PDA

View Full Version : bretonian army help

Gen.Ruckus
14-10-2008, 23:24
So I have an army I'm building, I'm new to the game, I have a lady on foot, two hero/lord models, 2 blocks of 20 men at arms with full command, 3 blocks of 10 archers, 12 knights of the realm with full command and a trebuchet, I was wondering what are good combos and squad sizes, along with arming the units, and what would be good to add to the army, all help is apreciated, thanks

theHandofGork
15-10-2008, 15:50
I'm not the best Bret player around, but I can offer a few basic suggestions.

1) Don't run 20 M@A units, either run several smaller units or beef one up to 30+. Don't expect them to do a lot besides be a distraction, help set up flanks, etc. Keep the full command.
2) Put the lady on foot in with the M@A to help with their leadership. Give her a couple of dispel scrolls as 3 dispel won't do a lot.
3) Run your archers in units of 10, make one skirmishing, and give all flaming arrows. Forget full command for these units, maybe just a musician.
4)You need a BSB to play a game (Brets always need one). Convert one of your lords to a BSB (and tool it up for combat res.) and run it with four of the KoR.
5)Run the Paladin with the other 8 KoR.

For the future- Buy more Knights.

Malorian
15-10-2008, 16:01
First decide how you want to run your army. Do you want to have a mix? Peasant heavy? Or knight heavy?

Then decide how you want to play? Are you playing for fun? Or do you want to crush your opponent?

If you want to crush your opponent send me a pm ; )

P.S. With the models you have I'd suggest playing peasant heavy and play for fun.

GuyLeCheval
15-10-2008, 20:27
Although this is my first post, I played Bretonnia for a while. If you buy another pack of knights, consider using this list:
Paladin+mount+lance+Virtue of knightley temper: 114
Bsb Paladin+mount+Warbanner+Virtue of Duty: 129 (+3 CR:evilgrin:)
Damsel+2 dispel scrolls: 120
40 man at arms+spears!+command 227
16 archers+musician+skirmish+braziers: 122
8 KoR+command+conquistadors tapestry: 241
8 KE+command+erranty banner 201
Trebuchet 90
Total: 1249

Stick your general with the Errant knights as he is a great leader to them.
Stick your Bsb pladin with the KoR. That's a storm of lances:evilgrin:
Stick your damsel with the man at arms for the leadership boost. Give her the lore of beasts first spell so she can actually fight at thheir sides good.
Launch your trebuchets on a concentration of enemies troops so after the scattering you'll hit something even if it wasn't that what you aimed for.

I hope I inspired you to many wins in the faith of the lady!
GuyLeCheval.

Gen.Ruckus
16-10-2008, 04:45
I do have a bsb model, as well as a the hero model with the axe, so run mu men at arms in a block of 30? And I like knights, I want a good mix of units, not too heavy in any area, I want it to be geared towards crushing the enemy, with a smile of course

sephiroth87
16-10-2008, 04:49
One unit of 20 skirmishing bowmen is worth 30 lined up. Beef up that skirmishing bowman unit, as they'll kill a lot more and get attacked less. Long live the peasant devastator squad!

Gen.Ruckus
16-10-2008, 10:51
Should I give those men at arms the spears or leave them haliberds? Also, keep them at 5 men across or expand them? Knighs should be 3 wide obviously

GuyLeCheval
16-10-2008, 14:10
I think spears are the best. Thats 13 attacks S3 if you put 6 man in the front rank. Halberds make 7 attacks S4.
But as the man-at-arms have WS2, you better have more attacks than stronger ones.;)

Helveticus
16-10-2008, 14:30
The thing to remember with Brets is- your peasants are goblins. Without the toys. If you have money to spend, look into picking up the Grail Reliquae, and 5 or so blisters of battle pilgrims. If you don't look into converting something up, and using your M@A for Battle pilgrims. Yes, pick up another box of knights-

Think about:

Duelist General- Paladin, lance, shield, Virtue of Confidence, Gauntlet of the Duel, maybe the enchanted shield instead.

BSB tooled up for combat res would probably look like BSB- Virtue of Duty, War banner. That's three static CR from your BSB.

A block of 7-9 Knights of the Realm, with full command.

A block of 7-9 Knights errant with full command and errantry banner.

The Grail Reliqaue (make this final Unit Strength somewhere around 20-25) As long as you're not outnumbered by Fear causers (hard to do at US25) you'll have your 5+ Ranged, 4+ close combat, and Blessing Ward Save. And the Reliquae ALWAYS gets its 4 attacks back. Unless it's dead. Also hard to do, at US25.

I also prefer one unit of 15+ skirmishing archers as opposed to 2 units of 10 ranked up.

I would NOT put the damsel in the M@A unit, you're just asking for her to be allocated against, challenged, or run down when they break.

Other things you'll eventually want to add, that will cost you a pretty penny. At 2K points eventually you'll want:

A mounted damsel. You stick her in the middle of your hammer lance for the MR.

3 Pegasus Knights. Command is optional here. PK to me aren't strong enough to take on Rank and file on their own, and have a surplus of strength for taking warmachines down.

Mounted Yeomen. A unit of these can challenge war machines on the flank opposite the Pegasus Knights, or perform march blocking/harassment roles.

Grail Knights. They're your preeminent hammer. They're basically one wound paladins. Point for Point possibly the best knights in the game. But they're not cheap. I don't think they're expensive either though :p

GuyLeCheval
16-10-2008, 15:33
Why not putting the damsel inside the Man-at-arms unit:eyebrows::confused:
If you aren't confinient (Im dutch so I don't know how to spell it) enough
of the fighting abilities of a WS3 (possibly 4) S5 T4 A4 the bears angers damsel, take the challenge with your unit champion and the ranks, banner and unit size will do the trick.:)

Helveticus
16-10-2008, 15:38
Because they're men at arms.
Their paltry WS, LD, and MV will lead to them taking the charge instead of giving it.

Because they're men at arms.
MR1 for your hammer knight unit is infinitely better than for some men at arms.

Because she's a damsel.
Her best use is usually MR, and Dispel dice. The Brets don't have enough bound items, or readily available musicians to go magic heavy effectively.

Gen.Ruckus
16-10-2008, 20:58
Ok, thanks for the help, I do like the whole knights feel to the army, but I love spear lines, like the movie 'troy' so long rows of men at arms would be cool, like 3 rows of 8 or 10, and lots of archers, blocks of them on a hill, shooting all day

Kalec
16-10-2008, 22:20
There is an army for that. Its called Empire.

Brets tend towards cavalry heavy with supporting infantry, Empire tends towards the opposite.

Helveticus
16-10-2008, 22:38
There is an army for that. Its called Empire.

Brets tend towards cavalry heavy with supporting infantry, Empire tends towards the opposite.

True enough, Brets tend to favor Kingdom of Heaven, while Empire tends to favor Troy with some Last of the Mohicans with Mortar, Cannon, and Handgunners as well.

Gen.Ruckus
16-10-2008, 22:54
Well the empire have the handgunners, which takes away the feel of troy's uh...arrows? Right..and prince hector had horses, so the brets feel more like that time, well to me anyways

Helveticus
16-10-2008, 23:01
Yeah, Empire does tend to straddle the border between longbows and gunpowder eras, whereas Brets are a more traditional knights, jousts, etc era.

One unit noone has given much info on for you yet, are Questing Knights. I'm on the fence on them... with the changes to mounted Great Weapons, they've lost a little of their punch, but I'm not quite ready to chuck them out the window yet. They would be much more of a support unit than a hammer unit now. A small unit supporting a larger lance might work, but I'm not sure they'd be worth it.

Kalec
16-10-2008, 23:58
Well the empire have the handgunners, which takes away the feel of troy's uh...arrows? Right..and prince hector had horses, so the brets feel more like that time, well to me anyways

Empire has cavalry too.

Besides, I don't recall any pegasus knights or grail reliquaes in Troy.

Gen.Ruckus
17-10-2008, 00:55
Well I never said I was going to use those units, I personally don't like the pegasus knights, or the relique

Grey_313
17-10-2008, 01:10
While I don't like the Reliquae, the Pegasus Knights don't seem to be too bad, I mean a basic unit of 3 gets 10 attacks on the charge, and they've got that nice T4 with 2 wounds. I doubt I'll ever use them(if I ever get to playing, that is....), but they'd be a nice fill-in unit if you're lending a unit of Knights or something to another player. The Grail Reliquae seems to be way too expensive, though kind of tough, but an equivalent strength in Men-at-Arms would be much better, and do alot more damage back to the enemy and absorb more.

Gen.Ruckus
17-10-2008, 03:56
No pegasus knights and no relique, I guess I'm leaning more towards a peasant army, with some knights but not over the top, maybe 2-3 squads of knights, so how many men at arms should I have in a formation?

GuyLeCheval
17-10-2008, 09:35
30-40 would be the best, as their only power is unit size.

Grey_313
17-10-2008, 14:31
From what I've seen/heard, it depends on their use. If you want them to be killing things, 30-40 as GuyLeCheval said. If you're looking for a unit to tie up the enemy for a small amount of time, or flee an enemy charge just before the Knights come flank charging the enemy, then 25 in a 5x5 formation.

Gen.Ruckus
17-10-2008, 17:20
So setting them up 6 models wide and 5 rows deep, ok, and have them all hold spears?

Grey_313
17-10-2008, 20:22
I'd say yes, then they can deal with the weaker enemy units, like skeletons and zombies.

Gen.Ruckus
18-10-2008, 04:00
I'm going to go with the blocks of 30 men, and with spears, should I arm some blocks of men with the haliberds?

GuyLeCheval
18-10-2008, 10:35
No, spears are, as I've said, generally the best choice. Even against T2 models the best choice is spears. (4 against 3 wounds)

Gen.Ruckus
19-10-2008, 04:07
Ok that sounds good, I'm sort of a noob when it comes to fantasy, I haven't played in 11 years, thanks for the help, and I like the +1 str for the haliberds but if the spears are better I like that, and spears are cool