PDA

View Full Version : A Small Mobile, Shooty Army ?

Griffin
17-10-2008, 07:20
I'm looking to build a new army - now although I love my lizzies to bits, their range and shooting leaves alot to be desired. Their Magic and CC are ALOT of fun. BUT I want something that I can run rings around my opponent while Peppering him with Shooting and spells.

I'm looking to build a Small (model wise) force that can put out a large volume of shooting and/or magic. So far I can think of Wood elves and ?

What can you recommend ?

havoc626
17-10-2008, 07:33
Wood Elves seem to be exactly what you are looking for. They are fast skirmishers that run around shooting at their enemy until they are weak enough to be able to be killed by the WE troops. As far as model count goes, they don't get a massive number of them, but not a tiny amount either.

Kamizanate
17-10-2008, 07:34
Dark elves. Got Dark Riders, heroes on flying mounts with spells/ranged weapons, and reaper bolt throwers and repeater crossbowmen for a more static shooty base.

However, Wood Elves seem EXACTLY what you are looking for.

SilentTempest
17-10-2008, 08:30
Wood Elves are probably your best bet. Dark Elves would be okay, but their range is a bit shorter and if you build a balanced army you'll probably end up with a larger army than with Wood Elves (8 point spearmen, compared to 12 points for the cheapest WE model). The Wood Elf longbows have a greater range than the Repeated Crossbows of the DE as well, although not as many shots. WE also get to move and shoot without penalty. Their magic, however, is not as destructive as that of the Dark Elves.

I'd go Wood Elves, from what you've said so far.

Nedar
17-10-2008, 10:58
Small, mobile, shooty army. If this isn't an add for the Asrai I don't know what is.

Tizz
17-10-2008, 11:08
I'm going to second Dark Elves. While you'll suffer from moving and shooting, you'll also get twice the shots for 2 points less! (for core infantry) plus Dark Riders, Bolt Throwers, Hydra (what? it has a breath weapon! lol), awesome Shades, and handbow Corsairs! Would be a very fun army indeed

Gazak Blacktoof
17-10-2008, 11:09
As already mentioned either wood elves or dark elves. Check out the background and models and make a decision based on that. Woodelves are more mobile overall but they can't put out the volume of firepower present in a dark elf force. As examples riders and shades are IMO both respectively superior choices to glade raiders and waywatchers. Dark Elves have core fliers whilst wood elves get core skirmishers.

I don't think you can wrong with either army though.

Duke Georgal
17-10-2008, 12:37
My vote is cast for Dark Elves.

Dark riders with multiple armor piercing shots should fill your bill.

Lordsaradain
17-10-2008, 12:51
Dark elves. They have great magic and shooting IMO. Dark riders, characters on manticore or dark pegasuses, prehaps a hydra and some cold one knights too. :)

Orcboy_Phil
17-10-2008, 14:33
This really sounds like an Elf army to me. You could easily do this with any elf army, however I would say that wood elves would be the best option here. You could also conceivably do this with a DoC Tzeentch army, with three units of Horrors, 3 Heralds on Disc, A LoC and 2 units of Flammers. Don't kniw how many points this would be, but you would be running rings around the enemy with you charecters and lasting them to death with the horrors and Flammers (both rather slow however).

Griffin
17-10-2008, 14:50
I think woodsies are the best bet. Heroes with Shooting + Glade Guard + Glade riders seem like a good start.

theunwantedbeing
17-10-2008, 14:57
Empire.
Mage heavy Pistolier army with a few knight's as backup.(and to fill the core requirement)

Morph
17-10-2008, 15:23
Scouting skinks, salamaders, skink shamans.

Is that what you're looking for?

Frankly
17-10-2008, 15:28
Yeah, Southlands or dark elves.

Ixquic
17-10-2008, 15:30
Empire.
Mage heavy Pistolier army with a few knight's as backup.(and to fill the core requirement)

I've always wanted to run an Empire army with a ton of pistolers and outriders. Not sure how well it would do...

The Red Scourge
17-10-2008, 16:00
Woodies outperforms those dark elves any time.

So try them out and when they finally get a 7th edition book, you can enjoy new army syndrome and cries of broken cheese :cheese:

loveless
17-10-2008, 17:02
Wood Elves. I haven't Mathhammered it, but I'd guess that they can outshoot the Dark Elves on a regular basis. They don't hit as hard, but they can move while laying down fire probably better than any other army.

Laurela
17-10-2008, 18:03
Tomb Kings, archers will always hit on 5+ with moving, light horsies can move and shoot on 5+, their magic is great which can let your troops move again and/or shoot again if needed.

Doomseer
17-10-2008, 18:54
Another vote for the Asrai!

Jolon
17-10-2008, 22:11
yes, your desires do indeed point to wood elves.

Their army is based off the idea.

Grom Wronghand
17-10-2008, 22:25
Chaos Warriors are the obvious choice...

What!?

Othiem
17-10-2008, 22:44
I'll say empire, just to be different. Use all your special slots for pistoliers and outriders. Core is mostly archers, with maybe 2 small units of swordsmen to hold up the enemy where you need to. General is a captain on a pegasus with the magic bow. Mounted battle wizards for other heros, or an engineer could work in this built as well. Flagelants or Knightly Orders as desired.

mattschuur
17-10-2008, 22:50
Dark elves. There Fast Cav is good at shooting and assualting, IMHO better than Glade riders. I think Crossbowmen are equal to Glade Guard. GG have slightly longer range, no negative for moving and S4 at close but Crossbows cost less, take away Lt. infantry saves at long range and have more shots. Although Woodies are pretty good too, and their characters have more shooty weapon options.

FYI, My Dark Elf army has won 7 , lost 2 and drew 3 against Wood elfs. Repeaters might theoretically hit less % wise, but when they get a good amount of hits they are brutal.

matt schuur

Shamfrit
17-10-2008, 23:29
Don't diss the ranged ability of the Warriors of Chaos. It just comes in the Magic phase, not Shooting....

I'd go for Wood Elves however.

Nomad
17-10-2008, 23:58
Wood Elves are probably the best choice if you're looking for small, mobile, and shooty, being an army based around those three concepts. Dark Elves can do the same to an extent, if you use a lot of Dark Riders, but most of their units aren't optimised for mobile firepower in the same way that Wood Elves are. The other option is Southlands Lizardmen, although they're getting a new book soon, so it may have changed substantially. A Skink-heavy army will also be quite large, although you can include more expensive units like Terradons, Kroxigors, and Salamanders to add punch while staying mobile.

Boreas_NL
21-10-2008, 13:34
Do you want shooting? Do you want a small army? Try Dwarfs... Admitted, they are not the most mobile, but they are great fun if used in a proper gunline...

Boreas_NL
21-10-2008, 13:40
Do you want shooting? Do you want a small army? Try Dwarfs... Admitted, they are not the most mobile, but they are great fun if used in a proper gunline...

The Red Scourge
21-10-2008, 14:35
Wood Elves. I haven't Mathhammered it, but I'd guess that they can outshoot the Dark Elves on a regular basis. They don't hit as hard, but they can move while laying down fire probably better than any other army.

You don't need to hit hard against high or dark elves or wood elves for that matter T3 and low armor doesn't take much to kill ;)

Woodies do struggle with the big nasties though. Don't expect to take out many bloodthirsters or steam tanks, but you can usually win by massacring the rest of the opposing army and do expect to see a lot of massacres, when you get good at commanding your woodies :p