PDA

View Full Version : 2250 pts Dogs of War

Hakkapelli
13-10-2008, 19:06
After growing tired of the pyjamasclad empire state troopers I decided to restart one of my old armies, the Dogs of War. However my old list had some serious problems with scoring better then a draw against most opponents, a problem that I hope you'll help me steer clear of this time.

Edited

Lords & Heroes

Merchenary General: Sword of might, heavy armour, shield, rides barded warhorse - - - 140 pts
Goes with the pikemen

Paymaster: brace of pistols, heavy armour, shield, rides barded warhorse - - - 89 pts
hides in the rear, somewhere within 12" of the pikemen and Republican Guard

Hireling Wizard: level 2, 2 dispel scrolls - - - 145 pts

Hireling Wizard: level 2, staff of sorcery - - - 145 pts

Core

Pikemen: 20 pikemen, full command - - - 230 pts

Ricco's Republican Guard: 'Ragged' Ricco, 19 pikemen, standard, musician - - - 300 pts

Heavy Cavalry: 6 Heavy cavalry, standard, champion - - - 144 pts

Voland's Venator: Voland, 5 Venators, standard, musician- - - 219 pts

Light Cavalry: 5 Light Cavalry, bows, musician - - - 90 pts

Crossbowmen: 10 crossbowmen - - - 80 pts

Crossbowmen: 10 crossbowmen - - - 80 pts

Duellists: 8 duellists, pistols

Special

Long Drong's Slayer Pirates: Long Drong, 14 slayers, standard, musician - - - 219 pts

Ogre Leadbelchers: 2 Leadbelchers - - - 110 pts

Halflings: 11 Halflings

Rare

Cannon - - - 85 pts

Total : 2250 pts

Hated to drop the birdmen but I think I had to. Used the points to fit in Bagratouni's Lancers (Voland's Venators). Didn't want another of the famous RoR but were told I needed the hitting power.
Result:Meet Boyar Gagrik Bagroutoni and his merchenary Kislev Gryffon Legioneers, now riding barded warhorses since they grew tired of loosing so many horses to arrow fire.

RossS
13-10-2008, 20:40
I know you probably spent a fortune buying the models for this unit, but the Birdmen really must go. They are one of the worst ROR choices available. On the upside, that gives us a considerable amount of points to play with.

I tend to take two units of duellists, and sometimes more. They are probably the best of the DOW core choices, and are needed to either secure the flanks of the cumbersome pike units, or to shield them from shooting.

I think that the list needs more hitting power. The pikes are best to pin down the enemy, but they are utterly incapable of breaking them on their own. Perhaps we can use some available points from the Birdmen and convert one unit of heavy cavalry to Voland's Venators. I know that every DOW player uses them, but they really are worth their weight in gold.

I'm not sure about the Leadbelchers. I have never used them myself, but I haven't heard good things. My main problem with your unit is that it is really small. Two models isn't enough for an Ogre unit, in my opinion.

LION
13-10-2008, 21:36
:)They say Pictures are worth a thousand words....

46788 46789

(1) I agree on an upgrade of Volands Venators in place of The sadly terrible Bird Men (love Voland see my thread). An 8 strong unit is best, but the min 5 still pack a punch.

(2) I think your correct to field a two Ogre LeadBelcher unit. I use one on my Dogs Of War flank. They have blasted many light cav units to pieces and while both are alive give you a cheap fear causing unit for flank charges that disapates rank bonuses. Upgrade one to ThunderFist for 1+ attacks at 10points (see mine in Thread). The Cannons can misfire, but unit self suicide is more likely with larger groups. I realy love this unit.

(3) If you field Long Drong ...he has to have more Pirates with him. Its a great unit at 20+ models. A poor one at 10.

(4) I would drop a Unit of CrossBowmen and replace them with a 15 strong MarksMen Of Milanio. Another Regiment of Renown, they will give you not just extra BS 4 crossbow punch, but another reasonable Hero for C&C.

:(To pay for the changes....Drop the Birds....Drop a unit of ten Crossbows and BIG Breath your regular Pike Block. Pikes are great, but WS3 pikes arent great enough. I also feel your list would have a better chance with one big pike block at its centre flanked by a large unbreakable SlayerPirate Block. Riccos boys could be further supported by the odd charge from the Marksmen. Good luck with what ever models you go for LION

------------------------------------------------
Lions Weekly Bits Box Blitz Sponsored by Elf Glue
http://warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=165087 (http://warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=165087)

Hakkapelli
14-10-2008, 13:14
(1) I agree on an upgrade of Volands Venators in place of The sadly terrible Bird Men (love Voland see my thread). An 8 strong unit is best, but the min 5 still pack a punch.

Ok, drop birds, add voland with drinking buddies, was hoping I could avoid them since everyone seemes to use them

I know you probably spent a fortune buying the models for this unit.
Fortunatly not, my local store had them in the "old and unwanted" box. I really like daddallo and his madmen but if they are so terrible i suppose they have to go.:(

(3) If you field Long Drong ...he has to have more Pirates with him. Its a great unit at 20+ models. A poor one at 10.

will try to squeeze in a few more pirates

(4) I would drop a Unit of CrossBowmen and replace them with a 15 strong MarksMen Of Milanio. Another Regiment of Renown, they will give you not just extra BS 4 crossbow punch, but another reasonable Hero for C&C.

but do I really need a CC hero and a banner for my shooting unit? Some people seems to think that this is awesome, others that it is a horrible waste of points.

:(To pay for the changes....Drop the Birds....Drop a unit of ten Crossbows and BIG Breath your regular Pike Block. Pikes are great, but WS3 pikes arent great enough. I also feel your list would have a better chance with one big pike block at its centre flanked by a large unbreakable SlayerPirate Block. Riccos boys could be further supported by the odd charge from the Marksmen. Good luck with what ever models you go for

I really think I need more then one pike block. With only one main unit I'd feel very vurnerable to shooting and magic. Not to mention terror causing stuff.

Hakkapelli
14-10-2008, 17:03
Sorry for the double post. Just wanted to say that I've updated the army list in the first post. Those venators REALLY demands high wages. My paymaster had a hard time affording anything more after hireing them

RossS
14-10-2008, 20:50
I would agree that a second pike unit should be dropped. I would keep Ricco's (and increase them to 25) and increase the size of the Slayer Pirates to 20+. These two big, tough units should be able to anchor your battleline and hold the enemy in position, so that Voland's and the other hard units can administer the coup de grace. You are right to fear missile fire, though. Both Ricco's and the Slayers could easily be wittled down by arrows, bolts and bullets. I would buy another smallish unt of duellists to protect these units from incoming fire.

Don't ever buy the Marksmen. The last things a missile unit needs is light armor, a standard and a weedy (but expensive) combat hero.