PDA

View Full Version : Chaos Lord on Daemonic steed base size?

Hammerhelden
16-10-2008, 08:00
Should have mentioned this in my other post but I didn't feel like editing it again lol.

Anyway, the new chaos lord on Daemonic steed is advertised as riding just that, a daemonic steed. I know that legally you are supposed to base miniatures on the base that they come with, but how does this effect minis that you are using to represent an entirely different ruleset? I ask because the steed the lord rides is obviously wearing barding, and it irks me that a daemonic mount cannot actually wear barding, so were I to use the mini as a Chaos Lord riding a Barded Chaos Steed, would I still be forced to use the 50x50 base instead of a 25x50 base?

The army book mentions that daemonic mounts of all types do indeed utilize a 50x50 base, which is fine by me, but there is no mention of official base size for something riding a chaos steed, and so the only assumtion I can make as to the base size for a chaos steed is the 25x50 bases that are standard for cavalry minis, and in this particular case, chaos knight models.

theunwantedbeing
16-10-2008, 08:09
Used as a barded steed, cavalry base.
Used as a Daemon steed, 50mm base.

Hammerhelden
16-10-2008, 08:16
That is what I'd be inclined to do, I'm just curious as to whether someone could put up a fight against it in a tournament. Of course if someone did I'd never play them again, but I'm not sure if my concern is even really a valid one.

theunwantedbeing
16-10-2008, 08:20
A model used as a barded chaos steed needs to go on a cavalry base, as thats the base a barded chaos steed goes on.
You can use a model of nothing, you can use a model of a 300ft tall flying dragon complete with working sewage sytem and onboard power generator, so long as the base is a cavalry base, it is legal.

Same goes for a daemonic steed only you replace cavalry base with 50mm x 50mm base.

Not sure why anyone would complain at a tournament.
Although I dont think it's really reason enough not to play them ever again.
Perhaps I am missing some vital bit of info here?

Hammerhelden
16-10-2008, 08:26
Well, its just that I was under the impression that the strict ruling on the base size of a model was that is has to use the base it is supplied with.

theunwantedbeing
16-10-2008, 08:34
Yes, you use the base the model comes with.

Of course, this goes out the window when you use the model as something else with a different base size.
ie.

A goblin as a high elf star dragon.
The goblin comes on a 20mm x 20mm base
The star dragon comes on a 50mm x 100mm chariot base.

To legally use a goblin as a star dragon, the goblin needs to be mounted on a 50mm x 100mm chariot base.
And to legally use the star dragon a a goblin, it needs to be mounted on a 20mm x 20mm base.

You seem to be sugguesting that in my above example some people would argue that you should use the goblin who is really a star dragon, on a goblin base.
Which is very silly indeed.

DeathlessDraich
16-10-2008, 10:04
Well, its just that I was under the impression that the strict ruling on the base size of a model was that is has to use the base it is supplied with.

This was mentioned in a recent FAQ I believe.
Anyone remembers which?

siphon101
19-10-2008, 06:03

That rule only works if the model you're playing represents what it is. In other words, if a daemonic mount comes on a 50mm base then a daemonic mount needs to be on a 50mm base.

But if that daemonic mount is being used as a chaos steed then it needs to be on the base a chaos steed comes with.

Think of it this way, you don't use the base the model you're actually using comes with, you use the base that the model that your model is representing comes with. If your daemonic steed is being used as a chaos mount, then use the base for a chaos mount.