PDA

View Full Version : Magic-heavy Tomb Kings 2000p

Autumnal Equinox
14-10-2008, 15:47
Hello everybody!

I was toying with the TK army book and decided that a lot of magic would be fun. I made a list with an abusive use of magic (or that is what I think, prove me wrong!).

TOMB KINGS 2000p

HERO

Tomb Prince 108 (GENERAL)
Great weapon 4
Light Armour 2
Shield 2

Liche High Priest 340
Cloak of the Dunes 20
Neferra's Plaques of Mighty Incantations 30
Golden Ankhra 45

Liche Priest 330
Dispel Scroll 25
Collar of Shapesh 25
Casket of Souls 165

Liche Priest 168
Staff of Ravening 45
Skeletal Steed 8

CORE

24 Skeleton Warriors 202
Hand weapons & Shields
Standard Bearer 10

10 Skeleton Warriors 80
Bows

Tomb Swarm 45

SPECIAL

3 Chariots 165
Standard Bearer 20
Banner of the Undying Legion 25

Tomb Scorpion 85

Tomb Scorpion 85

19 Tomb Guard 298
Full Command 30
Icon of Rakaph 40

RARE

Screaming Skull Catapult 90

TOTAL 1996

The points might be a little off.

Ymir
14-10-2008, 16:05
I usually run the same High Priest setup as you've done here, with one exception - you absolutely have to give him Neferra's Plaques of Mighty Incantations (so he can reroll all power level dices); it'll make him an absolute nightmare for the enemy. -That's- abusive. The hieratic jar will serve you just as well with another priest. You'll likely have to swap the staff of ravening for it, though, as it'll not be of much use with the Casket guy...I know it hurts.

Skulls of the foe are optitional, really - with so character-heavy a list, I would skip it in favor of more troops. That 20-man skeleton block could benefit from a few more hands, 25 is a good number. I also feel musician is pretty much worthless with Tomb Kings. Further; spears are no good at all, as the skeletons aren't there to do damage. With hand weapons, light armour and shields, they'll get 4+ save in close combat; which makes them -much- more survivable. That's a much better option, I'm afraid. Also, they need a standard.

(I've made the mistake myself of equipping 25 skeletons with spears...I -never- field them...)

Musician with the chariots? I think a standard will serve you much better, and The Banner of the Undying Legion is great if you want to draw even more dispel dice from the enemy.

I might even have tried to go a little lighter on characters by skipping the Flail of Skulls and fielding a vanilla prince with great weapon.

For some reason, I really like fielding ushabti in lists like this one. Maybe I feel that they otherwise lack the hitting power to tackle really hard targets, but you've got the tomb scorpions of course...it should be all right.

Autumnal Equinox
14-10-2008, 16:26
You'll likely have to swap the staff of ravening for it, though, as it'll not be of much use with the Casket guy...I know it hurts.
The Casket guy doesn't have the Staff. Am I misunderstanding something?

Further; spears are no good at all, as the skeletons aren't there to do damage. With hand weapons, light armour and shields, they'll get 4+ save in close combat
Great, I just finished my skeletons armed with spears... Back to building I guess.

Musician with the chariots? I think a standard will serve you much better, and The Banner of the Undying Legion is great if you want to draw even more dispel dice from the enemy.
That's been to my mind. Couldn't fit it there. I have to try them.

Well, after changing those things above, I have to get rid of 54 points. Any ideas?
edit: Replacing the Flail with a gw and removing the Skulls of the Foe will drop me below 2000p. Yay!

Makarion
14-10-2008, 22:08
The Banner of the Undying Legion is a bit of a no-brainer if you want to max out your magic phase, really. It's good in a wide variety of units, so take your pick.

Autumnal Equinox
15-10-2008, 11:27
Opening post edited. Any more ideas?

BigbyWolf
15-10-2008, 12:40
I'd keep the Skulls of the Foe, if I were you...very useful.

Autumnal Equinox
15-10-2008, 12:47
I'd keep the Skulls of the Foe, if I were you...very useful.
Yeah, but 20 points for a -1 Ld penalty.. It's much.

Autumnal Equinox
16-10-2008, 12:21
Well, is there anything to improve anymore?