PDA

View Full Version : Space Wolves get 5th ed Space Marine stuff?

Lisiecki
15-10-2008, 20:29
Ive read in a few threads so far, that Space Wolves have access to shiny things from the new C:SM.

am i reading that correctly?
and if i am, where would i find the document that spells out exactly what that means?

Unclejo
15-10-2008, 21:17
Codex: Space Wolves, funnily enough.

A lot of the rules in there state that you should refer to Codex: Space Marines. IIRC most of the sublist armies used to use a similar formula (Craftworld Eldar at least, were Armageddon and EoT self contained lists?). Codex: Space Wolves has never been updated into the newer format.

Dweomer
15-10-2008, 21:20
Also, you can reference the Space Wolves FAQ. It denotes several cases where the rules have been modified (Drop Pods, Ven Dreads) from C:SM standard, as well as backing up that certain items (Storm Shields) function per C:SM.

ehlijen
16-10-2008, 00:47
For some of the new gear, you do indeed get to look at the new SM codex. For some of the gear, however, you do not.

Basically: If it doesn't have rules in codex space wolves (such as is the case for cyclones), you use the ones from the new codex.
If it's written in italics in the armoury you use the new rules despite the space wolf codex having the older rules (such as for storm shields).
If it's not in the armoury and the space wolf codex has the rules, even if it's just in the weapons summary, you use those rules (that means for example, the old assault cannon).

If something is not mentioned at all in codex space wolves and it is also not mentioned in the entries in codex SM that the wolf codex (or the faq) refers to, you don't get it to take it (such as most of the new untis, of example the thunderfires, vanguards, sternguards etc...).

keatsmeister
16-10-2008, 00:49
Roll on that updated Codex...

Dark14
16-10-2008, 03:22
you cant use the new SM book if your wolves :(. Same thing as chaos,dark angels....

cailus
16-10-2008, 03:45
you cant use the new SM book if your wolves :(. Same thing as chaos,dark angels....

Yes you can as the Space Wolves codex specifically states that you have to refer to the Space Marine codex to obtain rules for a lot of common items.

So in fact in order to use the Space Wolves mini-dex you need to use the Marine codex.

DA/BA/BT/Chaos are self-contained books and contain all rules they require to play with (except those in FAQ's which according to GW we shouldn't have because they're streamlining it so you only need the Codex and Rulebook to play).

Victomorga
16-10-2008, 04:56

no, that's wrong.

Yes you can as the Space Wolves codex specifically states that you have to refer to the Space Marine codex to obtain rules for a lot of common items.

So in fact in order to use the Space Wolves mini-dex you need to use the Marine codex.

DA/BA/BT/Chaos are self-contained books and contain all rules they require to play with (except those in FAQ's which according to GW we shouldn't have because they're streamlining it so you only need the Codex and Rulebook to play).

that is right. it's all in the SW codex and FAQ.

Lionsbane
16-10-2008, 05:14
If it's not in the armoury and the space wolf codex has the rules, even if it's just in the weapons summary, you use those rules (that means for example, the old assault cannon).

Interesting, most of the time people ignore summaries as they are so often wrong. But I'm certainly willing to trade new Termie Assault Cannon for old Plasma on everyone, and having a 4+ invunerable save on the Wolf Helm of Russ(might actually be worth taking now). I'm sure I can find a few more tidbits in the summary if I look. Also will be kinda funny explaining to opponents of Space Wolves that their Termies only get H3 non-rending Assault Cannon, but their Crusaders get H4 Rending versions.

The Space Wolf Codex only has rules for Space Wolf Specific wargear.

ehlijen
16-10-2008, 06:15
Yes, the summaries have been known to contradict entries in the same codex, and in all those cases we are told to use the original entry.

Flat out ignoring the summary when it is the ONLY source of a certain piece of information the codex offers and taking it instead from another codex on no grounds (at no point are the space wolves told to refer to the SM codex for things that are actually stated in their own codex) is just wishful thinking.

Or are you seriously saying that my IG get S4 shotguns now? As, according to lionsbane, summaries are always wrong and should therefore be ignored, I'll just look in the only non-summary place for shotguns in existance and tada: IG get S4 shotguns...?

Summaries are only wrong if they contradict the entry in the same codex, otherwise they have to be treated as correct.

Lisiecki
16-10-2008, 17:09
Thank you all quite kindly.
Im not a very good player, and for some reasion, it never occured to me that "Codex: Space Marines" would now review to the new codex...

I have to admit i like the StromShields

Wolf Guard just got a bit more disgusting...