PDA

View Full Version : tried a thorgrim list... didn't work AT ALL!

dwarfhold13
13-10-2008, 14:09
thorgrim himself is awesome.. but 2 of the 3 games at the tourney, he was killed.. not by overrun.. but actually whittled down to no wounds..
the tourney was 2500 pts and i brought:
thorgrim grudgebearer
runesmith - great weapon, rune of balance, and a "scroll"

3 units of thunderers with shields

19 warriors w/ greatweapons full command
20 longbeards w/ handweapon and shield

grudgethrower w/ rune of accuracy
cannon

12 iron breakers (thorgrims unit)

gyrocopter
organ gun

anyway.. the missions for the games were all based on movement, so i just didn't even try.. first game was against an ogre rhinox army that just destroyed me.. he was to me in turn 2 and then there was just nothing i could do.. failed my leadership roll on one side and lost my longbeards.. eventually he had thorgrims unit surrounded and killed off the ironbreakers.. then finally 2-3 wounds a turn killed thorgrim.. but in all that.. thorgrim killed off 3 rhinox riders, a giant, and 2 or 3 ogre ironguts and wounded a butcher

2nd game was against a friend borrowing an army for the tourney.. but again.. ogres.. it was the scrag list with 6 gorgers.. we ended up in a draw because he actually managed to hold a hill with a unit of knoblar that refused to go away.. but i ended up beating him by almost 300 pts..

3rd game was against skaven and it just was sour... in the 5th turn i was 1 wound and 5 1/2 inches away from getting thorgrim off the back edge and saving myself the game by a few hundred pts.. but his ******* lightning cannon put 4 wounds on thorgrim in one turn.. so on a 4+ the game ended when thorgrim caught a bullet from one of the ratling snipers... boo hiss!!!

anyway.. anyone else have any experience with this honcho?
Jon

Lennart.nevanoja
13-10-2008, 14:35
hello,
i have the same experience but i don't play thorgrim before at least 4000 p on a tourney you don't want a really expensive model like that because it cost to much for what it can do and the model count is very poor. You need allot of dwarfs and an anvil to play in a tourney IMO. Dwarfs need a gyrocoopter to be realy good to march block and just be a pain i the ass kind of. Thorgrim is just a nice fluffy model he dose not solve youre problem with movement and low modelcount he only enhance the weakness bye costing allot.

Cheers

Malorian
13-10-2008, 15:03
I've never used him, but he's that way I think special characters should be: powerful with neat abilities, but not an insanely obvious choice for his points.

Keep in mind that special characters like the Dwarf High King should be saved for larger games : )

GrandReaper
14-10-2008, 03:05
I'm quite surprised you lost him as many times as you did. However, calculate the victory points he killed from the OK army first game - INSANE! Bad draw, I guess, with the Rhinox army and Skaven shooty army. Thorgrim scares the life out of me (well, he would if I didn't just dance around him all game). Tough as nails, just not much faster!

Braad
14-10-2008, 07:28
I haven't seen this guy ever on the field. But if I see your army, I'm not surprised at certain of your losses. In 2500 points only 3 blocks of CC units? Indeed, a 2nd turn charge by rhinoxes would be nearly unstoppable for you.

Thing is, special characters are good, but not invulnerable. If enough firepower/hittinpgpower is directed at them, they still can die. And if someone has the right stuff to do that, and also actually does it, then you got a problem. Classic lots of eggs in one basket situation, where someone is sneaky enough to tackle the easterbunny...

Urgat
14-10-2008, 08:49
Reading that, it really doesn't sound like it doesn't work, it just appears to be, dunno, normal battle results. As you say yourself, it's just one wound at the worst time that lost you the draw, or stubborn gnobblars. Means the guy in front wasn't any better off.

W0lf
14-10-2008, 17:41
the army list is aweful.

3 combat units at that point limit? most armys would have a fun time with that.

theunwantedbeing
14-10-2008, 17:47
Sounds like you just face horrible armies that your not so great list struggles with. Rather than any actual problem with Thorgrim.
That and luck for your opponent and lack of luck for you makes things seem very rubbish on your side when they really arent.