PDA

View Full Version : Skaven rank bonus

fenrisnorth
15-10-2008, 06:39
My opponent and I just had a disagreement over the skaven strength in numbers rule and I was hoping someone here could help me out. I apologize if this question has been asked before, but a reading of the skaven FAQ and a scan of this forum yielded no solution.

The skaven strength in number rule claims they add their current rank bonus to their leadership, but unfortunately there does not appear to be any definition of what a rank bonus is outside of close combat and what exactly is meant by current.

In close combat do you calculate rank bonus:
A: At the time the break test is taken
B: At the start of the combat round
C: At the start of the combat phase

Likewise, when making a panic test for shooting / magic casualties or are affected by a spell that forces a leadership test do you calculate rank bonus:
A: At the time the leadership check is taken
B: At the start of the phase
C: When the attack was made but before casualties are removed
D: You don't get a rank bonus as you are not in close combat and there are no rules for rank bonuses except in the combat modifiers.

Tarax
15-10-2008, 07:28
Agreed, the rank bonus is usually calculated in close combat. But otherwise you still have ranks. It's better to read it as: calculate rank bonus as if you were in close combat.

As for your examples:
1. ranks are calculated at the beginning of the combat. You give both 'phase' and 'round'. I think you should use 'round' as because of a previously fought combat in that phase, you may loose your ranks, because of an overrun/pursuit you can get charged in the flank or rear.
Remember that when you have lost your ranks, you don't get them back until the situation arises where you would regain them by fighting of the flanking unit, or rally.

2. It's A. Casualties can give you a lesser Ld.

DeathlessDraich
15-10-2008, 08:08
There is no SIN when testing for Panic.

kramplarv
15-10-2008, 08:47
It is, it is stated in SiN that
" All units in the Skaven army always add their current rank bonus to their leadership value for any leadership based test"

That is the first sentence under the "STRENGTH IN NUMBERS" on page 10 in skaven book.

T10
15-10-2008, 09:05
There is no SIN when testing for Panic.

I've always taken this to mean that a large block of Skaven will benefit from this rule when taking its psychology tests: A unit of 5x5 Skaven has a rank bonus of +3 regardless of wether it is in combat or not.

But it appears you are of a different opinion. Please elaborate.

-T10

Eldramesha
15-10-2008, 09:22
I've always taken this to mean that a large block of Skaven will benefit from this rule when taking its psychology tests: A unit of 5x5 Skaven has a rank bonus of +3 regardless of wether it is in combat or not.

But it appears you are of a different opinion. Please elaborate.

-T10

There is no SiN when testing for panic due to flank/rear charges, though it does apply in other cases.

DeathlessDraich
15-10-2008, 09:25
Well actually the rule I quoted is an old 6th ed Skaven rule :D but I know 1 player who extends it for all Panic.
I don't and actually play it the way Tarax outlines.

EDIT: Eldmashra has quoted the rule, Sorry for misleading.

Festus
15-10-2008, 14:16
Hi

There is no SiN when testing for panic due to flank/rear charges, though it does apply in other cases.
There is no panic-test for flank or rear charges anymore, so there can be no appliance of SIN - as there is no test to begin with ... :rolleyes:

Festus

Crispian25
15-10-2008, 14:33
For combat, ranks are at the beginning, as stated earlier, and in the BRB.
For shooting/magic, it is at the time fo the Ld test.

Please correct me if I am wrong.