PDA

View Full Version : bad at fantasy, need help with wood elves

Mecha
14-10-2008, 11:12
so, ive tried a few other armies (dark elves and vc), and i wasnt really feeling those too much. the other day, determined to find a fantasy army that suited my playstyle (play dark eldar in 40k), i decided upon wood elves. fast, shooty, good at CC.

ive come up with two lists, and i'd like you guys' input before i commit to buying any more models.

list 1: loads of CC

spellweaver
calaingors stave
hagbane arrows
level 4
310 points

spellsinger
dispell scroll

dryad x14
branch nymph

dryad x14
branch nymph

dryad x14
branch nymph

glade guard x14
lords bowman

glade guard x14
lords bowman

glade guard x14
lords bowman

wild riders x5
full command

treeman

my other list is a bit more 'traditional' i guess

orion w/o dogs

wild riders x5
full command

wild riders x5
full command

wild riders x5
full command

glade guard x12
lords bowman

glade guard x12
lords bowman

glade guard x12

glade guard x12

spellsinger
level 2
dispell scroll x2

spellsinger
level 2
hagbane arrows

in this list, the spellsingers would be attached to the glade guard w/o the lords bowman.

any input would be much appreciated

OldMaster
14-10-2008, 11:35
Well, let me help you get started.

First of all, I should take a block or two of Glade Riders. Excellent troops - fast, reliable and can do some damage in combat. And your Wild Riders can't bait.

Second, Spellsingers and Spellweavers are fine, the Lore of Athel Loren is great, but I think you really should take a Noble or a Highborn. The Wood Elf magic items list is one of the best item lists in the game and some items there may just win you the game. And then there are Kindreds. The Alter Kindred can turn your Noble into a close combat beast, the Wild Kindred lets you put him into one fof your hittiest units... What about this combo: Wild Rider Noble on steed in a unit of 5 Wild Riders, with the Moonstone of the Hidden Ways. Let the enemy charge you when you are positioned in a wood, then, when you are charged, activate the stone and teleport to a handy position from where you can charge (a rear, most likely) the next turn.
Oh, and the Hail of Doom arrow is just so darned handy.

Also, consider Wardancers. They can do quite the damage and are fast enough.

lector#1
14-10-2008, 11:44
how do you feel about dragons?

my favorite combo for a wood elf general is

high born, dragon, stone of crystal mere helm of the hunt, hail of doom arrows, sword of might, light armor, shield.

it has awsome power ranged and combat and it can take a heap of damage....

you are making me think of running my wood elves army again D=

The Red Scourge
14-10-2008, 12:05
A few rules for building Wood Elf armies.

Never ever buy champions unless they shall accompany a character.

Dryads and War Dancers shouldn't be in units of more than 8 + musician

6 Wild Riders + standard and warbanner is just about the best you can get.

Alter noble + helm of the hunt, Hail of Doom Arrow, Light armor, great weapon, shield you'll love this guy.

And if you need more, then head over to Asrai.org for all your Wood Elf needs:)

Quintillius
16-10-2008, 19:22
stupid to give your spellweaver hagbane arrows she should be standing inside a wood and pumping out treesingings buy dryads in units of 8 and gg in units of 10 and yes oldmaster is right nobles own (alterkindred with light arm, shield, hail of doom arrows and helm of the hunt) in list one give the spellweaver the dispel scroll instead of the arrows and then give your spellsinger deepwood sphere and put him/her in the edge of the wood when he charges you either flee or you hold (only hold if he has annoyance of netlings and you can challenge ) (delete some champs to get points) and then ooops a lot of S5 hits bye knights