PDA

View Full Version : Red Scorpion's CODEX

Terminator jax
14-10-2008, 15:25
This is my first thread. Ive recently started collecting a Red Scorpions army and i have noticed there are alot of RS players out there, so i thought i would try and create a codex for the Red Scorpions Chapter with the help of some fellow RS players. Any information you have on the Red Scorpions will be greatly appreciated, (even if we had it already).

Within the codex we will aim to include:

Information on Red Scorpions Chapter
Information on the Red Scorpions territory
RS Special Characters
RS Unique Units
RS Chapter Structure
Inquisition Notes on the RS

Terminator jax
14-10-2008, 15:44
Update No. 1

In this update im going to introduce you to the Red Scorpions Special Characters.

First up:
Commander Carab Culln:
Commander Culln is primarily the same as any other space marine commander. He will often choose to lead a squad of Red Scourge marines into battle, and when he does. Culln wears the Red Scourge armor and carries, a relic blade, and a semi-mastercrafted stormbolter. He can be choose to wear Vanguard Veteran armour instead of his Red Scourge (termy) armour.
Cost: 190

Secondly:
Chaplain Argosos Noration:
Noration is the same as a normal chaplain apart from his rare special attack. He arms himself with a Crozius arcanum, a plasma gun, a power sword, and a rosarius. He does however, from his special attack, receive one extra attack in close combat, which may be taken only once per battle. This attack is a deadly acid spit. His acidic glands are the most powerful to date of any marine, and thus, the only ones capable of doing harm in a battle situation. Though it takes him all day to muster enough acid to make a succesful spit, when he decides to do so it is an automatic strength 4 hit with a -1 save modifier. Other marines, of any chapter are immune to this, including chaos marines.
Cost: 150 points.

Thirdly:
Standard Bearer Alarion Zionate:
This standard bearer was to be the leader of his nomadic tribe, but was drafted as a marine initiate. Therefore he wears the ritual helmet of his tribe, a horned helm. He is allways accompanied by his two servants/bodyguards, who are vetran marine seargents. He usually fights with a power axe. He may take additional wargear, as may his servants. The three are considered to be one character for victory points calculations, and must remain within 2 inches of each other.
Total cost for Alarion and 2 servants/bodyguards: 120 points

Forthly:
Apothecary Ramses Telach:
This is a standard apothecary in all respects but one. He is extremely adept at his art of surgery on the battlefield, and thus may re-roll any failed attempt on a patient only once(per patient).
Cost: 50 points

They are the main 4 characters, i will be adding more in the future like; commander Valo, and many more...

Lord Malorne
14-10-2008, 15:48
You needed to post this in the rules develpoment section :), a mod will eventualy do so.

Looks ok to me.

Terminator jax
14-10-2008, 15:59
You needed to post this in the rules develpoment section , a mod will eventualy do so.

Woops and kk thanks for telling me.:)

Sephiroth
14-10-2008, 16:15
Reading the character descriptions... aren't these from 2nd edition, with the mention of Wargear cards? They seem a bit out of date to me.

Terminator jax
14-10-2008, 16:18
Along with the Red Scorpions Special Characters they also have some unique units

First of which are the 9th company units which are stationed in the red scorpion's battle barge, Auel’s bane under the control of 9th company commander Valo. Each squad is a 5man unit with a unique colour scheme as seen in the attachment. They are deployed by the RS commanders to hunt down fleeing enemies and to assisst were the RS line is looking the weakest.

The Red Scorpions have perhaps the largest selection of dreadnaughts and vehicles allowed to any marine chapter. They can field just about any Imperial vehicle, or support weapon, provided that at least one vehicle on the field is a conversion of some sort. (such as a rhino with a bulldozer blade).

Two of the most infamous vehicles of the Red Scorpions are the Gorgon and the Red Destroyer.

The gorgon is a modification on the imperial gorgon, though not based on it. A rhino hull is converted to an open top, then a bulldozer blade is fitted to the front. A small turret is placed on top, most often mounted with a pair of heavy plasma guns that will fire every other round at maximal power. Often a Hunter Killer Missile is also mounted to the vehicle to add to it's destructive potential, as is additional armor.

Points cost: 220 points.

The Red Destroyer is a modification on the older Imperial Dreadnaught. It has been refitted with two large power claws, and a tail. The tail is swept over the head, and is armed with a las-cannon. This Dreadnaught is primarily used in close combat, to tear through enemy lines.

Cost: same as close assault dreadnaught. Powerclaws act same as powerclaws on ork dreadnaught.

Terminator jax
14-10-2008, 16:26
Reading the character descriptions... aren't these from 2nd edition, with the mention of Wargear cards? They seem a bit out of date to me.

Thanks for that, thats one of the reasons im doing the CODEX as a thread because im getting this information from different scources, and i miss out the odd points like that, thanks:D

Terminator jax
16-10-2008, 14:53
Ive been looking around on the web to find some information about the RS homeworld and ive found 2 different planets:

Telron Beta (rocky planet) and Zaebus Minoris (arid planet)

So ill let you guys choose what Planet their homeworld should be.

Col. Dash
16-10-2008, 15:15
Well not to douse your enthuisiasm, but much of this has been covered by saaaay forge world.
Commander Cullin is not a psyker and has a bunch of cool gear including an iron halo in his termy armor, a relic blade, and a semi-mastercrafted stormbolter. He also costs significantly more than 110.
Other than fluff which is cool, they are extremely codex in nature and do not deviate from it at all, except... they are extremely limited in scouts due to the very stringent purity tests they must pass.
I agree with the above poster as well, your descriptions sound vaguely 2nd edition

Unclejo
16-10-2008, 15:17
http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Red_Scorpions

For a Chapter that is incredibly xenophobic, obsessed with purity and which follows the Codex, they seem to have some pretty whacked out vehicles. Is there a reason for this?

Col. Dash
16-10-2008, 16:53
Oh yeah, The only known vehicle varient is the Helios varient land raider. think I have the name right, I dont feel like going to the FW website and looking. It is basically a land raider with a whirlwind launcher.
Carab Cullin is commander of the 1st company, not the chapter master (High Lord Commander) although it is rumored that he will succeed the current CM.

Terminator jax
16-10-2008, 18:50
Well not to douse your enthuisiasm, but much of this has been covered by saaaay forge world.
Commander Cullin is not a psyker and has a bunch of cool gear including an iron halo in his termy armor, a relic blade, and a semi-mastercrafted stormbolter. He also costs significantly more than 110.
Other than fluff which is cool, they are extremely codex in nature and do not deviate from it at all, except... they are extremely limited in scouts due to the very stringent purity tests they must pass.
Thx for the information Col.Dash like i said before i havent got the IA books so i dont know what FW has written about them, When the book is finished its going to help people like me who dont know much about the RS and will help them in there choice wether to collect them or not.

2 questions i need answers for:
Would my avatar be a good CODEX RS cover image???
Which planet should be the RS homeworld ???:
Telron Beta (rocky)
Zaebus Minoris (arid)

malika
16-10-2008, 19:03
Standard Bearer Alarion Zionate:
Hmm, was he the tribe leader of a tribe of children like "Lord of the Flies" or was he simply a child leading a tribe? Because...well unless the Red Scorpions are an exception, Space Marines tend to recruit children into their chapter.

Terminator jax
16-10-2008, 19:08
Had a bit of spare time so i thought i would post some information on the personalities of the red scorpions.
Personalities:

The Red Scorpions are characterized by their extreme traditionalism, unyielding devotion to the Codex, and their hatred of abhumans and other mutants and anything deviating from the pure human form. They have a fanatical belief in their own purity and this has led to the chapter's isolationism. They do not venerate any Primarch above any other, preferring only to venerate the Emperor. As a chapter, they are extremely xenophobic; they will not serve alongside abhumans, and due to the Imperial Guard's willingness to allow abhumans in their ranks, they view them as inferior and untrustworthy. The Chapter is noted for the purity of geneseed tithes which is heavily tied to its fanatical belief in purity, in deed and thought as well as physically.
Recruits are drawn from Zaebus Minoris/Telron Beta, inhabited by primitive tribes of humans. The tribes' traditions tie into the recruitment process of the Chapter. Male infants are presented to the tribes' temple at the first full moon of its life. A few are taken by the "gods" - selected, after genetic testing, by Chapter Apothecaries as potential future Marines. Because these recruits will have had no experience with their parent culture, the Chapter is all the recruit will know.

Terminator jax
16-10-2008, 19:12
Hmm, was he the tribe leader of a tribe of children like "Lord of the Flies" or was he simply a child leading a tribe? Because...well unless the Red Scorpions are an exception, Space Marines tend to recruit children into their chapter.

He was recruited as a child but his father was the leader of a tribe so he was next in line.

t-tauri
16-10-2008, 19:14
Off we go to rules development.

Most of this is covered in the Forgeworld sources which makes a point that most of the chapter's background is shrouded in secrecy.

Terminator jax
16-10-2008, 19:22
The fact that most of the chapter's background is shrouded in secrecy makes it harder to create a CODEX for the red scorpion, but im not giving up. Ill make it up find information from sources or fill the book up with pictures of:
Sample armies
Painting tutorials
Conversion ideas
Inquisitor's notes/reports on the RS

Terminator jax
25-10-2008, 17:36
The Red Scorpions are known for their ferocity in combat. Primarily in hand to hand, and in the use of vehicles. They are also insane speed demons.
The Red Scorpions love to use anything that will give them a speed advantage over their opponent. Often they use bikes, and jump packs to flash into hand to hand combat before the enemy knows what hits them. The Red Scorpions will also use Land Speeders whenever possible due to thier quick acceleration, and offensive capabilities.

The Red Scorpions show a extreme preference for hand to hand combat, and will allways have a large portion of thier army dedicated to close combat. Any Red Scorpion army must contain at least 30% close assault troops, or characters primarily suited for hand to hand combat. Often Red Scorpions will field a squad of Fire Hawks as a devotional tribute to their brotherhood, and these troops are not considered allies, but merely a portion of their squads. Often Red Scorpions will field dreadnaughts or strangely converted tanks and land raiders to assist them in battle. Most often speed is a major factor in thier attacks, so quick moving vehicles are preferred over all else.

Terminator jax
30-10-2008, 10:27
Hi Everyone i just made the page about the Red Scorpions Pursuit Squads let me know what you think.

Lord General Laumnem
30-10-2008, 11:28
All sounds pretty cool.

maddog7558
02-11-2008, 14:21
not bad work there jax u have been busy . i to am a RS collector

BigRob
02-11-2008, 22:25
Hello,

just wondering where this is going? Is it a bringing together of fluff from all sources or your own stuff because some fo it sounds very different from what has been said about the Red Scorpions in other places. The idea that they are some kind of Speed deamons sounds a bit unlikely for a rigidly codex chapter (maybe something more for the WhiteScars), equally for a chapter that reveres purity in geneseed, a chaplain with overactive poison glands is going to be considered with extreme suspicion.

Just seems like your making up your own stuff for a chapter, which is cool, but then calling it the Red Scorpions despiet the fact they allready exist and have thier own fluff/rules.

Terminator jax
05-11-2008, 17:35
Thats a fair point BigRob but at the moment it is a bringing together of fluff from differnt sources:
The speed deamons part is so they can get to the enemy and get stuck in with closequater combat as soon as possible.
The overactive poison gland is just a small mutation in the chapters gene seed.

The only stuff i have made up so far is for the pursuits squads of the 9th company.

BigRob
05-11-2008, 18:56
Thats a fair point BigRob but at the moment it is a bringing together of fluff from differnt sources:
The speed deamons part is so they can get to the enemy and get stuck in with closequater combat as soon as possible.
The overactive poison gland is just a small mutation in the chapters gene seed.

The only stuff i have made up so far is for the pursuits squads of the 9th company.

But why do they want to get "stuck in" as quickly as possible. That seems to be almost a Blood Angel mentality. The fluff around for them at the moment doesnt fit in with this. The pursuit squads thing is from Rogue Trader, when Space Marines were very different in thier operating methods and rules.
As for the bite being a small geneseed mutation, again the "official" fluff constantly reinforces the purity of the geneseed and how it has no mutations at all. There's even a bit about the samples handed to Mars for analysis are some of the purist given in by ANY chapter.

Its cool what your doing, we all make up fandexs etc but if your going to do one for an established race/army/unit and then make some major changes it doesn't work as well.

Terminator jax
08-11-2008, 20:36
Kk, what im planning on doing is getting/making enough information to fill a codex.
Then ill probably put it to a vote, for you guys, to what goes in the final CODEX.

Lord General Laumnem
08-11-2008, 21:51
Good Idea.

Terminator jax
11-12-2008, 17:04
I have came across this page with red scorpions vehicles on it showing what they are painted like.

If any of you have any information on the red scorpions please post it on this thread so it can be used by all other red scorpion players and anyone who wants to become a red scorpion player.

Xandros
11-12-2008, 18:16
This thread is, quite frankly, surreal. You appear to make up background as you go along and furthermore is using 2nd edition rules which - while not bad in itself - you appear oblivious to that fact.

I suggest you get IA: The Anphelion Project and the 2nd Siege of Vraks. As I recall they're described as an ultra-orthodox chapter that regards the Codex Astartes as a holy text and are quite paranoid about keeping their geneseed pure.

Terminator jax
11-12-2008, 19:00
Xandros, im new to this hobby and ive only just got the new space marine CODEX so i havent had that much time to read through the rules so ill admit that im not 100% sure what the differnt edition rules are.

Ill think about the imperial armour book but they cost like £40 and they've only got like 2-4 pages of red scorpions in them anway, well thats what ive heard anyway.

I have decided to stop using the website where im getting the information on the red scorpions from though because of everyone saying all the rules are out of date and people thinking im making up my own background information which im not! The only thing i have made up is the pursuit squads, which are just are differnt slightly versions of sternguard veterans.

Ill have a look around on the internet for more up to date information on the red scorpions and then continue from there.

Incase anyone whats to see the website i was using http://www.garbled.net/40k/red.scorpion.history.html there it is.

Meanwhile as always your; comments, critisism, input is greatly wanted.

Garoth
11-12-2008, 19:59
Well it is mentioned in the web page that you linked that all the material in there is purely fan made. The guy states it quite directly on the page:

""After the basic scheme of the old style armor however, everything else has been developed by me. Ive designed my own vehicle paint schemes, banners and history.""

All that has been created quite some time ago, during the time that the Red Scorpions were nothing but a name of a chapter amongst others. Only chapter colours, couple of characters and few details of the conflicts they participated in were given. As there was no further official background that time, the guy just made up his own.

The backstory by Forgeworld is very different from the one that guy made up.

Terminator jax
12-12-2008, 08:11
I know its fan made but there isnt much else out there on the internet, that i have found anyway. If you know any websites with red scorpions information on it please post it so i can use it.

Ive asked Valo if he will help with this Red Scorpions CODEX, and he said it was a good idea to create one and he would be glad to help, but he hasnt been on warseer in a while so we'll get more done when he gets back on.

BigRob
12-12-2008, 09:30
If your just going by someone elses fandex to provide background and details to your own fandex, why not pick another chapter, or even make up your own one.

What your doing is like someone taking the Ultramarines, writing thier new "Ultramarines Codex" and then rewriting all the rules and fluff based on the Blood Angels codex. Yes Commander Culln is in Rogue Trader fluff, yes back then there is a picture of a Red Scorpion Pursuit Squad, but that was 4 editions ago.

If your going to take a chapter that is reasonably popular at the moment, write rules and ideas based on something that is 100% opposite to the rules and details put out by GW people are going to question your motives.

You say there is no Red Scorpion rules on the web, this is because they are in the relevent rulebooks published by Forgeworld. The new codex spacemarines isn't all layed out on the web for you to browse either. If your interested in doing things with the Scorpions then buy the books. They are well worth it regardless of what you collect/play with.

You say your new to the game as well, is it really a good idea to start writing rules for a system your new to. Maybe play a few games for a few months, work with spacemarines, proxy different chapters and even got those IA books and play with the rules for the Red Scorpions.

Terminator jax
12-12-2008, 11:43
I'm going to put this project on hold until i have played for a few months, read through the new space marine CODEX, and gotten more up to date information on the Red Scorpions (which will not be fan made next time).

Everyone please add information about the Red Scorpions if you have any. And also anything you would want to see in the final CODEX.