PDA

View Full Version : Pit of Shade question

dreamforge
14-10-2008, 09:42
what if i cast a pit of shade on a cannon or war-machineor of any kind ?
will the cannon auto fail its test ? (on the rule book ... all model with characteristic 0 would auto fail their characteristic test)
or it will be using the crew man I ?
What about casting a PoS on TK Skull Catapult ?
(since the template couldn't cover the whole model....)
do i need get a 4+ in order to hit it ?

Gazak Blacktoof
14-10-2008, 10:43
The war machine is a separate model to the crew (unlike chariots or characters riding monsters) so it must use its own initiative value of zero to test, as you pointed out this guarantees it will auto fail. The exception to this general rule is the steam tank which can only be injured by spells with a strength value, PoS has no strength value so its effects are ignored- this is also covered in the FAQ.

Models only partially under the template are hit on a 4+ as noted in the spell's rules.

Nighthawke
14-10-2008, 10:47
i would of said you cannot hurt the machine only the crew
due to the fact the machine has no I
not one of 0
so you cant testfor it

theunwantedbeing
14-10-2008, 10:50
The machine has no initiutive value, so its value is treated as zero.
BrB,Page 5
Characteristics of 0

Every single time I cast pit of shades on a war machine I end up having to go through the same routine of explaining to my opponent that the machine dies while they complain loudly at me and then grumble about how unfair it is.

Logically speaking, the pit of shades is just a big hole in the ground that appears, things fall in..and then it disappears.
A war machine not being particularly agile and exceptionally poor at jumping out of the way of something is guaranteed to fall down any hole that appears beneath it. (except the steam tank who has a special rule)

T10
14-10-2008, 10:50
The artillery piece effectively has an Initiative of 0, so it fails the test automatically.

-T10

Nighthawke
14-10-2008, 10:51
so why dosnt it work on a steam tank?
guessing its in a faq somewhere?

Gazak Blacktoof
14-10-2008, 10:52
I've already explained that, yes its part of the steam tank rules and is clarified in the FAQ.