PDA

View Full Version : Dealing with Flamers

Granitearm
14-10-2008, 18:38
So, I'm having a really rough time dealing with a maxed out unit of Flamers in my opponents army. They just seem to be good at everything!

Skirmishers, so they're hard to shoot.

They move fast, so they're hard to catch.

High Strength in combat, so they're fairly strong when you do catch them.

And they're shooting is too strong to ignore.

I'd like to collect as many different tactics for as many different armies as possible. It doesn't help to say "Hunt them with Knights" if someone's playing dwarfs!

So how do we deal with them?

theunwantedbeing
14-10-2008, 18:59
Shoot them a lot
Magic missles or things which dont roll to hit (stone thrower type things)
Knights

Harwammer
14-10-2008, 20:23
Do you have any organ guns? you could try strategically placing them so to create a bubble of flamer deterrant. I've no idea if this would be any good.

I imagine the Anvil of Cheese should do the trick too.

For your non dwarf armies magic missiles should work.

In summary scare them away from your important stuff by placement of auto-hit stuff such as magic missiles, etc.

Malorian
14-10-2008, 21:05
Dwarfs: Shoot them up. Organ guns are one of the best options.
Empire: Shoot them up, or charge them with your nice 1+ save knights.
Tombkings: Shoot them up, charge them and smash them with chariots, jump them and tire them down with a scorpian.
Highelves: Shoot them up, blast them with magic, and dragon princes are an autowin.
Dark elves: Shoot them up, and blast them with magic.

Lennart.nevanoja
14-10-2008, 21:19
the solution to the problem is simple but to do it it's another thing. just make them eat led or what ever just blast the darn things to where thy came from. another way of dealing with them is to restrict there movement, because they don't have great range with there shooting attacks but kill them is the permanent solution

Cheers

DeathlessDraich
15-10-2008, 08:59
1) Magic is the best way to destroy them.

2) Once reduced to 2 or so, they are ineffective in combat and any ranked up unit will defeat 2 Flamers in combat.

3) A single HE knight with Dragon armour will destroy them.

4) DE - use Chillwind on them.

Lordsaradain
15-10-2008, 09:51
Kill them with magic.

Templar_Victorious
15-10-2008, 11:14
Fight magic with magic, and if no magic is available, use anvil! Just a repeat of what is said. :D

warlord hack'a
15-10-2008, 13:14
chariots will work as well, anything with T5 and a bit of an armour save (dragons, chariots, wyvern).

doomdiver, mortar, rock lobber all will work as well.

Templar_Victorious
19-10-2008, 23:57
And don't forget the Helstorm Rocker Launcher.

Von Wibble
20-10-2008, 17:20
1) Magic is the best way to destroy them.

2) Once reduced to 2 or so, they are ineffective in combat and any ranked up unit will defeat 2 Flamers in combat.

3) A single HE knight with Dragon armour will destroy them.

4) DE - use Chillwind on them.

Point 3 goes wrong if the knight doesn't cause any wounds. Outnumber and fear... But I guess you mean a character.

Agreed, magic is good. Daemon magic defense is a relative weakness for them.
However, an enemy knowing this will take bluescribes so such an approach could be dangerous - how would you counter such a thing? I still advocate magic as the aproach but wonder the answer to this.

Chariots?? Vs flamer S+S? Only if they're chaos steed or boar pulled (or Lion, or cold one...you get the idea). A tiranoc chariot is destroyed before getting a chance. But yes, a boar chariot is a good idea. As long as it is backed up. On average I believe it wins by 1 in the round it charges and loses in later rounds without impact hits...

Template war machines also a bad idea. The opponent will have his models the full distance apart so you only hit maybe 2 models (1 of whom passes his ward). 1 wound from a machine hitting 1/3 of the time. Woot. Doom Diver however gets a special mention thanks to the fixed D6 hits.