PDA

View Full Version : Curse of the Leper Effect on Warmachines

Wargamejunkie
15-10-2008, 16:53
Looking at the Warriors of Chaos book and reading the Nurgle Lore I had a curious thought.

What if Curse of the Leper was cast on a warmachine and its crew? Since the warmachine does not have a strength (meaning it is 0) would it immediately crumble?

Not that it would ever be a reliable way to stop warmachines as it only has a range of 18". I just wanted to know if others saw this.

theunwantedbeing
15-10-2008, 17:02
Page 5 BrB

Looks like it's rather good for taking out war machines.

SolarHammer
15-10-2008, 17:06
Hmm. Looks like it.

Some creatures have been given a value of '0' (sometimes shown as a dash: '-') for certain characteristics... If at any time a model's Strength, Toughness or Wounds are reduced to 0 or less by magic or a special rule, it is slain and removed from play.

As the War Machine starts play with its Strength already at 0, magic or special effects cannot reduce it to 0, but the spell will reduce it to less than 0 (-1 to be exact), thus triggering the page 5 rule.

Seems daft, but legit...

Nighthawke
15-10-2008, 17:14
do chaos have an item that lets a charater fly?
if not i think we will see quite a few nurlge deamon princes

Sergeant Uriel Ventris
15-10-2008, 17:16
HMMM... that's very interesting. It certainly seems, at first glance, to be more of on overlooked item than an intentional strategy. Somebody get me a line to a games developer!

SolarHammer
15-10-2008, 17:16
Even on foot, he marches 8" a turn, so you'll be in range turn 2.

Still have to roll the spell first...

Certainly not something I would rely on...

Wargamejunkie
15-10-2008, 17:41
Oh by no means would I rely on it. I was just reading wanted to know if this was noticed before.

Whenever I see something that looks good in the rules I
1) Reread the rule(s) in question
2) Get others opinion to prevent tunnel vision

It has saved me many times.

Anton
15-10-2008, 18:27
What's the casting value of this spell?

ghanson
15-10-2008, 18:49
10+
Spell seems good for those hell-blasters.

Sergeant Uriel Ventris
15-10-2008, 19:51
I'll have to make sure and not point this out to my buddy who plays WARRIORS (it's cooler when it's all in caps) unless he's playing our friend with Dwarfs.

Harwammer
15-10-2008, 22:01
I was under the impression you could do this with the old HoC nurgle lore RIP spell, poxes.

It reduces an enemy units ws, bs, s and t by -1* to a minimum of 1. You'd cast it on a warmachine unit, forcing its strength to become the minimum value allowed by the spell, 1, then end the spell, causing the warmachines strength to return to zero, killing it dead.

I heard people call cheese at this though.

*(reduce by minus one: means --1. Yea I know that can bring some dumb raw :D)

Arnizipal
17-10-2008, 10:56
I think it's a legit tactic. Orcs and Goblins can do the same thing with Mork Wants Ya! (except the greenskin spell will also affect Steam Tanks as it has a Strength value).

Braad
17-10-2008, 11:46
I don't really see the relation with Mork wants ya... That spell requires an initiative test, and if failed, the target sustains D6 S10 hits. That's like the machine is not able to jump out of the way, and gets smashed, which IMO is perfectly explainable.

Reducing S values of warmachines that don't have it, and thereby killing it, on the other hand sounds quite weird. The reason warmachines don't have a Strenght value, is because they are themselves not supposed to hurt something, and use the S value of its attack instead.
I would question RAW against RAI here.

Can anyone give a bit more information about what the spell exactly does? Not everyone is lucky enough to own a copy of the book already.

Atrahasis
17-10-2008, 11:51
This is on the list to be submitted to the Design Team. Full list is linked in my sig.

Arnizipal
17-10-2008, 16:58
It's not that to imagine. Leprosy makes living tissue rot, so this magic spell makes unliving things decompose as well. A warmachine would just rot/rust until it becomes unusable.