PDA

View Full Version : The White Lions go to War - The Army List

Lavieth
16-10-2008, 14:14
Hello,

This is going to be the basis for my Chrace themed army. I have always liked the look of the white lions and the fluff for them, but I never liked using a mainly infantry force, thus I always did my caledor thing. But I have become bored with it, and I am seeing lists similar to mine all over the place. So I have decided to try and grow as a tacticia, and switched up my list.

So here is what I am thinking:

CHARACTERS

Prince
hand weapon
great weapon
heavy armour
shield
vambrances of defence
lion cloak (mask of the merlord) - just a name change to the item
Total: 236 pts

So I decided I'd just go nice and simple here. The mask is only for the additional +1 to the AS. This will make him more resistant when using the great weapon (4+ re-roll and 4+ ward), and quite hard with the hand weapon (2+ re-roll and 4+ ward) He's not overly scary, but if need be he can take out softer things with his S4 of tougher things with S6.

Korhil
hand weapon
chayal
heavy armour
pelt of charandis
Total: 140 pts

Only makes sense to have the captain of the white lions in an army about them. I do have a question on him. Since chayal doesn't use 2 hands anymore does this mean he now gets +1A for a total of 4 atacks? Also the pelt ok so it increases his armour save to 4+ in close combat and 3+ to shooting. As a lion cloak wouldn't it have already been adding +2 to his shooting AS value? Standard white lions already have a 3+ AS vs shooting, so I was curious if it was mean't to say adds +3 to save vs shooting?

Mage
extra level
fing of fury
silver wand
Total: 185 pts

This mage takes the lore of High Magic. With the additional spell I shoud have enough variety between destructive and protective spells to help out the army.

Mage
extra level
the tricksters pendant
dispel scroll
Total: 185

This mage will take the lore of Beasts. It's fluffy, and has a few good spells that can assist my army. The pendant is there for 2 reasons it potential to cuase a lot of pain to a magic army, and the commical value of them finding out they need to roll again and teh result is my choice.

CORE

10 Archers
long bow
Total: 110 pts

10 Archers
long bow

SPECIAL

18 White Lions
hand weapon
great weapon
heavy armour
white lion cloak
full command
lion standard
amulet of fire
Total: 345 pts

18 White Lions
hand weapon
great weapon
heavy armour
white lion cloak
full command
banner of arcane protection
gem of courage
Total: 335 pts

Lion Chariot of Chrace
hand weapon
great weapon

Lion Chariot of Chrace
hand weapon
great weapon

7 Scouts of Chrace (Shadow Warriors)
hand weapon
long bow
light armour
Shadow Walker
Total: 124 pts

I will write up some fluff for them being Shadow Warriors who came over to Chrace because of the frequent Druchii raiding routes, and were adopted into the force. Upon adoption into the force they were all gifted a lion cloack etc.

Great Eagle
vicious talons
Total: 50 pts

Great Eagle
vicious talons

Repeater Bolt Thrower
hand weapon
light armour
Total: 100 pts

Army Total: 2,250

I know they work better in pairs, but I can't find the ponts to spare to get a second one, and I think in an armr that has over all high S attacks I should be ok. On top of the 27 Shots per turn I am already getting via the archers and shadow warriors I should be able to thin a rank off a unit or 2.

So this is the list. C&C is welcomed.

- Lavieth

WhiteKnight
16-10-2008, 14:41
Alright, I like the fluff of the army. The prince CANNOT have a lion cloak. It would've said in the armor if he could take it, sorry.But you put mask of the merlord. Remember, both of them don't have the same ability so you have to use it using mask of the merlord abilities. And the Prince could've had a better armor save, but your running fluff so no armor of caledor. Korhil's Pelt only gives him a +1 to his armor save, he still remains at a 3+ against shooting but he's also immune to poison so lizards or skaven with poison attacks got nothing on korhil.The units look good and I like how you integrated the scouts.

Lavieth
16-10-2008, 15:33
yeah I know he can't just take one.
I've just decided to change the name of the mask to fit the theme better, but aside from the name change it does everything and only what the mask does :)

Yeah I knwo he could have had a better save, but this way he stays cheap, and his save is still decent.

Thanks for the Korhil clear up. In 12 years of gaming I've only used a special character twice .. both times I was disappointed.

Stay tuned to find out the full story on them. I'm in the midst of typing it up this afternoon.

I forgot to mention all units in this army will be sporting a lion cloak of some sort. This will help with a unified look and will certainly make my army rather unique :)

LION
16-10-2008, 20:03
;) I like the idea & the Fluff is growing on me. I would go with most of your choices, but recon in 2225 another Lion Chariot would not go amiss (Would be a great modeling Project with Korhil in it!). You could drop an Eagle & Bolt Thrower to get it.

The Crazy part of me would have gone for a Prince on a Manticore Conversion & counted it as a Griffin. Yes a Flying Manitcore Lion Lord....Maybe White Lion Riding Knights counting as DPrinces? But then again I do have a thing about Wings, Large Cats and over the top conversions..Good luck & looking forward to the models....LION

Lavieth
16-10-2008, 20:49
Oddly enough I have started that conversion. My biggest concern i steh wings. I dont want to use teh dragon wings, so I was thinking about ordering the Hippogryphs wings instead. I mean I'm sure there are different forms of manticore species just there there are various peggy species :)

Just wait for my project log for this to start up and you'll see it :)

See I was thinking about putting Korhil in the LC, but he woudl be teh target right away. So i figure when I expand the list I wil linclud a 3rd as well as a 3rd WL unit, and Archmage :)

Time of Madness
16-10-2008, 21:05
I have a few problems with the list currently.

1 - My biggest problem "theme-wise" right now is the inclusion of so much magic and shooting. To me a Chrace list should be based on melee units supported by characters. Keep the magic/bolt throwers to a minimum.

2 - To make this type of list successful you really need to bring along a bsb. The bsb gives the white lion units stubborn re-rolls for break tests and adds a little more punch in combat.

Here's a quick peak of a 2000pt chrace list I have used with great success in the past.

CHARACTERS

Prince
- Griffon
- Great Weapon
- Armour of Caledor
- Vambraces
- Amulet of Light
= 457pts

Noble
- BSB
- great weapon/dragon armour and shield
- Guardian Phoenix
- Gem of Courage
= 161pts

Mage
- Level 1
- 2 Dispel scrolls
- Silver wand
= 150pts

CORE

10 Archers
= 120pts

10 Archers
= 120pts

SPECIAL

17 White Lions
- Full command
- Lion Standard
*BSB here*
= 310pts

18 White Lions
- Full command
- Warbanner
= 320pts

Lion Chariot
= 140pts

Lion Chariot
= 140pts

RARE

2 Eagles
= 100pts

TOTAL POINTS = 1998pts

I realize I have a prince on griffon, but note the lack of magic/bolt throwers and the inclusion of a bsb. Hope this helps and steers you in the proper "thematic" direction. Long live Chrace!

On a side note, you spelt Chrace wrong :(

Time of Madnbess

Lavieth
17-10-2008, 03:37
Thanks for the feedback.

As for your biggest problem "theme wise" I don't see an issue at all. I elves of all kind go to Saphery to learn the magical arts, and why wouldn't the elves of Chrace be any different? After all they aren't that far away, and my mages will be using apropriate lores.

Quoting from the 5th edition HE army book pg11

"Chrace is the main route through which the Dark Elves seek access to the Inner Lands. Elf troops move though en route to war with the Dark Elves. As the war has gone on, the lands have become perilous. The Isolated communities have become fortified. The locals are great hunters and scouts, adept at guerilla warfare and skilled with bow, sword and axe"

I take that as they are as versatile an army as any other, however with Chrace having so many mountains and such rocky terrain, the use of cavalry is not as common.

But to each their own. We are all entitled to our opinins on what we feel is fluffy after all.

I would really like to include a BSB, but that would be a.) lose Korhil or b.) a Mage, and currently I feel both are pretty useful. However if after a few games I feel one isn't working I will swap.

To continue with corrections. My thanks for pointing that out. ... You however spelt your own name wrong ;) "Time of Madness"

Cheers!

- Lavieth

also the prince on griffon is still fluffy ;) Any pics of it?

LION
17-10-2008, 07:20
:DTime of Madness: LionPelt Handbags at dawn! Or is that Caledor Armour and a Talisman I see Hidden underneath your XXL Lion Cloak with Griffin Feather Trim?

;)Lavieth: Glad it not just me with large model disease. I am sure more feather based wings would work. I think I recall earlier GW Manticores with feathered Eagle Style Wings. They looked far better. I agree that the Plastic Dragon wings on the Dark Elf Manticore look like a last min add on. I played against a 2 Manticore List recently and my opponent had changed one set of Plastic Dragon Wings for Plastic Balrog Wings. It was an improvememt. However feathers would make the \ Manticore More Nobel and High Elf Compatable. Looking forward to your Models LION

Lavieth
17-10-2008, 20:15
So after much consideration, and disucssing with other people. Using the suggested BS is in, and for now Korhil is out.

So the list as it looks now is:

CHARACTERS

Prince
hand weapon
great weapon
heavy armour
shield
vambrances of defence
white lion cloak (mask of the merlord)
Total: 236 pts

Noble
bsb
hand weapon
sword of might
heavy armour
shield
helm of fortune
Total: 156 pts

Mage
extra level
fing of fury
Total: 175 pts

Mage
extra level
the tricksters pendant
dispel scroll
Total: 185

CORE

10 Archers
long bow

10 Archers
long bow

SPECIAL

18 White Lions
hand weapon
great weapon
heavy armour
white lion cloak
full command
lion standard
amulet of fire
Total: 345 pts

18 White Lions
hand weapon
great weapon
heavy armour
white lion cloak
full command
banner of arcane protection
Total: 325 pts

Lion Chariot of Charace
hand weapon
great weapon

Lion Chariot of Charace
hand weapon
great weapon

7 Scouts of Charace (Shadow Warriors)
hand weapon
long bow
light armour
Shadow Walker
Total: 124 pts

Great Eagle
vicious talons

Great Eagle
vicious talons

As Time of Madness pointed out it would be more benficial to have this than Korhil.

So to fit him in the list I removed the silver wand from the one mage, and the gem of courage (no point in needing to rol 3D6 if I get a re-roll)

- Lavieth

Repeater Bolt Thrower
hand weapon
light armour
Total: 100 pts

Total: 2246