PDA

View Full Version : Need some advice with my Vampire Counts army

Sacred
14-10-2008, 12:34
Hi all, a friend and I have recently decided to start playing warhammer.

We have both bought the 50 battalion sets for Empire and Vampire Counts, in addition to this I have purchased Vlad von Carstien and my friend a Warrior Priest.

I'm not sure on point values or anything as weve hardly begun building and painting yet however I would like some advice on items, tactics etc etc that might help me win my first battle against him when ever it occurs.

Is it worth putting champions, standards and musicians in units such as zombies, skellys and ghouls? Or am I just handing victory points to my opponent?

Weve decided to play with a "what you see is what you get" kind of approach, so if my units have swords, they have swords/hand weapons etc. So should I be building my skellys with spears? Or sword and shield?

Am looking forward to any advice that can be given in order to help me create a well rounded army thats able to hold back and beat an empire army (based on the units available above).

Looking forward to your replies!

Thanks,
Sacred

Frankly
14-10-2008, 13:12
have a really good read through the book and think about what you really want your army to look like and play like.

For example, do you want a really strong magic feel to your army?

Or a strong combat armylist?

Or a Blood Dragon type armylist with alot of knight units?

Malorian
14-10-2008, 14:54
I'd say just play and start finding your own play style, but I don't want you to waste your money giving your troops weapons they shouldn't have.

The empire troops should be built as swordsmen and the skeletons should also be built as swordsmen.

As you get into bigger games the empire player might decide to go spears, but even then the swordmen built now will make good detachments. As for vampires, the troops aren't doing the killing most of the time and it's better to stay defensive so stick with the shields.

As far as commands go, all large units should have banners. Musicians are always good for empire, and even though you don't need them in undead armies, they are so cheap that it's not a bad buy. Champs is another issue that you will have to work out. I'd save the parts, play a few games, and then decide for yourself.

Sacred
14-10-2008, 20:20
have a really good read through the book and think about what you really want your army to look like and play like.

For example, do you want a really strong magic feel to your army?

Or a strong combat armylist?

Or a Blood Dragon type armylist with alot of knight units?

I'm not really sure right now, I would like to have a good mix of things to cover all bases. But since I'm going to be battling either Empire or Warriors of Chaos what would you recommend?

I'd say just play and start finding your own play style, but I don't want you to waste your money giving your troops weapons they shouldn't have.

The empire troops should be built as swordsmen and the skeletons should also be built as swordsmen.

As you get into bigger games the empire player might decide to go spears, but even then the swordmen built now will make good detachments. As for vampires, the troops aren't doing the killing most of the time and it's better to stay defensive so stick with the shields.

As far as commands go, all large units should have banners. Musicians are always good for empire, and even though you don't need them in undead armies, they are so cheap that it's not a bad buy. Champs is another issue that you will have to work out. I'd save the parts, play a few games, and then decide for yourself.

Looking at my units like zombies and skellys how do these actually win in close combat? Is it because their undead and cause fear?
Do you mean I should buy a banner for my larger units? Or stick with just a standard bearer without any magic items.

I just don't want to be handing victory points over to my enemy with zombies and skellys pretty much getting obliterated in combat.

Shamfrit
14-10-2008, 20:31
In Zombies don't bother with Standards or musicians, but always, always always include them in Skeletons, a champion too, in the unit that your Vampire will be in.

Musicians on Zombies can help fend off flankers or weak skirmishers that might want to try their luck, but generally, a unit of 20 should be used to 'tar-pit' (die, but hold up things.) so you can flank the charging unit and rip them apart.

Oh, and welcome to the hobby :D

Sacred
14-10-2008, 20:43
In Zombies don't bother with Standards or musicians, but always, always always include them in Skeletons, a champion too, in the unit that your Vampire will be in.

Musicians on Zombies can help fend off flankers or weak skirmishers that might want to try their luck, but generally, a unit of 20 should be used to 'tar-pit' (die, but hold up things.) so you can flank the charging unit and rip them apart.

Oh, and welcome to the hobby :D

I was wondering what the point in zombies was but I see what you mean about just using them to tie up things.

How do I best deal with my opponents cavalry, cannon and ranged units?

Spirit
15-10-2008, 00:42
Use spell number one to raise a unit of 50 victory points in front of the enemies nastiest combat unit, angle it slightly so that when they charge the zombies (which they must do in order to not spend 3 turns moving round them) and overrun, they will be led away from the battle line.

This tactic when perfected makes it VERY easy to expose a flank of a unit.

If you charge a unit in the flank with just about any of your ranked up units, you will probably win.

Vampires rely on magic to try and get at least 2 spellcasters into even lower points games, and take vampires over necromancers whenever possible. Although necromancers have their merits, they are very easily killed and hard to use when learning the game.

VC Doke
15-10-2008, 02:21
I've seen a lot of good responses. I always harp on taking musicians in every army - including undead. If you tie a small enemy unit and they don't have a musician, that makes the difference between continuing another round of combat and making them autobreak from fear.

TAKE MUSICIANS PEOPLE.

treben1234
16-10-2008, 04:01
yes take MUSICIANS.
fill out all your hero choices. They are what makes the army work.
Read through the fourms there is some good stuff still up.

Zombies can fill up a cheap core choice and make a good meat (rotten) shield.

Unless you are makeing a throw away unit give them full comman. Also zombies are always a throw away unit.

Heres a great combo 7 black knights with bard and double unit strength banner.

Fell bats are great and if your not straped for cash you could use Carrions from the tomb kings as a good subsatoot. dont buy spirt hosts make your own.

If price bothers you for Blood knights use Britian knights or choas knights. Thoe For points cost blood knights are not that exspenive. (4 mars pattern sentianls for impreal guard, are made of plastic and cost 120 for 180 points. giving them upgrades is uslly a waste, 5 blood knights cost 110 dollors and are worth 325 points. Upgrade are acully usefull.)

you can raise your champian over and over agian so if you dont like a hero in the unit your fighting keep your oppents hero fighting the champ.

Nothen like getting Karl Frozen on a Griffen killing the same skeleton over and over and over agian.