PDA

View Full Version : Would you consider this to be a 'gunline'?

Lordmonkey
14-10-2008, 10:40
1500pt dwarf army:

2 x 20 dwarf warriors, shields, fc.
15 longbeards, shields, fc.
Thane, great weapon
Runesmith, great weapon
12 thunderers, shields, standard, musician
2 x bolt throwers, both with engineers.
stone thrower, rune of penetrating, rune of 'change mifire to a 6' (cant remember the name)
gyrocopter
6 slayers, naked.

Would you consider this to be a 'gunline' dwarf army?

EndlessBug
14-10-2008, 11:09
3 war machines and a gyro with only 12 other missile troops? hell no!

a 'gunline' would in a dwarf's case be 20 thunderer/crossbows, 2 Organ guns (or Gyro's or flames) and 3 special war machine slots.

Lordsaradain
14-10-2008, 12:21
A gunline would have more quarrelers/thunderers IMO.

Frankly
14-10-2008, 13:08

lollll no way.

My thoughts on a gunline, is an army that wins with missile power alone. Armylists that clearly are going to get into combat after being supported by a strong shooting phase, aren't gunlines.

The dwarf armybook has no magic phase, a restricted movement phase and not alot of mobile support or support units as a whole, so the book leans towards using a strong supporting shooting phase to even things out alittle.

The other night I was using 8 B.throwers without complaints, because I was still getting into combat and winning/loosing games through combat phases. My army wasn't stagnating and/or moving away from combat, it was just using a strong shooting phase to get me good odds in combat, much like your army good like its going to do.

Urgat
14-10-2008, 13:33
Nah, that is no gunline.
Plus a gyrocopter is cool, I barely ever see one, so you even get props from me for this list :p

Danger Rat
14-10-2008, 17:47
It has 3 combat units in no way shape or form is this list a gunline! Needs more missile fire and war machines.

theunwantedbeing
14-10-2008, 17:53
4 war machines and 2 shooty units is generally a gunline at 2k.

Lennart.nevanoja
14-10-2008, 21:06
no it is not a gun line army by far, i had the same amount of shooting i my dwarf army. gun line armies are static armies that just depend on the dices to blow there opponent to bits before they clash with a shield wall, more gunpowder to the dwarfs if it is suppose to be a gun line army

Cheers

Laurela
14-10-2008, 22:14
nope, looks like a good balanced list. Nice to see a non-gunline dwarf army 8)

Kidjal
15-10-2008, 09:55
Doesn't even fight like a gunline, having seen the game in question. Just hyper efficient at shooting I think!

Is my empire list a gunline? No.. But I had a helblaster, helstorm, outriders and a cannon, in addition to my line regiments and stuff.

Just muderously good at causing shooting casualties.

w3rm
19-10-2008, 00:59
nope sorry. but at least this army wont lose you any friends at GW or your local club. everyone hates gunlines! there is a difference from being cheap and having a good shooting phase and your army is not cheap and is still good a shooting. Congratz! may i reccomend you take a runesmith or get shut down in your opponents magic phase

orkz222
19-10-2008, 11:08
1500pt dwarf army:

12 thunderers, shields, standard, musician
2 x bolt throwers, both with engineers.
stone thrower, rune of penetrating, rune of 'change mifire to a 6' (cant remember the name)
gyrocopter

Nope :)

message is too short <--edit

Dairym
19-10-2008, 11:49
3 fighting blocks? You'd have to lose at least two of those to be a real gunline (quarrelers rather than warriors).

Dragon Prince of Caledor
19-10-2008, 19:06
I hate playing with gunlines and my dwarf army has more missiles than that! Thus, it is not a gunline (according to me)

txamil
19-10-2008, 19:10
With VCs, Daemons, and even DEs, is there still anyone left that thinks gunlines are cheesy?

I can't remember the last time I heard a player grumble about a gunline.

Brimweave
19-10-2008, 22:15
Nope, not a gunline at all really. Dwarfs lack of magic and cavalry mean that they need more shooty units than most armies anyway as its one of thier main strengths. I normally have 2x units of 10 thunders/quallers, a organ gun and 2 bolt throwers and people don't see it as a gunline at my local gw.

kramplarv
19-10-2008, 22:23
30 thunderers, 2 bolters, 1 stone thrower,organ gun, gyrocopter, and an anvil... that looks more a gunline :D

SuperArchMegalon
20-10-2008, 03:48
My 1500 point list has:

10 quarrelers
2 Bolt Throwers
Cannon
Organ Gun
2 units of warriors
1 unit of hammerers

It's been called "too shooty" before, and I actually wanted to ask the same question as TC: is this true?

gerrymander61
20-10-2008, 05:03
Your army is fine, and if any army is allowed to be leaning towards "gunliney" (wtf?), it's dwarfs.

Elves All The Way
10-11-2008, 08:06
well i'm not a dwarf player but my friend is and a dwarven gunline is so bloody anoying! anyway the way i define a gunline is that there should only be one close combat unit per thousand points only to take out the strugglers so in a 2k battle you might have two unit or iron breakers or whatever and the rest should be ranged guys. my advise (i'm a high elf player so i might not be correct when i say this) is you should use a unit or two of pistolers or whatever there called that have str4 and is armour peircing.
what you want to do is thin out the majority of the army then when in range finish them off with the pistoller then if there are strugglers use you cc guys

p.s when i say use one cc per thousand points this isn't a rule it's just a guidline

Shamfrit
10-11-2008, 11:40
This isn't a gunline, not in the slightest. You've got an innacurate Lobba, and two bolt throwers, hardly suppression fire, and 4 combat units.

It's balanced enough on all accounts.

W0lf
10-11-2008, 12:01
Not at all thou it is one hell of a weird dwarf list...

kemmler
11-11-2008, 02:43
I used to run something like this. The first 3-4 turns were glorius, 5 and 6 were painful.

7 units of 10 handgunners with a hochland in each.
5 pistoliers with a marksman with a repeating pistol.
2 cannons, a mortar.
2 hellblasters.
One big unit of spearman in the middle with a handgunner detachment.
4 wizards with light, sometimes 3 with an engineer with a hochland.
The couple of tourneys i did play in, I got low comp scores, but it was fun.

DasKhorne
11-11-2008, 05:12
My WOC have more guns:D:D

Someone at my LGClub uses6 artillery peices 4 cannons, 2 organ guns and 3 units of 14 thunderers.

Now thats a gun line, but no body likes him so we kicked him out as he uses cheesy armies :D

Sidorio
11-11-2008, 06:02
i have faced gunlines. that sir is not one. thats more of a balanced list and rather typical for dwarves.