (1 Musician) 201pts
Dryads 12 144pts
War Dancers 8 ( 1 Bladesinger) 172pts
Spellsinger 1 90pts

Total 995pts

Lord Malorne
12-10-2008, 17:00
Drop the standard it is not need at all, drop the scouts entirley and put in the standard alter Noble.

1 Alter Noble, great weapon, hail of doom arrow, light armour, helm of the hunt, shield=comes to like the exact points of the scots unit...on the charge he has 5 attacks at S6...best hero to have.

Otherwise the wardancers look good as do the rest of the army, though I would try to squeeze a scroll onto the spellsinger for those really important spells.

Durandal
12-10-2008, 17:37
Thanks Lord Malone! I'll make those changes. I wasn't sure about the scouts myself.

Durandal
13-10-2008, 11:54
I've just realised this should have gone in the Army List forum. Feel free to move it there.

Dragon Prince of Caledor
13-10-2008, 16:46
No banners to the archers it is just 100 easy victory points for your opponent. One level one wizard with nothing is useless for casting and dispelling. Either juice him up or take a noble. war dancers are cool but probably a little expensive for a 1000pt game. Good luck wood elves have some pretty nice models IMO :)

Kahadras
13-10-2008, 18:53
Wood Elf 1000 Point Army

Glade Guard 2 x 10 (1 Standed Bearer) 252pts
Scouts 8 136pts
Glade Riders 8 (1 Musician) 201pts
Dryads 12 144pts
War Dancers 8 ( 1 Bladesinger) 172pts
Spellsinger 1 90pts

Drop the standard on the Glade Guard
Replace the Scouts with another unit of Glade Guard
Drop the Glade Riders down to 5
Drop the Spellsinger for a Noble
Push the spare points into buying a Giant Eagle

Hope that helps

Kahadras

Lord Malorne
13-10-2008, 21:53
3 units of Glade guard at this amount of points is a bad idea, dropping the scouts for a noble is the right thing to do, and try to slip a dispell scroll onto the spellsinger.

Kahadras
13-10-2008, 22:53
3 units of Glade guard at this amount of points is a bad idea, dropping the scouts for a noble is the right thing to do, and try to slip a dispell scroll onto the spellsinger.

I disagree. I'd much rather have another unit of Glade Guard (or Dryads) than a Spellsinger. She only adds a single DD to the two you already get and will probably spend most of the game having her spell countered. If the extra DD is really needed then I'd sugest taking a Branchwraith with a Cluster of Radients.

Kahadras

Lord Malorne
13-10-2008, 23:00
Its worth taking for the ability of a scroll which can stop a dangerous spell and 30 archers at 1,000 pts in a WE army is only get in the way of each other, if she has calingors stave then that 3 treesingings a turn.

Once you have played a few games you will make your own mind up :).

Kahadras
13-10-2008, 23:09
Its worth taking for the ability of a scroll which can stop a dangerous spell and 30 archers at 1,000 pts in a WE army is only get in the way of each other, if she has calingors stave then that 3 treesingings a turn.

Fair point but you're spending 140 points on a model that is bringing a hard counter and an extra Dispel dice to the table. I concider it a lot to spend when I tend not to bother with magic at all in games of 1000 points or under. Also she has the chance to cast three treesingings a turn. I'd expect her to maybe get one off a turn against a basic magic defence. Again not a great return for such a large investment. That's just IMHO of course.

Kahadras

AngelsPurgatos
14-10-2008, 00:42
I'd consider a branchwraith in 1k because they are great all-rounder heroes. If you need DD, they can provide two. If you need combat potential, they have T4, 3 Str 4 attacks, good stat line, 5+ ward, and can take some nasty spites. Plus, they are cheap. If you aren't interested in spending more than 90 points on heroes, take a basic wraith with one spite...
-cluster of radiance for magic
-murder of spites or AoN for combat
-Shrikes for sniping ability

As for the rest of the list, I like a person who brings a lot of core to the table. With WE it isn't asking much because our troops are great. Your original set up is fine with me, you seem to have most of the bases covered...
-shooting: you have plenty
-combat: I'd recommend 2 units of 8-9 dryads rather than the one, but you are probably just using the battalion as a starting point. If that is the case, 12 is fine.
-baiting: your riders and scouts will fill this role nicely
-magic defense: either the singer or a wraith should protect you from most stuff at 1k

I'd take out the banner in favor of musicians in all your units. Also, I'd downsize the glade riders by 2 or 3 because 8 is just too expensive for such an easy to kill unit.

SilentTempest
14-10-2008, 11:35
Hmmm, interesting list. Certainly different, but let me offer a few suggestions:

1. Scouts aren't really ever worth the points, let alone at 1k. If you want marchblocking, take an Eagle. If you want shooting, stick with Glade Guard.

2. 12 Dryads seems a bit big to me. If you face lots of shooting/magic, fair enough, but Dryads are quite tough, and do a fair bit of damage per model, and you'll only get about 6 into the front of most blocks, which means you've got 6 doing nothing (unless you need that much ablative armour).

3. As another poster said, 8 Glade Riders can't really do anything that 5 or 6 can't, and costs more.

4. Wardancers are expensive at 1k. Not necessarily TOO expensive to take, but make sure you look after them. There are few units in the game that better epitomise the "glass hammer" cliche.

5. Your only realistic rank-negating flanking unit is your Glade Riders, who are pretty soft. The regulars here are probably getting sick of hearing it from me, but Wild Riders are so invaluable. Any serious 1k like I make has a unit of 5 of them, sometimes with a banner.

6. In terms of characters, I tend to take a standard alter noble and a spellsinger with 2 scrolls, because I like being able to control my opponent's magic phase a bit, and my dice are fickle when it comes to dispelling that MUST DISPEL spell. I know a lot of people rate a Branchwraith with Cluster of Radiants. I personally think it's a matter of taste, and don't really consider the 3 S4 attacks from the Branchwraith to be worth considering (c'mon, it's 1 more than a 12 point Dryad, even if it is at higher WS).

7. Never underestimate Dryads. They are so rock hard, and so useful as a multipurpose unit. They can do just about anything you want them to and even have about an even chance of taking on a block of light infantry with full +5CR and winning. And that's if they hit them in the front.

To give an idea (and you needn't emulate this if it doesn't appeal, of course), my "hard" 1k list is the following:

2 x 10 Glade Guard
2 x 8 Dryads
5 Glade Riders w/ musician
5 Wild Riders
Alter Noble w/ Greatweapon, shield, HoDA, HotH
Level 1 Spellsinger with 2 scrolls, just there as a caddy really.

(I may have missed/added little bits here and there, it's been a while since I played this particular list)

Kahadras
14-10-2008, 20:56
I personally think it's a matter of taste, and don't really consider the 3 S4 attacks from the Branchwraith to be worth considering (c'mon, it's 1 more than a 12 point Dryad, even if it is at higher WS).

I think it's more the fact that it fills three elements of your army in one. It's a hero, isn't that bad in combat (especialy when part of a unit) and provides the extra DD that a wizard can. Therefore you can save a heck of a lot of points that would otherwise have gone on a Noble and Spellsinger combo. These points can then be shoved into buying an extra unit.

Kahadras

SilentTempest
15-10-2008, 12:46
Perhaps I should clarify a touch. I would consider a Branchwraith, mainly as a character that's a bit tougher than an elf while still providing an extra dispel die, but if I wasn't going to take one, the 3 S4 attacks wouldn't change my mind.

I tend to keep my mages hidden in trees and tend to use dryads quite... sacrificially (if it wasn't before, it's a word now!), so wouldn't put my Branchwraith in a Dryad unit. So it'd be hidden in the trees, exactly where my spellsinger would be. I can't remember the exact costs, but I think they're roughly similar, and at that point, I go the spellsinger who can take Scrolls.

Kahadras
15-10-2008, 14:57
I tend to keep my mages hidden in trees and tend to use dryads quite... sacrificially (if it wasn't before, it's a word now!), so wouldn't put my Branchwraith in a Dryad unit. So it'd be hidden in the trees, exactly where my spellsinger would be. I can't remember the exact costs, but I think they're roughly similar, and at that point, I go the spellsinger who can take Scrolls.

Branchwraith works out as exactly the same points as a Spellsinger if they take A Cluster of Radients. Personaly though I feel a Spellsinger with dispel scrolls is a waste in 1000 points. It's a lot of points to have sunk into a unit which may end up squaring off against another level one wizard with a couple of dispel scrolls. It's over 100 points for a Spellsinger with a dispel scroll. That's a tenth of the total points cost of the army. Personaly I'd rather spend my points on a single hero and then move on and invest the rest of my points in units.

Kahadras