PDA

View Full Version : Help me finish off a 2000 pt TK army

eyeolas
12-10-2008, 20:03
I know just about what I'll want in my TK army, but am having issues deciding what niblly little units I need to make sure the army doesn't have issues with fully ranked, hard to kill units and artillery.

So far I'v written:

tomb king - spear of Antarhak, glden eye of Rah-Nutt, enchanted shield, light armour, chariot - 288

liche priest - cloak of the dunes, hieratic jar - 160

liche priest - staff of ravening - 160

liche priest - casket of souls, dispel scroll - 305

10 archers - 80

10 archers - 80

3 chariots - standard bearer, icon of the sacred eye - 190

4 chariots - standard bearer - 180

22 tomb guard - full command, banner of the undying legion - 319

screaming scull catapult - 90

This tallies at 1852, leaving 148 pts for flankers/artillery hunters. This is generally found as carrion, tomb scorpions and light cavalry.

I have up to 8 light cavalry from the army box, so they would be the most practical to use, but are they really worth it, since they can't march or flee, making them very bad at what they'll try to do (however fear causing, able to be raised and able to move 2ce does help them, along with being cheep, at 70 pts for 5).

3 carrion are also very cheep (72 pts), and the tactic of flying your liche priest into a relatively well secluded area to cast move again on them to get a 40" charge on the oponent's archers/war machines would be VERY nice, especially since they can really leave a mark on the relatively fragile chariots.

The scorpion (even though he's a little more expensive) will out combat the other two, but has the drawback of not being on the table until at least turn 2 (if at all!), so would give the opposed artillery 2 turns of shooting before they're ripped apart (at which point I'm in combat anyway usually)

the last option is a minimum sized chariot unit with standard to be used as a flanking unit. This would give me some very strong suport charging power, but would take the place of both the other two units I could take, and would leave me without carrion or a scorpion as true archer/war machine killers

What do you think?

BigbyWolf
12-10-2008, 20:15
Scorpions, definately worth their points if used right. Carrion are useful to, particulary for dealing with was machines that threaten the casket.

Makarion
12-10-2008, 23:08
I'd probably drop the standard off the chariot unit without the banner and add 2 scorpions, or a scorpion plus 3 carrion if you want the diversity. You'd not be wasting points by giving a steed to your non-flying liches, either.

Laurela
13-10-2008, 00:34
I def. wouldn't use the light horsies, Scorpions are definitely the best option of the three you've listed imo. I've used 1 in every game since starting TK and they will definitely do the role you're needing done.

PopeAlexanderVI
13-10-2008, 03:34
Light cav really suck.

I think getting 2 scorpions is really your best choice, you don't need to burrow one (or either of them) if you don't want to. They're a good choice for flanking and for character hunting. Carrion isn't a bad idea either but my personal preference is the scorpion.

eyeolas
13-10-2008, 11:51
Just for the record, scorpions cannot ignore ranks so aren't the best flankers except for a bit of combat boost.

Why the hate on fast cavalry? usely fear causing, move again cavalry can't be all bad?

BigbyWolf
13-10-2008, 12:14
Just for the record, scorpions cannot ignore ranks so aren't the best flankers except for a bit of combat boost.

If you have more than 1 flanking the same unit can they ignore ranks?

Countblah
13-10-2008, 18:23
Yes 2 scorpions will negate ranks and flank a unit. Above unit strength 5 if im right.

I would also use 2 scorpions, only use one with ICFB. Just to harass warmachine and go wizard hunting. Your opponent will keep himself busy with that one. Dont go charging in on any big units though even when there is a tempting weak character in it. You will lose the scorp in a hart beat.

Form the archers up in one big unit. Try to add a banner and you got yourself a nice block unit to protect the casket. Shooting with undead is useless in my opinion (except with the incantation) When you got yourself one unit it will only cost you one incantation a turn.

eyeolas
13-10-2008, 20:16
From the BRB, on the combat modifiers chart under extra rank:

"The bonus is lost if the unit is fighting to its flank or rear against an enemy unit with a unit strength of 5 or more"

This (to me at least) implies that a single unit in the flank/rear must have US 5 to ignore ranks, and you cannot count 2 seperate units' USs together to try and make 5+