PDA

View Full Version : New to =][=, please critique my interrogator

korskarnkai
15-10-2008, 15:59
I'm looking to get into =][=, and have converted my 40k scale inquisitor to =][=. In 40k he's either fielded alone as an elite inquisitor with a close combat weapon, bolt pistol and unguents of warding or with a retinue as an inquisitor lord with an annointed powersword, bolt pistol, psychic hood, the destroy daemon power, 4 IST and 2 mystics.

Here's the long version:

Interrogator Vilchem Ilya
Male; left handed; 36 standard years old; unremarkable appearance (Imperial Guard regimental insignia tattooed on left shoulder). No apparent bionic augmentation or psychic talent.

Vilchem Jaques Ilya was born to a moderately wealthy family on Janos Secondus, a peaceful, mostly arid agri world 11 light years east of Fenris. In his late teens he enlisted in the Imperial Guard as a general infantryman to the dismay of his family who hoped he would pursue a career as a medicae. Ilya was a competent if unremarkable guardsman who showed little desire for advancement.

Ilya's career as a guardsman was largely uneventful and upon succesfully applying for a transfer of service, he returned to Janos Secondus where he was educated as a Legate Investigator. It was under this vocation he was sent to investigate rumours of unrest on Andles II, a small mechanicus moon in a neighbouring system. The unrest was caused by radical mechanicus cultists whose heretical warp engine experiments culminated in the opening of a minor warp gate soon after Ilya arrived. When an Inquisitorial task force under Ordo Malleus Inquisitor Wah Yu arrived several weeks later they found no trace of the warp gate, and Ilya amongst the few sane survivors.

During his initial interviews, Yu ascertained that the command structure of the moon quickly collapsed after the majority of the security garrison were killed or lost their sanity. It also became apparent that it was Ilya who closed the rift by organising the systematic destruction of the cultist's blasphemous icons scattered throughout the base. During the conflict Ilya executed the chief security officer after he showed signs of demonic possession, and disributed security munitions to the survivors to combat the warp entities. Ilya himself used an improvised multi melta to destroy a demonic war machine (later identified by its wreckage as a Soul Grinder).

After a lengthy interrogation, utilising his own highly developed psychic skills, Yu decided that Ilya’s mental fortitude and ability to remain rational under extreme pressure may be of use to the Inquisition and inducted him in his personal retinue. All other survivors were gifted with summary execution.

Ilya served in this position for four years, his unorthodox resourcefulness regularly proving a useful asset to the elderly inquisitor, before being premoted to the rank of High Interrogator. Typically dressing in combat fatigues and the ubiquitous Inquisitorial stormcoat, Ilya often spearheads initial investigations on Inquisitor Yu's behalf. In such circumstances Ilya will utilise elements of Yu's extensive contact list and typically arm himself with an easily concealable autopistol as well as a lathe dagger specifically crafted by Yu to ward against psychic manipulation.

Ilya's usual modus operandi after uncovering a daemonic presence is to lead a team comprised of the best available Imperial Guard veterans as well as a pair of Yamabushi Exorcists directly to the source of the rift and personally oversee the elimination of the primary daemonic presence. In this situation Ilya will likely don carapace armour and wield a consecrated powersword.

A devout Amalathian, Vilchem Ilya's ascension to the rank of Inquisitor is seen by most of his peers to be imminent.

WS - 72
BS - 62
St - 50
To - 52
In - 65
Wp - 83
Sg - 65
Nv - 70
Ld - 75

Talents – Leader, Feint, True Grit.

Equipment set 1- Autopistol with 3 man-stopper reloads, Lathe Dagger (inlayed with hexagrammic wards), Optics (count as an Infrascope when worn), Flak armour on chest and abdomen, robes on all other locations.

Equipment set 2- Autopistol with 3 man stopper reloads, Powersword, (inlayed with pentagrammic wards), Lathe Dagger (inlayed with hexagrammic wards), comm-link, rebreather, frag & krak grenades. Carapace armour on all locations except head.

kaled
15-10-2008, 17:27
I'm looking to get into =][=, and have converted my 40k scale inquisitor to =][=. In 40k he's an elite inquisitor with a master crafted annointed power sword, bolt pistol, icon of the just, carapace armour, auspex, unguents of warding, melta bombs and frags.I have to say I read this and was just about to dismiss the whole thread as yet another person who wanted to take an Inquisitor straight from the 40k battlefield and use him Inquisitor, but I'm glad to say that's not what you've done. :)

Interrogator Vilchem IlyaNow there's something you don't see every day - a principle character who's not yet an Inquisitor. Makes a nice change.

Daemons massacred every living thing except for Ilya, who was subsequently taken into custody by Ordo Malleus Inquisitor Zhong Kui upon his arrival several weeks later.It's probably a bit much to have him be the sole survivor - maybe the only survivor from his platoon?

After a lengthy interrogation, and despite not being fully convinced of his story, Kui inducted Ilya as an Interrogator in his personal retinue.Why did he take him on as an Interrogator? Why not just make him a soldier in his retinue?

Ilya has formed an unusually close relationship with Yumi, a Callidus agent posted to Kui's retinue on a semi-permanent basis.Officio assassins are not normally posted to the retinue of an Inquisitor (although as always there are exceptions), they can only be deployed by a vote in the Senatorum Imperialis. An Inquisitor is unlikely to just be given the services of one. Personally I'd just make her a talented death cultist, or perhaps an Ordo Sicarius Operative who has access to polymorphine. Of course this would only really make sense if the Inquisitor was a member of the Ordo Sicarius, but if he's from 40k I assume he's Malleus or Hereticus.

as well as his family's ancestral sword, Tess, which he has had inlayed with pentagrammic and hexagrammic wards.When did he get the ancestral sword? I assume he didn't carry it as a guardsman, and you say his family weren't happy when he didn't join the family business so why did they give it to him? In fact, it might be worth explaining why a family in the energy production business has such a rare sword in the first place.

WS - 79
BS - 66
St - 58
To - 58
In - 78
Wp - 83
Sg - 70
Nv - 75
Ld - 75

Talents – Leader, Feint, True Grit Looks fine to me, good but not OTT.

Weapons – Power Sword (with inlayed hexagrammic and pentagrammic wards), auto pistol with 2 reloads, shotgun with 10 shots, combat knife, frag & krak grenades. Again, looks fine to me.

Equipment - Conversion Field, auspex, medi-pak.I think you should get rid of the conversion field - he's already extremely well armoured and the conversion field is just overkill. Also, I'd give the medi-pak to a member of his retinue - it's be more interesting if he had a field-medic or Sister Hospitallier in his retinue rather than carrying it himself. On that subject - what characters are going to make up his warband? Also, what type of auspex - bio-scanner, motion tracker?

Armour - Carapace on all locations, enclosed helm incorporating advanced visual and aural sensors, rebreather and comm-link.As I said before, carapace armour is very good so I don't think he needs that and the conversion field. If you want to keep the conversion field I'd say get rid of the armour, you said that in covert situations he dresses in combat fatigues and a coat - therefore I'd equip him in like that and then maybe give him the conversion field.

How does it look?Not bad at all. :) His story is okay, with just a few bits that need clarification. He equipment needs to be cut back a bit though.

And for the big question, how do you plan to model him? 54mm? You could always make two versions - one in carapace armour and one in a long coat with a conversion field.

- Dave

Askil the Undecided
15-10-2008, 21:24
oh my god this is revolting you're seriously telling me this guy is in the to 30% of all humanity in 6 of the 9 aspects of human endevour that stats measure?

Your stats add upto 642! take about 57 points off that total and you might be getting to a sensible level for a powerful but not utterly immortal character that can do everything.

A warded powersword (which you never mentioned him getting), the second best armour (with helm) and a conversion field? Who the hell is this guy? There are Inquisitor lords with less gear than this.

If he's so utterly unremarkable why does he have leader? Surely being unremarkable and swaddled in armour it'd be hard to tell him from a soldier with a fancy shiny sword?

You seem to be having problems with the gothic aspect of the 40k verse. Basically this is it.

Everything sucks, nobody has much of an idea what's happening or much practical knowledge beyond their immediate skillset, everything wants you dead.

Ex-Guard, noble, sword-deullist, medic, gunfighter, heroic leaders don't exist nobody is that multiskilled. Getting a stat above 70 means you have bevoted a significant portion of your life excluding other activities to perfect that one aspect of yourself.

kaled
15-10-2008, 23:24
oh my god this is revolting you're seriously telling me this guy is in the to 30% of all humanity in 6 of the 9 aspects of human endevour that stats measure?

Your stats add upto 642! take about 57 points off that total and you might be getting to a sensible level for a powerful but not utterly immortal character that can do everything.Woah there, you're being more than a little harsh. In my experience this guy sits somewhere in the middle stats wise of the characters I've played against and is considerably less powerful than most people's first character. He sits towards the lower end of the stats for a member of the Inquisition given in the rulebook, so even though most people consider the rulebook stats a bit high he's far from OTT. As for him being in the top 30% of humanity in the majority of areas - well, I'd hope so - he is being trained by the Inquisition after all. If he was entirely unexceptional why would he be in that position? I don't know what you consider a 'sensible' level for a character, but I'd say this guy fits most people's definition.

A warded powersword (which you never mentioned him getting), the second best armour (with helm) and a conversion field? Who the hell is this guy? There are Inquisitor lords with less gear than this.While, as I mentioned before, it would be nice if the sword was explained and the conversion field AND full carapace is a bit OTT, in general there's nothing wrong with his equipment. Carapace armour is easy to come by if you're a trusted acolyte, as are the wards (especially if his master has the knowledge to create them).

If he's so utterly unremarkable why does he have leader?Presumably he has Leader because since being recruited by the Inquisition his leadership skills have developed?

Ex-Guard, noble, sword-deullist, medic, gunfighter, heroic leaders don't exist nobody is that multiskilled.Well, this guy isn't a medic, he just caries a medi-kit (which I'd move to another character anyway), and he's hardly an expert gunfighter (about right for an ex-Guardsman I'd say). Heroic? That's debatable - he doesn't have the Heroic skill anyway. So we're left with an ex-Guard, noble, sword-duellist, leader - that hardly seems unreasonable. There are plenty of characters in the 40k canon who are a similar level (and quite a few that are better).

Getting a stat above 70 means you have bevoted a significant portion of your life excluding other activities to perfect that one aspect of yourself.Not according to the rulebook (LRB p15). Starting with mental stats - Ld of 70 is about right for an average Imperial soldier and it is just above the expected Nv for a Guardsman. A Wp of 70 is probably about right for a leader such as this guy, and a Sg at that level is not unreasonable for a member of the Inquisition who as a minor noble was presumably educated to a degree (it's a bit below that of a military commander or tech-priest). As for physical stats; WS=70 is between competent and expert, similarly with BS. Having a S / T of 70 would place a character well above average so you're possibly right there. I=70 is just above the level of a trained soldier, but still well below that of an assassin. So all in all, having a few stats over 70 doesn't seem out of place for a member of the Inquisition, even if he is still an Interrogator, and hardly require one to devote a large portion of their life to that area.

You might choose to play with characters who are of a much lower power level, but the character in this thread is perfectly reasonable by my definition, and judging by what people post on the Inquisitor forums I'd say he fits that definition for a lot of other people too (and going by the rulebook, he ain't half bad either).

- Dave

korskarnkai
16-10-2008, 02:56
Thanks a lot for the feedback guys. Like I said, I'm new to this, so I'm a little unsure of exactly the stats work out in accordance to the fluff. For example the carapace armour: in 40k, all inquisitors have at least a 4+ armour save. Fluff wise I'd imagine an Inquisitor could easily supply his interrogators with it if they were heading in a combat situation.

It's probably a bit much to have him be the sole survivor - maybe the only survivor from his platoon?
That might be better, but I need to give the inquisitor enough reason to not only have him executed for witnessing the warp, but also to recruit him as an interrogator. Maybe he was the only survivor to retain his sanity?

Why did he take him on as an Interrogator? Why not just make him a soldier in his retinue?
The inquisitor made him an interrogator because unlike all the other guardsmen he had enough initiative to close the rift instead of going crazy or shoot at the tide of daemons until he died.

I think you should get rid of the conversion field - he's already extremely well armoured and the conversion field is just overkill. Also, I'd give the medi-pak to a member of his retinue - it's be more interesting if he had a field-medic or Sister Hospitallier in his retinue rather than carrying it himself. On that subject - what characters are going to make up his warband? Also, what type of auspex - bio-scanner, motion tracker?
Ok, what if I drop the carapace armour, the auspex and medi-pak and keep the conversion field? I like swords and stuff, but with guns getting carried around they are fairly useless. Unless you have a force field. ;)

Officio assassins are not normally posted to the retinue of an Inquisitor (although as always there are exceptions), they can only be deployed by a vote in the Senatorum Imperialis. An Inquisitor is unlikely to just be given the services of one. Personally I'd just make her a talented death cultist.
Fair enough, death cultist is better then.

When did he get the ancestral sword? I assume he didn't carry it as a guardsman, and you say his family weren't happy when he didn't join the family business so why did they give it to him? In fact, it might be worth explaining why a family in the energy production business has such a rare sword in the first place.
Yeah, this was a sticking point for me. I envisioned that on his home planet all the noble families had their own house swords (too much George RR Martin haha), and that when he was inducted into the retinue he went home and took it with him. Maybe I'll just drop the backstory and make it a gift from the Inquisitor?

And for the big question, how do you plan to model him? 54mm? You could always make two versions - one in carapace armour and one in a long coat with a conversion field.
For the moment our group is using 28mm to see if we enjoy the game. If so, we'll move up to 54mm, and I'll probably use Inquisitor Convent as a base. :)

korskarnkai
16-10-2008, 04:28
Ok, I rejigged the backstory, stats and equipment, which you can see above.

Is this any better? Or would I still be better off dropping the conversion field and using carapace armour?

kaled
16-10-2008, 07:13
The inquisitor made him an interrogator because unlike all the other guardsmen he had enough initiative to close the rift instead of going crazy or shoot at the tide of daemons until he died.So really you're saying the character had sufficient force of will to keep his head in a situation where others lost theirs. Still, it doesn't make sense that he was the only one. Perhaps say that while most men in his platoon or regiment or whatever faltered and either lost their sanity or were slaughtered, Ilya displayed previously hidden talents of leadership and willpower and organised the few guardsmen still able to fight and struck back and managing to close the warp gate.

Ok, what if I drop the carapace armour, the auspex and medi-pak and keep the conversion field? I like swords and stuff, but with guns getting carried around they are fairly useless. Unless you have a force field. ;)I'd keep the scanner (or give it to a member of his team) as they are useful, but you still need to decide what type it is. Remember that force fields don't work in close combat, so your conversion field won't protect you against swords and stuff (and conversion fields are annoying as they tend to blind your friends as well as enemies). Personally, I'd juat give him flak armour on his legs, arms, and groin, with a carapace breastplate covering his chest and abdomen (athough that will depend somewhat on what model you plan to use). Most of my Inquisitors just wear flak, or a mix of flak and carapace armour. I do have a few characters wearing full, or nearly full carapace, but most just wear flak - it can more easily be disguised as everyday clothing which is good if you're working covertly.

You didn't mention a warband - is he getting one, or just going to fight alone? I'd definitely give him a warband consisting of a couple of members (3 characters each is a good size for a 2-3 player game) - perhaps someone good at ranged combat to complement his focus on close-combat, maybe a gunfighter or bounty hunter, and someone with more brains than brawn like a tech-adept, savant or scribe for when the objective isn't simply to kill the opposing team.

For the moment our group is using 28mm to see if we enjoy the game. If so, we'll move up to 54mm, and I'll probably use Inquisitor Convent as a base. :)You should build him in 54mm anyway - the advantages of 54mm may not be immediately apparent until you actually build a model or two. It is more expensive, but eBay often has bargains - if you shop around long enough you can usually get models for about £5. The thing to remember when playing at 28mm is not to go overboard. 3-4 models per player and a few NPCs is generally about right. Also, as this isn't 40k you should try to avoid troop types commonly seen on the battlefield. Fire Warriors, Aspect Warriors, Marines etc can all have their place in Inquisitor but this is your chance to explore the rest of the 40k universe so make the best of it.

Finally, I see also you dropped two of his abilities - I'd put at least one of them back, maybe both, three is hardly excessive.

- Dave

Catferret
16-10-2008, 08:32
I really wouldn't worry about a force field. Carapace will stop a lot more damage than you think.

In combat, you are relying on parrying and dodging rather than armour. Anything that will cut through carapace would likely incapacitate you whether you were wearing it or not.

With ranged combat, you are looking to make the most of cover. A brick wall and carapace will stop all but the most high powered weapons.

That's where the detail of Inquisitor comes in. You are wanting to make placed shots against exposed locations rather than just stomping around in full armour emptying whole mags of ammo into someone.

Another point is armour in Inquisitor will rarely completely stop damage, but it will likely drop the amount of injury levels you take per hit. thtat's important for keeping a character active, while still working with the more cinematic theme.

korskarnkai
16-10-2008, 10:39
Thanks for all the feedback guys I really appreciate it.

So really you're saying the character had sufficient force of will to keep his head in a situation where others lost theirs. Still, it doesn't make sense that he was the only one. Perhaps say that while most men in his platoon or regiment or whatever faltered and either lost their sanity or were slaughtered, Ilya displayed previously hidden talents of leadership and willpower and organised the few guardsmen still able to fight and struck back and managing to close the warp gate.
That's a good idea, and it justifies the Leader Talent too (and makes the execution of the other survivors even more 40k-ier!).
Another direction I considered was an =][= equivilent of the 40k psychic power Destroy Daemon. That would immidiately justify his recruitment as an Interrogator. Only problem is I've never found an example in any 40k fluff I've ever read...

You didn't mention a warband...
I'm not too sure yet, I want to get Vilchem to a point I am happy with before I decide on others. I was thinking of varying it, as in he might be with a couple of arbites in one campaign or scenario, and a couple of soritas in another.

Remember that force fields don't work in close combat, so your conversion field won't protect you against swords and stuff (and conversion fields are annoying as they tend to blind your friends as well as enemies).
The reason I like the conversion field is that it justifies the inclusion of the sword (ie, he can reasonably make a charge against a gun carrying enemy). Its also more covert than a suit of carapace armour. Hmm... maybe I'll just go for neither and make him rely on WS and parrying up close and cover at a distance?

You should build him in 54mm anyway -
I probably will do it regardless of what the rest of the group does, I just have to decide on his equipment first!

On the revised background, is the new fluff for the sword over the top? If I drop the conversion field, I'd probably drop that whole background bit as well, since it would mean the weapon is far less exceptional.

kaled
16-10-2008, 13:09
Another direction I considered was an =][= equivilent of the 40k psychic power Destroy Daemon. That would immidiately justify his recruitment as an Interrogator. Only problem is I've never found an example in any 40k fluff I've ever read...I'd avoid giving him psychic powers - for a start it make his background more difficult as by all rights if he's a psyker he should be shipped off on a Blackship rather than immediately being inducted into the Inquisition.

I'm not too sure yet, I want to get Vilchem to a point I am happy with before I decide on others. I was thinking of varying it, as in he might be with a couple of arbites in one campaign or scenario, and a couple of soritas in another.A couple of Arbitors or a couple of Sororitas wouldn't make for a good warband IMHO. Battle sisters have power armour and bolters (as well as being very skilled) would be very hard to kill and would slaughter most other characters - bolt weapons in Inquisitor are extremely good and can easily put someone out of the game with one hit; and power armour makes a character all but invulnerable to most normal weapons. Arbitors are better as their equipment isn't quite so overpowering, but two of them would make for a powerful warband.

It's generally felt that you should keep the number of bolters and power weapons in a warband to a minimum and instead use lasguns, autoguns and shotguns - that being the case, power armour is generally frowned upon as those kinds of weapons can hardly dent it. You don't want to end up with an arms race where everyone takes more and more powerful weapons and armour just because their opponents have them

Why not an armoured Arbitor and a plain-clothes detective type? Or instead of a battle sister, have a Sister Hospitaller, Dialogous or Famulous? Far more interesting than just using existing troop types.

The reason I like the conversion field is that it justifies the inclusion of the sword (ie, he can reasonably make a charge against a gun carrying enemy). Its also more covert than a suit of carapace armour.That's fair enough - I just wanted to make sure you realised it wouldn't protect you in close combat.

I probably will do it regardless of what the rest of the group does, I just have to decide on his equipment first!You don't have to decide first - it's not as if people only have one set of clothes and equipment. As long as the head/face of the two models looks similar then you should be fine.

On the revised background, is the new fluff for the sword over the top? If I drop the conversion field, I'd probably drop that whole background bit as well, since it would mean the weapon is far less exceptional.Despite their prevalence in games of 40k, powerswords are still reasonably rare. I don't really like the fact that his sword also incorporates the wards and conversion field too. I'd just put a set of wards on the sword, and have the conversion field incorporated into his rosette or whatever.

- Dave

korskarnkai
18-10-2008, 02:11
I think I've got hom to the point I am happy with. I decided to comprimise: during 90% of =][= games, Ilya will be equipped with his jacket, hunting knife and autopistol. For the other 10%, as well as Combat Patrol games of 40k, he will use carapace armour, a shotgun and the powersword.

I put the Leader talent back in to reflect the changes in the fluff, and got rid of the minor noble bit as well as downgraded some of the stats significantly. The Feint talent is directly due to 4 years of fencing lessons as an Acolyte.

Does this look ok?

kaled
18-10-2008, 10:09
I think I've got hom to the point I am happy with. I decided to comprimise: during 90% of =][= games, Ilya will be equipped with his jacket, hunting knife and autopistol. For the other 10%, as well as Combat Patrol games of 40k, he will use carapace armour, a shotgun and the powersword.That's fine - if I were you I'd edit the first post to split the weapons/equipment/armour section in two to seperate out the two profiles. So, when do we get to see models?

as well as downgraded some of the stats significantly...

Does this look ok?That depends, and brings me to something that I kind of alluded to earlier but is worth stating outright. It only really matters that he's about the same power level as the characters your opponent uses.

A lot of people use characters at roughly the level of the sample ones in the rulebook, this is generally fine if everyone does the same. However, what I noticed when I started is that many veteran players think the sample characters have stats that are too high (if you can be fairly certain that whenever a character rolls to hit that he'll succeed then some of the fun is taken out of the game). Hence many people advocate stats a bit lower than in the rulebook. Askil the Undecided seems to go even further and prefer even lower stats. None of these approaches are wrong, you just have to decide as a group roughly where you want your characters to fit.

Personally I tend to go with the descriptions on p15 of the LRB (p23 of the actual book), so for example a competant warrior would have between WS 50 & 60, while an expert would be around 80.

- Dave

Inquisitor175
12-11-2008, 23:46
i find the power sword and force field a bit overkill my suggestion is

replace power sword with chain sword or a sword with special abilities
you could say that he is a noble or somthing and that his ancestors have a history of sevice in that particlar regiment and it is an heirloom

precinctomega
13-11-2008, 08:03
Looks like a decent character to me. Now build him!

R.

korskarnkai
02-07-2009, 16:39
Hey guys I finally got around to doing up a 28mm version of my interrogator, as well as updating his backstory (which can be read in the original post).

Does he look alright? The attached version is the one I'll use for 99% of =][=, the other one is to represent him as I field him in my daemonhunter army. I put a fair bit of effort into the backstory, trying to establish Vilchem as remarkable enough that an inquisitor would recruit him, yet trying to stay well away from making him a mary sue type. He's not especially tough or strong or skilled, but rather strong willed, level headed and opportunistic.

Does he look ok?

kaled
02-07-2009, 18:52
He looks cool. Can we see the battlefield version too?

korskarnkai
03-07-2009, 02:23
Here is the unfinished battlefield version. I tried to get away from the usual static heroic pose that a lot of GW models have and tried to express a more narrative tone, ie the inquisitor's "man on the ground" directing orders to the kasrkin he usually leads leads.

My 500 point 40k inquisition army looks like this at the moment:

HQ 1 - Interrogator Vilchem Ilya:
Inquisitor Lord with Annointed Powersword, bolt pistol, krak grenades, psychic hood, sacred incense and the Destroy Daemon psychic power. Retinue of 2 mystics (the yamabushi exorcists), 2 warriors with meltaguns and 2 acolytes with carapace armour, hellguns and laspistols (ie kasrkin). 200 points.

Elite 1 - Handmaiden Yumi:
Callidus Assassin. 120 points.

TR 1 - Callsign ".5 Alpha":
7 Inquisitorial Stormtroopers with 2 plasmaguns. 90 points.

TR 1 - Callsign ".5 Bravo":
7 Inquisitorial Stormtroopers with 2 plasmaguns. 90 points.

500 points.

Not exactly the most effective army (who plays daemonhunters for effectiveness?) but it is fun to use, and the horridly overpriced retinue is fairly effective attaking out 1 big daemony thing. Plus, it fits the allied rules so can be attached to any of my other 40k armies as a command element. I see the power difference in Ilya between =][= and 40k (ie the stats, psychic power and hood) as an abstract representation of the 2 exorcists.

I'd love to add a 40k scale thunderhawk or gun cutter to transport them around in, but I'll wait until its a plastic kit I think... :)

kaled
03-07-2009, 07:08
I'd love to add a 40k scale thunderhawk or gun cutter to transport them around in, but I'll wait until its a plastic kit I think... :)Buy yourself some plasticard and get building - it's not that hard and if you look around you can find plans for all sorts of vehicles on the net.

precinctomega
03-07-2009, 10:51
...says the man who built a 54mm Valkyrie.

I like both models and think they've got a lot of character. Either would look fine in a game of Inq28. My one piece of advice is to add the goggles to the second model, too. The goggles are really distinctive and having them on both models would help to cement the fact that they're both the same person.

R.

Daredhnu
03-07-2009, 21:58
My one piece of advice is to add the goggles to the second model, too. The goggles are really distinctive and having them on both models would help to cement the fact that they're both the same person.

i agree with this, i really missed the goggles on the "battlefield" version of him also i think it will look awesome.
really like the delaque conversion too, he looks nice and sinister, like he should. (then again all delaque models look sinister it's kind of their thing)

korskarnkai
04-07-2009, 12:23
Thanks guys, I really appreciate it!

The delaque conversion actually took me ages, sawing off the original arms etc without damaging the body too much. I'm not the best painter (by any stretch), but I think it looks ok. I like the irony of a sinister looking daemonhunter, as opposed to the usual paladin type malleus inquisitors you often see.

I actually really like the forgeworld aquila lander, so maybe I'll get that to use as Ilya's transport...

Ynek
06-07-2009, 17:22
For a first attempt at creating an inquisitor character, you've actually done a pretty good job. He's pretty balanced, and not too over the top. Well done.

On a further note, I would just point out that interrogators, contrary to the abnett-esque vision of being the "mini-inquisitors", actually do tend to specialise in making interrogations rather than being soldiers or investigators themselves. The typical 'mini-inquisitor' acolytes tend to be deductors, who work closely with their master or mistress, usually working on the same case, and Explicators, who tend to work separately from their mentor, and will generally have a greater degree of independence. It's just a small point, but I thought it was worth mentioning.

It's probably a bit much to have him be the sole survivor - maybe the only survivor from his platoon?
Unless... The daemons WANTED him to survive? I daresay that having a puppet within the inquisition would be a great asset, from a daemonic point of view... Perhaps more happened between Ilya and the daemons than we are being told? Perhaps, like Cherubael in the Eisenhorn trilogy, the daemons have decided to let Ilya live because he's destined to do something that they think they can benefit from?

Just a thought...

freki
06-07-2009, 21:55
OK time for me to toss in my two Imperial talons

as for the characters equipment when I read it
I never understand why people always think something is over powered in a RPG setting
you just need to think out side what ever box we are in to defeat it
SO I say let him have the conversion field and carapace
as for stats over 70 % well if you roll random and generate it I say keep it !!!!!!
because you can also roll below it !!!

now for a personal transport for this guy ??
in the 40K setting give him a Chimara or Landraider

for INQ games maybe a vaylkire or an arvus lighter
the aquila is just a limo

Ynek
06-07-2009, 22:35
The reason why we're saying that carapace armour AND a conversion field are not to be recommended is all down to the enjoyment of the players. If players come up against a character with an armour value that varies between between 8 and 18, and the aforementioned player's characters are ash-wastes gangers, armed (quite in-character) with lasguns and autoguns (max damage ~12), you can see why they might feel a little bit peeved at facing such an opponent.

You might argue that the other player should then make his ash-wastes gangers have better equipment to deal with the better-equipped foe, but that would probably not be in character for what's basically a bunch of lawless scum living in a grey desert. Such people won't have the brains to maintain a bolter or a power sword even if they did by some miracle get their hands on one. You can't expect players to all run around with powerful uber-characters, because if that happens, then you just end up with marines, aspect warriors, and other 40k archetypes running around causing havoc.

In my experience, the fun of inquisitor is that you can play off the grid of the 40k universe. You can play with ash waste gangers, imperial guard deserters, rogue adeptus mechanicus, space marine serfs, navigators, rogue psykers, Hrud, titan princeps and all the archetypes that you don't normally see in games of 40k. None of these archetypes are particularly powerful, but they are very much in the spirit of the inquisitor game. If everyone is running around with typical 40k archetypes, then it just becomes 40k with big models, at which point, the players realise that they might as well just be playing 40k.

I seem to have dragged myself just a wee bittie off topic, there... So I'll finish here.

MarcoSkoll
07-07-2009, 01:11
I never understand why people always think something is over powered in a RPG settingThat's easy. We think they're more powerful than their background gives them justification to be.

Let's say I give a completely average 3 year old kid stats of 90 across the board. Silly, and unjustifiable - I think even you'll agree.
Same thing with Inquisitors and their companions. High skill levels need to be justified and should usually be countered with weaknesses in those areas they've had to cut back on in order to excel at something else.

You just need to think outside whatever box we are in to defeat it There's a reason why we're in a box - this box is called the 40k universe, and if it's not inside the box, that means you shouldn't be using it.

I'm a fan of finding dark, uninhabited corners of the box - not deliberately trying to ignore the background as you are suggesting doing.

as for stats over 70% well if you roll random and generate it I say keep it !!!!!! because you can also roll below it !!!
No, dice are never an excuse. A high stat that can't be justified by the background is a high stat that can't be justified by the background regardless of whether you picked the number or you rolled it.
If you were using dice in the first place, it means you weren't really doing it right, and probably means you're generating the profile first then generating the background to fit it, not the other (and correct) way around.

Why should you care what the dice say? This is your character, not the dice's! The dice don't know whether the number they're showing is appropriate - you however have the brain power and page 15 of the LRB to be able to work it out.
Anyone doing Inquisitor properly shouldn't even touch the dice during character creation.

korskarnkai
07-07-2009, 01:30
For a first attempt at creating an inquisitor character, you've actually done a pretty good job. He's pretty balanced, and not too over the top. Well done.
Thanks! Truth be told I actually like the newest, non-carapace, version the best myself. I like how his shiniest toy (ie the dagger) is still a very humble weapon at the end of the day. The idea is as he gets more experienced the dagger can evolve into a purbha like exorcist tool.

On a further note, I would just point out that interrogators, contrary to the abnett-esque vision of being the "mini-inquisitors", actually do tend to specialise in making interrogations rather than being soldiers or investigators themselves. The typical 'mini-inquisitor' acolytes tend to be deductors, who work closely with their master or mistress, usually working on the same case, and Explicators, who tend to work separately from their mentor, and will generally have a greater degree of independence. It's just a small point, but I thought it was worth mentioning.
Thanks for that. As you could no doubt tell, Eisenhorn is where most of my =][= knowledge comes from. So I guess Ilya would be a Explicator then?

Unless... The daemons WANTED him to survive? I daresay that having a puppet within the inquisition would be a great asset, from a daemonic point of view... Perhaps more happened between Ilya and the daemons than we are being told? Perhaps, like Cherubael in the Eisenhorn trilogy, the daemons have decided to let Ilya live because he's destined to do something that they think they can benefit from?

Just a thought...
haha... I actually thought of writing that in, but decided the see how it plays out. It gives the character much more depth and scope if he becomes a celebrated daemon hunter who has been unknownly manipulated into only taking out particular daemons.

Thanks for your reply!

Ynek
07-07-2009, 04:04
haha... I actually thought of writing that in, but decided the see how it plays out. It gives the character much more depth and scope if he becomes a celebrated daemon hunter who has been unknownly manipulated into only taking out particular daemons.

Ah, trust me... You don't want to go spelling that sort of thing out. It's more fun to leave it as a vague hint in the background that leaves all sorts of doors open and keeps the narrative fluid and adaptable.

When I'm writing backgrounds, I always try to leave loose ends here and there, because loose ends invariably become good plot hooks.... And the reason why Ilya survived the incident is a perfectly good example of one such hook.... It's not explained how he survived, so it's open to interpretation. Whether one interprets that as being exceptional skill or daemonic manipulation is open.

If you are going to have him being manipulated by a daemon, you might want to look into the now defunct fifth chaos god, Malal, the outcast god who wanted to destroy the other four powers. It would fit in nicely with the background if Malal was guiding the inquisitor towards daemons that were in particularly prominent positions of power....

If you decide to take the route that he wasn't influenced by daemons at all, and genuinely did lead the survivors of the incident to victory through sheer determination, a level head and pure skill, then perhaps a puritan inquisitor starts sniffing around, thinking that Ilya is daemonically tainted, and starts asking all sorts of questions... I could see that actually coming to a full-on firefight, which is very appropriate to base an Inquisitor game or two around.

Thanks for that. As you could no doubt tell, Eisenhorn is where most of my =][= knowledge comes from. So I guess Ilya would be a Explicator then?

The Thorian sourcebook, as well as the 'judicious remit' article from Fanatic might prove interesting reading for you, if your main source has been Abnett so far....
And from what I've seen of your character, I think that Explicator might be a more appropriate title (I don't see his master hanging about him on your 40k army list, so I'm guessing he works independently of him). Abnett unfortunately seems to just like using the word 'interrogator' when he should use the word 'acolyte.' But at the time that he wrote that book, little was actually known about the structure of the inquisition, so to be fair, he was fumbling in the dark a bit.

MarcoSkoll
07-07-2009, 12:29
....as well as the 'judicious remit' article from Fanatic might prove interesting reading for you.
Cue obligatory link: http://www.mediafire.com/file/0txmnmuzhju/TheJudiciousRemit.pdf

The Thorian sourcebook can still be found on the GW site.

But if you haven't already got all the Fanatic PDFs, then you might want to just download the bulk pack linked in my signature. Every official GW Inq PDF (well, and a .doc and two important pieces of information which could only be found in .htm format) I can find except the rulebooks.

Commissar Molotov
07-07-2009, 12:37
Nice Delaque conversion. It's nice to see someone doing something different with those models!

korskarnkai
11-07-2009, 08:02
One thing I'm not too sure about with Ilya at the moment is his setup. He's a daemonhunter, but doesn't really bring anything to help him survive a daemonic encounter (I'm talking about his =][= equipment setup, not the 40k one of course). Obviously I dont want him to carry around a psycannon or power armour or anything, but would it be more effective if I changed the dagger up a bit?

I was thinking of making it a lathe dagger (immune to being destroyed by power weapons), with hexagrammic wards and pentagrammic wards (the latter only effecting daemons the dagger physically strikes rather than everything within 5 yards).

Alternatively, I could keep the dagger as is and make it also confer the wyrd ability Banishment upon a successful strike, representing that Ilya isnt a psyker, but the dagger is an exorcist tool similar to the Tibetan Phurba.

In either case, the powersword in the 2nd equipment set would be changed into an annointed weapon as per Alex Nelson's Swords of the Faithful article.

Also, I was reading Kaled's excellent =][= guidline article and am thinking of swapping the Fient and True Grit talents for the Heroic one, since it better represents Ilya's versatility rather than a single exceptional talent.

Any other ideas?

precinctomega
11-07-2009, 13:51
Absolutely! Give the dagger hexagrammic wards by all means - perhaps even make it even more powerful as a daemon-slayer - heck, getting to within Reach 1 will be hard enough! Not sure about making it a lathe weapon, though. After all, it's for killing daemons. If he's fighting conventional enemies it should stay firmly in its sheathe.

R.

korskarnkai
11-07-2009, 16:21
The lathe thing isn't intended to be a powerweapon counter (though in an emergency...), but more to represent the Inquisitor selecting the best quality weaponry possible to put all the wards on. But you are right, emergencies excepted, the dagger wouldn't come out all.

Do you think the dagger is better with the 2 sets of wards or with the banishment-wyrd combo? Personally, I'm leaning towards the second as it appears fairly unique. :)

Ynek
11-07-2009, 21:49
Just to say that I'm not sure about this lathe special rule for the dagger. Generally, the only thing that can repel the power field of a power weapon is another power field. Anything that does not project a power field is thus affected by the power weapon's molecular disruption field and is thus destroyed. It does not matter how well made the weapon is or what it's made of - if it's made of atomic matter, it will be destroyed.

As far as the special rules against daemons are concerned - why not say that the dagger does double damage against daemonic entities? As I'm assuming it's counted as a knife, this would mean that it would do 2D6 + SB damage... Not overpowered in the least.

korskarnkai
12-07-2009, 01:27
Hi Ynek,

The lathe property is taken from the Dark Heresy book. Something in the construction of a lathe weapon makes it repellant to power fields apparently. Similar to kortosis in the xbox Star Wars games I guess?

As for the special rules, I can appreciate the simplicity of your suggestion, but its not exactly threatening for a daemon. The idea behind the banishing thing is that if the Inquisitor can get close enough (not to mention survive long enough to land a hit), he has a chance to banish the daemon. Since Ilya usually works alone he needs to be able to pose some threat to a daemon but still be balanced against other characters.

Having said all that, I'm in no way an experienced Inquisitor player. If I'm off base please tell me. :)

korskarnkai
12-07-2009, 07:25
After a bit of thought and reading all the excellent links I've been provided with here, I've decided to give Ilya a retinue. I wouldn't usually field the whole retinue at once (outside of 40k), but instead as a sort of pool of expertise for Ilya to draw upon depending on his requirements.

So, here we go.

Interrogator Vilchem Ilya
Male; left handed; 36 standard years old; unremarkable appearance (Imperial Guard regimental insignia tattooed on left shoulder). No apparent bionic augmentation or psychic talent.

Vilchem Jaques Ilya was born to a moderately wealthy family on Janos Secondus, a peaceful, mostly arid agri world 11 light years east of Fenris. In his late teens he enlisted in the Imperial Guard as a general infantryman to the dismay of his family who hoped he would pursue a career as a medicae. Ilya was a competent if unremarkable guardsman who showed little desire for advancement.

Ilya's career as a guardsman was largely uneventful and upon succesfully applying for a transfer of service, he returned to Janos Secondus where he was educated as a Legate Investigator. It was under this vocation he was sent to investigate rumours of unrest on Andles II, a small mechanicus moon in a neighbouring system. The unrest was caused by radical mechanicus cultists whose heretical warp engine experiments culminated in the opening of a minor warp gate soon after Ilya arrived. When an Inquisitorial task force under Ordo Malleus Inquisitor Wah Yu arrived several weeks later they found no trace of the warp gate, and Ilya the lone sane survivor.

During his initial interviews, Yu ascertained that the command structure of the moon quickly collapsed after the majority of the security garrison were killed or lost their sanity. It also became apparent that it was Ilya who closed the rift by organising the systematic destruction of the cultist's blasphemous icons scattered throughout the base. During the conflict Ilya executed the chief security officer after he showed signs of demonic possession and used an improvised multi melta to destroy a demonic war machine (later identified by its wreckage as a Soul Grinder).

Inquisitor Yu was initially highly suspicious of Ilya's survival and ordered his incarceration. After a lengthy interrogation, utilising his own highly developed psychic skills, Yu decided that Ilya’s mental fortitude and ability to remain rational under extreme pressure may be of use to the Inquisition and inducted him in his personal retinue.

Ilya served in this position for four years, his unorthodox resourcefulness regularly proving a useful asset to the inquisitor, before being premoted to the rank of High Interrogator. Typically dressing in combat fatigues and the ubiquitous Inquisitorial stormcoat, and accompanied by his bodyguard Oti Vana, Ilya often spearheads initial investigations on Inquisitor Yu's behalf. In such circumstances Ilya will utilise elements of Yu's extensive contact list and typically arm himself with an easily concealable autopistol as well as a lathe dagger specifically warded to banish warp creatures.

A devout Amalathian, Vilchem Ilya's ascension to the rank of Inquisitor is seen by most of his peers to be imminent.

WS - 72
BS - 62
St - 50
To - 52
In - 65
Wp - 83
Sg - 65
Nv - 70
Ld - 75

Talents – Leader, Heroic.

Equipment set 1- Autopistol with 3 man-stopper reloads, Carnwennan (sanctified lathe dagger that gives Ilya the Wyrd ability Banishment upon a successful strike), Optics (count as an Infrascope when worn), Aquila Charm (Hexagrammic ward), Carapace equivilent armour on chest and abdomen, robes on all other locations.

---

Imperial Guard Veteran Oti Vana
Male; right handed; 42 standard years old; intimidating appearance (Imperial Guard regimental insignia tattooed on left shoulder); average quality bionic left ear and eye; no apparent psychic talent.

Oti Mayne Vana was, like Ilya, born on Janos Secondus and joined the Imperial Guard in his late teens. A giant of a man, Vana's dedication and immense personal charisma saw him quickly rise to the rank of Sergeant. It was in this capacity that he struck up a friendship with one Private Vilchem Ilya. As a NCO Vana was immensely popular with his men and took every opportunity to cultivate this respect whilst increasing the combat effectiveness of those under his command. When Ilya reached the rank of High Interrogator to Lord Inquisitor Wah Yu he sought out his one time superior and enlisted him as a bodyguard and advisor. Vana has proven an extremely capable comrade for Ilya, their relationship much more akin to loyal friends than Inquisitorial Agent and subordinate. In most situations Vana takes advantage of his imposing presence by equipping himself with carapace armour and a standard issue meltagun, though is equally adept in more subtle information gathering roles.

WS - 66
BS - 67
St - 65
To - 65
In - 60
Wp - 60
Sg - 65
Nv - 65
Ld - 75

Talents – Leader, True Grit.

Equipment set- Meltagun, laspistol with 2 reloads, 2 frag grenades, 2 krak grenades, rebreather, carapace on all locations except head.

---
Padre Lankester Merrin
Male; right handed; 81 standard years old; unremarkable appearance; no apparent bionic augmentation or psychic talent.

Padre Lankester Merrin has served as an Imperial Preacher on a variety of systems for the best part of 30 years. Originally trained as a medicae serving with various Imperial Missions, Merrin decided to take up the mantle of a preacher in his late twenties. A self confessed scholar and amateur archaeologist, Merrin was inducted into the retinue of Inquisitor Wah Yu after he succesfully exorcised the demon from a possessed young girl in one of the Missions he was visiting. Merrin now travels with Yu's Interrogator Vilchem Ilya. A devout preacher, Merrin brings little in the way of combat ability; instead, it is his sage council and knowledge of daemonic exorcism that have benefited Ilya as they did Yu before him.

WS - 20
BS - 20
St - 30
To - 40
In - 70
Wp - 75
Sg - 50
Nv - 75
Ld - 40

Talents – Force of Will, Medic, Word of the Emperor.

Equipment set- Las-pistol with 2 reloads, med-kit, Aquila charm (hexagrammic wards). Robes on all locations except head.

---
2 Yamabushi Exorcists
Both are male; right handed; 47 standard years old; sallow, unnatural complexion; no apparent bionic augmentation; Low Delta psychic potential.

The Yamabushi are one of the few Imperial institutions permitted by the Inquisition to train and develop individuals with specific psychic talents. Originally founded by Malleus Inquisitor Shoki in the 36th millineum, the Yamabushi are specifically trained to root out and nullify rogue psykers and assist in the banishment of the daemonic. Though all Yamabushi have no small skill with the staff, their goals are primarily achieved via their psychic talent. Interrogator Vilchem Ilya, like his master before him, makes frequent use of the Yamabushi Temple.

WS - 60
BS - 20
St - 30
To - 30
In - 40
Wp - 75
Sg - 40
Nv - 75
Ld - 20

Talents – Detection.

Equipment set- Laspistol, staff, psychic hood. Flak armour on chest and abdomen, robes on all other locations except head.

---

How does this warband look? I'd really appreciate any feedback before I go about modelling them up. :)

Askil the Undecided
12-07-2009, 09:32
Sorry to say it but Padre Merrin simply doesn't fit the mythos you don't get pacifistic priests in the 40k universe. The function of the priests of the ecclesiarchy is to keep people stupid, scared, angry and loyal they are hatemongers and bigots spewing a repellant and xenophobic creed of permitted genocide and rightous annihilation to all opposition.

I like the character but it seems he'd be more likely to be purged for insufficient zeal than anything else.

korskarnkai
12-07-2009, 09:48
haha... fair enough, I'll edit it!

huntarolo
12-08-2009, 20:29

Your stats add upto 642! take about 57 points off that total and you might be getting to a sensible level for a powerful but not utterly immortal character that can do everything.

A warded powersword (which you never mentioned him getting), the second best armour (with helm) and a conversion field? Who the hell is this guy? There are Inquisitor lords with less gear than this.

If he's so utterly unremarkable why does he have leader? Surely being unremarkable and swaddled in armour it'd be hard to tell him from a soldier with a fancy shiny sword?

You seem to be having problems with the gothic aspect of the 40k verse. Basically this is it.

Everything sucks, nobody has much of an idea what's happening or much practical knowledge beyond their immediate skillset, everything wants you dead.

Ex-Guard, noble, sword-deullist, medic, gunfighter, heroic leaders don't exist nobody is that multiskilled. Getting a stat above 70 means you have bevoted a significant portion of your life excluding other activities to perfect that one aspect of yourself.

as he said he's just getting into inquisitor : ) i dont want spam saying anything bad back =/ hate arguements makes my brain leak :D

Colonel Marbi Chora
15-08-2009, 04:13
Vilchem Jaques Ilya was born to a moderately wealthy family on Janos Secondus, a peaceful, mostly arid agri world 11 light years east of Fenris. In his late teens he enlisted in the Imperial Guard as a general infantryman...

For me, the only thing that is making me itch is how a wealthy kid like him wasn't promoted to a status of Corperal or perhaps Sergeant. From what i've seen of the 41st millenium money speaks more than skill. And unless they were conscripted, wealthy young men from peaceful agri worlds tend to be given a rank above private.

I guess I have to say that his return to his homeworld sounds a little off for me. I would't expect a footslogger to get a transfer that easily- perhaps he served for the minimum amount of service (In the book Rebel Winter, the soldiers are given a chance to return home after ten years of service), and applied for new training whe he got home?

Besides that, I think his background is good, and his stats require little tweaking. Good job.

korskarnkai
15-08-2009, 12:04
Thanks for the feedback mate!

For me, the only thing that is making me itch is how a wealthy kid like him wasn't promoted to a status of Corperal or perhaps Sergeant. From what i've seen of the 41st millenium money speaks more than skill. And unless they were conscripted, wealthy young men from peaceful agri worlds tend to be given a rank above private.
I agree 100%. But with Ilya, I was trying to get across that he joined on a whim almost as an act of defiance to his parents who could have bought a commission for him. As for not going up through the ranks, that was my attempt to show his apathy rather than incompetance. I'm not sure if you've ever seen the movie Unbreakable, but I wanted Ilya to be a bit like Bruce Willis' character: apathetic and unfulfilled by his life, but once he discovers his "purpose" utterly driven and scarily competent.

I guess I have to say that his return to his homeworld sounds a little off for me. I would't expect a footslogger to get a transfer that easily- perhaps he served for the minimum amount of service (In the book Rebel Winter, the soldiers are given a chance to return home after ten years of service), and applied for new training whe he got home?
Yeah I didn't like that bit myself, but I needed to give Ilya a reason to go to Andles by himself. I like your version better, thanks!

Besides that, I think his background is good, and his stats require little tweaking. Good job.
What do you think of the dagger? The intention is to make it a powerful, if unconventional anti-demon weapon. I can't decide to leave it as it is now (ie casting Banishment on anything it stabs) or to change it to an Annointed Weapon (from Alex Nelson's Swords of the Faithful =][= article) that gives the wielder the Santuary ability (which would be similar to how a Phurba dagger works in Tibetan mythology).

Thanks again mate!

kaled
15-08-2009, 12:44
The Yamabushi are one of the few Imperial institutions permitted by the Inquisition to train and develop individuals with specific psychic talents.As the Adeptus Astra Telepathica have something of a monopoly on training psykers in the Imperium and work closely with the Inquisition, I would add a line in here to say that although originally founded by an Inquisitor, the temple has since been absorbed into the Scholastia Psykana and now trains psykers speciifically to support the Inquisition.

I can't decide to leave it as it is now (ie casting Banishment on anything it stabs) or to change it to an Annointed Weapon (from Alex Nelson's Swords of the Faithful =][= article) that gives the wielder the Santuary abilityEither sounds fine to me - probably best to pick one for now and see how it goes in the game - there's nothing to stop you changing it later if you find it doesn't work as you wanted.

korskarnkai
15-08-2009, 13:30
As the Adeptus Astra Telepathica have something of a monopoly on training psykers in the Imperium and work closely with the Inquisition, I would add a line in here to say that although originally founded by an Inquisitor, the temple has since been absorbed into the Scholastia Psykana and now trains psykers speciifically to support the Inquisition.
Ok, will do, thanks (as an aside, the yamabushi are a group of Japanese monks historically attributed with mystical powers who specialised in exorcism :) ).

Either sounds fine to me - probably best to pick one for now and see how it goes in the game - there's nothing to stop you changing it later if you find it doesn't work as you wanted.
Fair enough. The banishment version makes Ilya more of a serious combatant threat to daemons, whilst the sanctuary version makes for more of an exorcist with some anti-daemon combat ability . As far as I can tell, anyway.

precinctomega
21-08-2009, 11:51
Point of information:

the yamabushi are a group of Japanese monks historically attributed with mystical powers who specialised in exorcism

Whilst certainly "warrior monks" in the truest sense of the word, the yamabushi have not historically been attributed with any more mystical powers than any other type of monk. Moreover, "yamabushi" was not the name of a movement, but a collective term imposed upon a hugely-disparate number of hermetic ascetics who never formed any sort of movement or organized collective.

I like the idea, in principle, of a licensed or franchised operation training pyskers at the behest of the Inquisition, but I don't think that a Japanese title is appropriate, and not this one in particular.

R.

korskarnkai
21-08-2009, 13:59
Point of information:

Whilst certainly "warrior monks" in the truest sense of the word, the yamabushi have not historically been attributed with any more mystical powers than any other type of monk.
From wikipedia:
Yamabushi (山伏?) (Literally: "One who lies/hides in the mountains")[1] are Japanese mountain ascetic hermits[1] with a long tradition as mighty warriors endowed with supernatural powers. [/i]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yamabushi

Moreover, "yamabushi" was not the name of a movement, but a collective term imposed upon a hugely-disparate number of hermetic ascetics who never formed any sort of movement or organized collective.
Fair enough, though I wasn't really suggesting they were. Even so, there were most certainly confederations and alliances between temples.

I like the idea, in principle, of a licensed or franchised operation training pyskers at the behest of the Inquisition, but I don't think that a Japanese title is appropriate, and not this one in particular.
R.
Why? Does everything in 40k have to be bad latin and/or basic stereotypes? It's just a name I chose for a laugh, like the character Lankester Merrin, named for the title character of the movie The Exorcist.

Or am I missing your point completely?

MarcoSkoll
21-08-2009, 23:39
Why? Does everything in 40k have to be bad latin and/or basic stereotypes?
No. But as a general rule, Eastern concepts are few and far between in the Imperium.

Nippophilia (attraction to Japanese culture, not attraction to nipples!) is a cliché in its own right these days. Too many characters with katanas, even if they're not associated with Asian culture in any other way - to pick just one thing that's a bit too common. (To make that particular point worse, a lot of "katanas" aren't.)

The Imperium is very much developed with a Western flavour, not an Eastern one. I've got Imperial characters developed with backgrounds based around English, American, French, Welsh, German, Australian, Italian and Scandinavian cultures - all Western, with reason.

It's really only the Tau who are associated with Eastern cultures frequently.

korskarnkai
22-08-2009, 01:47
Fair enough. Though its not like my guys are all carrying katanas and being Mary Sue ninjas and stuff, they are just psyker defence. There are also the obviously Mongolian inspired White Scars and IG SC too.

In any case, I'll have a think of how to redo them.

MarcoSkoll
22-08-2009, 17:23
There are also the obviously Mongolian inspired White Scars and IG SC too.
No, it's not all Western... but in the majority, it is. Bear in mind that the White Scars are not given an obviously Eastern name.

You can use some Eastern ideas... but you shouldn't really associate them with obviously Eastern names.