PDA

View Full Version : Where to find.....

Inquisitor Castleman
16-10-2008, 18:25
54mm female heads?

All I have found a set of 5 on HISTOREX. However, they're bald! I struggle to fill in a gap with GS let alone sculpt realistic hair. Is there anywhere else that sells heads, or a cheap(ish) full 54mm miniature I can butcher?
As an idea, Im looking for something similar to the daemon huntress head, but with longer hair.

kaled
16-10-2008, 18:49
All the heads I've ever found are either bald are have their hair up in a bun or something - no doubt because that makes it a lot easier to use them on different models. However, sculpting hair is fairly easy. I know how you feel about sculpting, I was like that a couple of years ago but now I manage pretty well - the only way to learn is to try and you'll be surprised at how quickly you improve.

The easiest thing to do would be to get the daemonhuntress head if you can (try the Arcadian Smugglers Ring) and sculpt on hair extensions, but if you can't get hold of that head buy a bald one and have a go at sculpting all of her hair yourself. If it doesn't look right, just peel it off and try again - it took me at least four or five attempts to get half decent hair the first time, so don't get disheartened if it doesn't work the first time. I can probably point you at some tutorials if you're interested?

- Dave

Inquisitor Castleman
17-10-2008, 12:28
Yeah if you could please. All Ive found arent that great, even the GWs own Konversion clinic tutorial is rubbish.

Also, this is embarrassing for me to ask, but what is the 54mm ratio, 1:35?

kaled
17-10-2008, 17:49
Yeah if you could please. All Ive found arent that great, even the GWs own Konversion clinic tutorial is rubbish.Hmm, I thought the GW tutorial was pretty good, it covered all the basics. Sorry, I can no longer find the one I was going to point you at - thought I'd saved a link but obviously not. This (http://www.miez.nl/putty-n-paint/tutes/sculpting_tut01.pdf) tutorial has a short section on hair, as does this (http://groups.msn.com/SculptingMiniatures/foldsandcloth.msnw) one.

Basically you just add either 'snakes' or a 'veil' of greenstuff where you want the hair to be, then drag a well lubricated sculpting tool downwards through the putty to carve it into strands. Finally use a knife to seperate out a few very fine strands. As it sounds like you just want straight hair in a fairly static style then you should be able to manage something half decent in a couple of attempts.

Also, this is embarrassing for me to ask, but what is the 54mm ratio, 1:35?More like 1:32, however GWs miniatures are generally more 'heroic' in their proportions than models from other manufacturers. That said, there is a fair amount of variation between models in the GW range.